Trade details

I guess I bought into the hype, when the poll was up in January about would you take a 2nd for Matt Cassel, I voted yes, but I really thought the Pats would get more.

I did, too. But what I wanted was a pick in the 20s. My ideal pick was to get the Lions to trade us the #20 pick they got from Dallas. In getting the 34th pick, we only lose 290 Dallas chart points. Furthermore, with 4 1st day picks, there's a lot of flexibility to parlay that into something else. Right now it seems like a 2nd round pick, but I wonder what else may happen. Knowing that, combined with the fact that we got the $14M off the books awful quick to allow flexibility for bringing in additional talent and hopefully locking up guys like Big Vince.

OK Ive heard some more on the TB, DEN aspect of this. It seems that BB was using SP as the back up in a game of brinksmanship. The three way deal was for Cassel to go to TB for what is said to be their first. Then the Broncos and TB would trade QB's. But somewhere the deal fell through, so SP steps in and wins the lottery. Makes sense for him. If the deal goes through, he gets Vrabes for a late rounder. If it fails he wins. Makes BB in this case get the consolation prize of the second rounder, and TB goes home empty. Josh, clearly over his head here and not flexible enough, loses hard. He doesn't get the QB he wants, and he loses the QB, at least in his head for now, that he didn't. Hmmm

Wilfork aside, who are we going to allot all that new cap space? Free agent market doesn't look all that appetizing right now or am I being blind to something?

After overeacting this morning, and now after reading all the latest info and posts in PP, I will sit back and let the powers that be do their thing. I have no where near the knowledge that most of you PP people have. I revert back to the postion I took last season after Brady's injury.......cautiously optimistic. I'm learning a lot today, thx. :) popcorn
BBL when more info is available and my headache goes away. :)

Wilfork aside, who are we going to allot all that new cap space? Free agent market doesn't look all that appetizing right now or am I being blind to something?

There are a few second tier kinda guys like Shawn Springs who could bring really good value and now we have the cash to even spend time to meet with them.

NO. *I* don't have a problem with it but as some others more eloquently wrote here the PATS seem to not want to have to risk whatever THEY perceive to be possible issues. You intimated the rest on your own.

You said "extra curricular activities." I'm just curious what you meant by that. I haven't seen anything in the past about Vrabel having poor character, etc.

This year is not last year. People's sudden distrust of BB like he didn't do the best he could for the team is plain BS to ME. Or do you work for an NFL organization and I missed that? I don't find a early second rounder out of line at all EVEN with Vrabel included since there seem to be several factors that lead to him being part of the deal.

Not distrusting BB at all. Just saying he got below current market value for a good, young QB. Not to mention he also had to give up a 33 year old LB who played a major role in 3 super bowl wins as well has someone who has collected 16 sacks in his last two seasons. Just because I don't work for an NFL organization doesn't mean I can't have an opinion on a trade. This is a sports message board, people voice their opinions all the time.

People built up Cassel's value in their minds over the course of the year because he played so well and because it IS hard to find a winning QB in the league. The market for players is what it is and you don't know why this happened NOW but I bet those involved do.

Thats all fine. Chances are the patriots will get very little out of this deal. Its a great move for KC and could be a steal for them. And the reason this happened is because the pats had almost no leverage in this. They were dealing from a position of weakness since everyone knew they were trying to deal Cassel. Also the fact that whoever traded for Cassel would have to pay him a ton played something into this. There aren't many teams looking to hand out huge deals at this point. I just thought based on the current trade market, they got below value for a young starting QB. Having to throw Vrabel in also was almost like a slap in the face.

I just wish if a good deal wasn't on the table, why not wait a little to deal Cassel? Why make this move almost the second free agency started? I just think BB didn't want to have any QB controversy going into camp and of course didn't want to play Cassel.

You said "extra curricular activities." I'm just curious what you meant by that. I haven't seen anything in the past about Vrabel having poor character, etc.

Not distrusting BB at all. Just saying he got below current market value for a good, young QB. Not to mention he also had to give up a 33 year old LB who played a major role in 3 super bowl wins as well has someone who has collected 16 sacks in his last two seasons. Just because I don't work for an NFL organization doesn't mean I can't have an opinion on a trade. This is a sports message board, people voice their opinions all the time.

Thats all fine. Chances are the patriots will get very little out of this deal. Its a great move for KC and could be a steal for them. And the reason this happened is because the pats had almost no leverage in this. They were dealing from a position of weakness since everyone knew they were trying to deal Cassel. Also the fact that whoever traded for Cassel would have to pay him a ton played something into this. There aren't many teams looking to hand out huge deals at this point. I just thought based on the current trade market, they got below value for a young starting QB. Having to throw Vrabel in also was almost like a slap in the face.

I just wish if a good deal wasn't on the table, why not wait a little to deal Cassel? Why make this move almost the second free agency started? I just think BB didn't want to have any QB controversy going into camp and of course didn't want to play Cassel.

Thanks for taking the time to answer appreciated.:) You have a lot of catching up to do in a lot of threads then shall we chat again?

Back