We're going after Jimmy G.

Injuries are the biggest issue imo...there was a reason why BB liked him.

I remember in the playoffs a year ago against the Vikings and GB. JG sucked really bad. It was so bad that Shanny stopped passing and ran the ball. I think JG threw something like 20 passes in those 2 games & SF rode Mostert to victories.

I think it says an awful lot that nobody here is even remotely excited about the possibility.
Yep. But the fact it's getting this kind of "JG is Plan A" coverage makes me think it could also be a media smokescreen.

But let's assume it's legit and he is Plan A.

I assume the Patriots know they may have to turn around and pay the next guy if he is an established NFL QB. Jimmy G is due about $25 mil next year. While the salary is high, it is also likely a contributing factor in SF's willingness to move on from him. Perhaps that lessens the price tag to re-acquire him. Could he be had for a 2nd round pick?

And if you bring in a guy like Alex Smith as well, does that Jimmy G/Alex Smith tandem excite the fan base a bit more than bringing in a Fitzpatrick, Mariota, Newton, etc?

For me, I could at least live with seeing how it plays out because it could potentially push off the urgency to draft a QB, you could possibly keep Gilmore, you have opt-out pieces returning, and still opportunity to bolster other spots through the draft and FA cap casualties.

Yep. But the fact it's getting this kind of "JG is Plan A" coverage makes me think it could also be a media smokescreen.

But let's assume it's legit and he is Plan A.

I assume the Patriots know they may have to turn around and pay the next guy if he is an established NFL QB. Jimmy G is due about $25 mil next year. While the salary is high, it is also likely a contributing factor in SF's willingness to move on from him. Perhaps that lessens the price tag to re-acquire him. Could he be had for a 2nd round pick?

And if you bring in a guy like Alex Smith as well, does that Jimmy G/Alex Smith tandem excite the fan base a bit more than bringing in a Fitzpatrick, Mariota, Newton, etc?

For me, I could at least live with seeing how it plays out because it could potentially push off the urgency to draft a QB, you could possibly keep Gilmore, you have opt-out pieces returning, and still opportunity to bolster other spots through the draft and FA cap casualties.
Smokescreen...possible.

Back