Walmart drops suit against brain damaged employee

PA_PATS_FAN54*

Reaction score
Website
www.a2zpa.com
I heard the announcement on NPR earlier, It seems Walmart brass received many letters of disapproval over the past few days.

Wal-Mart Stores Inc. is dropping a controversial effort to collect over $400,000 in health care reimbursement from a former employee who is confined to a southeast Missouri nursing home since she suffered brain damage in a traffic accident.

The world's largest retailer said Tuesday in a letter to the family of Deborah Shank it will not seek to collect money the Shanks won in an injury lawsuit against a trucking company for the accident.

Wal-Mart's top executive for human resources, Pat Curran, wrote that Shank's extraordinary situation had made the company re-examine its stance.
Full Story

They should go after the brain dead customers instead.

ROFL

But seriously, at what point does this company say enough is enough? To brutalise their employees just to deliver these prices?:shake: Time for a WalMart boycott!

ROFL

But seriously, at what point does this company say enough is enough? To brutalise their employees just to deliver these prices?:shake: Time for a WalMart boycott!
Funny you say that, an hour ago I realized we ran out of milk. I get in my truck and drive (10 miles) to the corner store - CLOSED, no prob there is another one 5 miles away - CLOSED. Damn I have to go another 5-6 miles to the third and last "store" within 35 min of me. Yep they are closed as well. But 35 min up the road Walmart is open!!! Luckily Turkey Hill (Local convenience chain) is open as well. 50 min later I'm home with milk.

What the F was this thread about again? WTF?

I heard the announcement on NPR earlier, It seems Walmart brass received many letters of disapproval over the past few days.

Wal-Mart Stores Inc. is dropping a controversial effort to collect over $400,000 in health care reimbursement from a former employee who is confined to a southeast Missouri nursing home since she suffered brain damage in a traffic accident.

The world's largest retailer said Tuesday in a letter to the family of Deborah Shank it will not seek to collect money the Shanks won in an injury lawsuit against a trucking company for the accident.

Wal-Mart's top executive for human resources, Pat Curran, wrote that Shank's extraordinary situation had made the company re-examine its stance.
Full Story

wow so even though Walmart won the legal right to be re-imbursed for money they spent they are not going to seek it? How much money did their detractors give the family?

Funny you say that, an hour ago I realized we ran out of milk. I get in my truck and drive (10 miles) to the corner store - CLOSED, no prob there is another one 5 miles away - CLOSED. Damn I have to go another 5-6 miles to the third and last "store" within 35 min of me. Yep they are closed as well. But 35 min up the road Walmart is open!!! Luckily Turkey Hill (Local convenience chain) is open as well. 50 min later I'm home with milk.

I agree that their convenience and pricing is attractive. But at what price to the employees? They gotta step it up a bit and at least be as humane as your local sweat shop.Even if it means a ten cent increase in prices across the board (which is all it would be, because the size of the company)

Good lord....do you live in the mountains?

I live in freeking SC and are within 15 minutes of 10 grocery stores, several of which stay open 24 hours

Good lord....do you live in the mountains?

I live in freeking SC and are within 15 minutes of 10 grocery stores, several of which stay open 24 hours

ROFL I wanted to ask the same thing......but am trying sooo hard to be nice...

:banghead:

This story was on the national news the other day. There was something in fine print of Walmart's insurance policy that allowed Walmart to recoup any payments it made through its insurance plan from an individual that received a civil settlement in a case such as this.

Essentially, Walmart's plan was incentivizing folks who were seriously hurt to NOT sue for civil damages, since Walmart could make a claim for pretty much all the reward in some cases. In other words, you could be rendered a vegetable and collect your basic AD&D or LTC benefits (usually a % of normal salary), but there was no point in holding the responsible party accountable for their actions. Sorry, that's B.S.

I'm glad this story got national attention. Walmart looked REALLY greedy in going after this poor family (the couple's son was KIA in Iraq as well IIRC). I don't care if Walmart had "the right" to recoup the money; they should re-examine this blatantly unfair policy or face a unionizing workforce. This is big business at its worst.

