VW Brings The Sanity

Doesn't Vince know that BB is a horrible GM and this team is a disaster?

Why would he?

He played here years ago and we live in a time where the only thing that matters is that which is right in front of your face for like the next 5 minutes.

Those that study history are, like, boring-ass boomers, mostly.

The Patriots will suck until they unsuck. And right now they suck until they prove they don't and we can all text something
provable so that none of us is wrong.

Why would he?

He played here years ago and we live in a time where the only thing that matters is that which is right in front of your face for like the next 5 minutes.

Those that study history are, like, boring-ass boomers, mostly.

The Patriots will suck until they unsuck. And right now they suck until they prove they don't and we can all text something
provable so that none of us is wrong.
I hate it that this makes so much sense....

Even in the good years, the Patriots almost always started seasons agonizingly slow. 2-2 out the gate was kind of expected. I am hoping that is at least still part of the equation with this team. Start the season with pretty vanilla offense and defense schemes, add more to the mix once BB really understands that abilities of his players, and by the 2nd quarter of the season, they start humming along. I'm going with that history until a new historical trend is established.

Even in the good years, the Patriots almost always started seasons agonizingly slow. 2-2 out the gate was kind of expected. I am hoping that is at least still part of the equation with this team. Start the season with pretty vanilla offense and defense schemes, add more to the mix once BB really understands that abilities of his players, and by the 2nd quarter of the season, they start humming along. I'm going with that history until a new historical trend is established.
Yes, this beats Targeting September

Thinking about history and our first month record while listening to all the Felgerite doom and gloom swirling around our guys, I decided to look up just the first month record and how we finished the regular season for the last 10 seasons. What this showed me was that, yes, we tend to start slowly and, no, that hasn't mattered a bit.

10 years, 6 of them with a .500 or worse first 4 games. The remainder of those seasons told a vastly different tale, but few seem to notice.

Mark Twain's quote "reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated" would seem to fit the Pats well because all the coroners around the league handed down their final judgement by early October in every one of those years. Only during the shitshow that was 2020 were those opinions valid, but.......here we are one week into the season and the banshees are already wailing.

People, and by that I mean douchebag mediots and the people that pay attention to them, are a lot like goldfish. Every lap of the bowl they think "Hey....where'd that castle come from?"

2012 2-2 12-4
2013 4-0 12-4
2014 2-2 12-4
2015 4-0 12-4
2016 3-1 14-2
2017 2-2 13-3
2018 2-2 11-5
2019 4-0 12-4
2020 2-2 7-9
2021 1-3 10-7

Thanks for doing the leg work on this. Glad to see it isn’t just my imagination or blind homerism. I think if you go back even to the beginning of the BB era, that trend holds up. I remain optimistic for 2022!

Thinking about history and our first month record while listening to all the Felgerite doom and gloom swirling around our guys, I decided to look up just the first month record and how we finished the regular season for the last 10 seasons. What this showed me was that, yes, we tend to start slowly and, no, that hasn't mattered a bit.

10 years, 6 of them with a .500 or worse first 4 games. The remainder of those seasons told a vastly different tale, but few seem to notice.

Mark Twain's quote "reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated" would seem to fit the Pats well because all the coroners around the league handed down their final judgement by early October in every one of those years. Only during the shitshow that was 2020 were those opinions valid, but.......here we are one week into the season and the banshees are already wailing.

People, and by that I mean douchebag mediots and the people that pay attention to them, are a lot like goldfish. Every lap of the bowl they think "Hey....where'd that castle come from?"

2012 2-2 12-4
2013 4-0 12-4
2014 2-2 12-4
2015 4-0 12-4
2016 3-1 14-2
2017 2-2 13-3
2018 2-2 11-5
2019 4-0 12-4
2020 2-2 7-9
2021 1-3 10-7
Good stuff.

The other thing to consider is that while this 2022 group is its own thing, it reminds me of the 2001 group more than any other team:
  • many of the long-term core replaced over the last year or so;
  • recent huge bad contracts for players who aren't performing well;
  • low expectations, questions about buy-in and coaching;
  • 2nd year QB known for work ethic, fundamentals, quick processing, coachability, and excellent decision making, but not athleticism or arm talent;
  • RBs are a wide range of styles, with a JAG vet FA+3 guys on their 1st contracts;
  • Two of the few Belichick Patriots teams to only keep 2 TEs on the 53;
  • WRs led by a chronically underrated guy who is "low-talent" and everyone always tries to upgrade to replace, the most "talented" guy gets in the doghouse early in the season;
  • depth chart filled in with large numbers of 2nd teir FAs to make up for recent draft misses;
  • The OL, relying on a early round, small school rookie who was a draft "reach," plays poorly early and is counting on developing cohesion;
  • DL features a young stud DE/DT with unlimited upside, and a bunch of biggish, slowish, underrated guys with great motors and fundamentals;
  • LBs are a mix of styles, thumpers, hybrids, try-hards, and one FA speedy coverage LB who underperformed on his prior team but brings a new dynamic to the Patriots;
  • Brought in older retread FA CBs to fill in the recently depleted depth chart, much discussion of "positionless football" in the defensive backfield, combined with much talk about the flexibility of an athletic hybrid LB/safety paired with a savvy, fan-favorire vet and an anticipated use of 3 safety lineups; and of course
  • the team looks TERRIBLE early, and many commentators question if the offense (and talent generally) is the worst in the league...and projected start is 1-3 or 0-4.

Back