Oh man, what are those execs going to do without the money. I hope they don't starve.

Quit talking like a communist. :shake:

I hear ya! I am a Reagan Repuplican!!! I paid twice to get his image on Mt Rushmore!

But what Walmart is doing is akin to sweat shop mentality. Companies like theirs started that aweful labor movement the first time! Cut the employees some slack to diffuse the situation and make everyone go away already!!!

On a much smaller level Workers comp does the same thing if the injured worker wins a lawsuit.

Wal-Mart had no business taking this families only means of support away. PERIOD
It's nothing more than legal theft imho

I read a lot about this case a while back when I heard about it. Don't get me wrong, I hate Wal-Mart and the way they do business, but the case wasn't as bad as some stories made it sound.

A lot of insurance companies are including this clause these days. The idea was that if you are injured by someone and your insurer pays your medical bills, then you sue the person/business that injured you and get money, the insurer should have a shot at getting some of their money back. This is on the theory that the insurer paying your bills may make it harder for them to help others. Whether or not they should be allowed to do that at all is a different story.

The issue here was "just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD." In this case, the victim and her family didn't use the money they won in the settlement to go to Hawaii for a month after getting a free ride in the hospital. The woman in this case will never live any semblance of a normal life again and she and her family need the money they got from the lawsuit against the trucking firm to pay for her round-the-clock care.

In fairness I imagine Wal-Mart felt if they made an exception once they'd be challenged on it every time, but the black eye from this one definitely wasn't worth it if you ask me.

That said, I hate Wal-Mart and avoid shopping there whenever possible. There are, however, two products I like that for some reason I absolutely can not find ANYWHERE else, and believe me I've looked. At other stores, all over the Internet, on and on. (For the record, the two products are plain, unfrosted blueberry Pop-Tarts and plain white boxer shorts.)

What drives me crazy are people who drive way out of their way to go to Wal-Mart to buy their groceries. My sister-in-law, for example. She absolutely will not buy food anywhere else. Thing is, when you're driving 20+ miles each way, I don't see how you're saving that much with the price of gas these days. Yeah, things there are cheaper, but they're not THAT much less. If she lived or worked in the city where the Wal-Mart is, maybe.

I read a lot about this case a while back when I heard about it. Don't get me wrong, I hate Wal-Mart and the way they do business, but the case wasn't as bad as some stories made it sound.

A lot of insurance companies are including this clause these days. The idea was that if you are injured by someone and your insurer pays your medical bills, then you sue the person/business that injured you and get money, the insurer should have a shot at getting some of their money back. This is on the theory that the insurer paying your bills may make it harder for them to help others. Whether or not they should be allowed to do that at all is a different story.

The issue here was "just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you SHOULD." In this case, the victim and her family didn't use the money they won in the settlement to go to Hawaii for a month after getting a free ride in the hospital. The woman in this case will never live any semblance of a normal life again and she and her family need the money they got from the lawsuit against the trucking firm to pay for her round-the-clock care.

In fairness I imagine Wal-Mart felt if they made an exception once they'd be challenged on it every time, but the black eye from this one definitely wasn't worth it if you ask me.

That said, I hate Wal-Mart and avoid shopping there whenever possible. There are, however, two products I like that for some reason I absolutely can not find ANYWHERE else, and believe me I've looked. At other stores, all over the Internet, on and on. (For the record, the two products are plain, unfrosted blueberry Pop-Tarts and plain white boxer shorts.)

What drives me crazy are people who drive way out of their way to go to Wal-Mart to buy their groceries. My sister-in-law, for example. She absolutely will not buy food anywhere else. Thing is, when you're driving 20+ miles each way, I don't see how you're saving that much with the price of gas these days. Yeah, things there are cheaper, but they're not THAT much less. If she lived or worked in the city where the Wal-Mart is, maybe.

If Walmart opened a supercenter out here they would kick ass and put two chains outta biz here! The food prices out here are obscene! I am used to a rural and very well run Market Basket! This shit out here is costing me about $100 a week! And the quality is actually very worse!!!!!

Back