What are you impressions of the Falcons?

What have you learned from watching the Falcons play this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Other, please explain

Other in this situation means that there are lots of choices, but they're all wrong. The correct choice is therefore: Other.

Good, dynamic threats with potential to score a hell of a lot of points. D isn't great but they only need a couple of good stops in a high-scoring game to win. I'm a pessimist by nature, though, so feel free to disregard my opinions...

Given the pressure of the game, we can expect some brainfarts on both parts. It depends on which team commits the fewer brainfarts, amongst other things. Brainfarts would include one DB thinking he's in Man and not in Zone like the rest of the team, for example.

Here's an impression of the Falcons for ya'-

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WB6HvUJTgRU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I voted other, please explain :

Anyone who believes the Falcons Offense is not really potent needs to clean their glasses. That is also in conjunction with NFL Stats - Ryan #2 QB in passing yards, Julio Jones #2 receiving yards, Falcons Team Overall passing #3, Falcons Points / game 33.8, Falcons Team Overall Rushing #5, Falcons Team Overall Scoring #1, Falcons Overall Team Defense #8. All of these team and individual rankings are ALL higher (better) that any comparable of the Patriots. So, anyone who thinks this will be a cake-walk for the Pats might want to check their gauge again.

I know that people think that the Falcons schedule was soft, but commons games between Pats & Falcons like Seahawks - Falcons L 24-26 Pats L 24-31, Broncos - Falcons W 23-16 Pats W 16-3, Cardinals - Falcons W 38-19 Pats W 23-21, shed some additional light on competitive performance, as well.

Making the assumption that both teams play their A game across all 3 phases and we know any mistakes by either WILL be capitalized on, this should be a really good competitive SB game. I hope that the 22 Patriots players w/SB experience versus 4 Falcons players w/SB experience will play some beneficial role for Pats entire team to play their best for all 60 minutes. I believe this game will be decided by the team who has the ball last and the caliber of play by the defense during that series. Pats 27 Falcons 24....Game being won by Gost FG. :coffee:

Anyone who believes the Falcons Offense is not really potent needs to clean their glasses. That is also in conjunction with NFL Stats - Ryan #2 QB in passing yards, Julio Jones #2 receiving yards, Falcons Team Overall passing #3, Falcons Points / game 33.8, Falcons Team Overall Rushing #5, Falcons Team Overall Scoring #1, Falcons Overall Team Defense #8. All of these team and individual rankings are ALL higher (better) that any comparable of the Patriots. So, anyone who thinks this will be a cake-walk for the Pats might want to check their gauge again.

I know that people think that the Falcons schedule was soft, but commons games between Pats & Falcons like Seahawks - Falcons L 24-26 Pats L 24-31, Broncos - Falcons W 23-16 Pats W 16-3, Cardinals - Falcons W 38-19 Pats W 23-21, shed some additional light on competitive performance, as well.

Making the assumption that both teams play their A game across all 3 phases and we know any mistakes by either WILL be capitalized on, this should be a really good competitive SB game. I hope that the 22 Patriots players w/SB experience versus 4 Falcons players w/SB experience will play some beneficial role for Pats entire team to play their best for all 60 minutes. I believe this game will be decided by the team who has the ball last and the caliber of play by the defense during that series. Pats 27 Falcons 24....Game being won by Gost FG. :coffee:

Thank you for your insight.

The highlighted stuff means jack shit. This isn't fantasy. This isn't college. This league is about matchups and preparation. Also, the fact that you would even include comparisons with the Cardinals games is ridiculous. The Pats played the Cardinals on the road, on opening night, with Jimmy G, at a time when the sports media were fluffing them as a Super Bowl contender. By the time the Falcons got them at home in Week 11, not so much.

Be smarter than that other dumbass out here with 'NFL' in his handle.

Thank you for your insight.

The highlighted stuff means jack shit. This isn't fantasy. This isn't college. This league is about matchups and preparation. Also, the fact that you would even include comparisons with the Cardinals games is ridiculous. The Pats played the Cardinals on the road, on opening night, with Jimmy G, at a time when the sports media were fluffing them as a Super Bowl contender. By the time the Falcons got them at home in Week 11, not so much.

Be smarter than that other dumbass out here with 'NFL' in his handle.

And don't forget we played Seattle a few days after Jaime Collins was traded. That was a distraction by itself and in addition the team had to learn to play without Collins. They've done just fine imo.

And don't forget we played Seattle a few days after Jaime Collins was traded. That was a distraction by itself and in addition the team had to learn to play without Collins. They've done just fine imo.

Also, I'm pretty sure Seattle circled this game on the schedule as soon as it came out. The Pats kept them from taking their place amongst what would be considered the all-time great teams.

This, to me anyway, is why straight up comparisons based on stats really don't work. Until there are stats to measure heart, focus and intensity I'll take them all with a grain of salt.

That's why I feel the way I do about this game. This is for all-time for Brady. Things like DVOA don't measure that. I don't see how Atlanta's dog vomit defense even slows him down.

The best offense in the NFL...with a fast, young, but very inexperienced defense.

They're obviously very good...but, hopefully the Pats will beat them.

I went back and looked at this one.

Overall, Atlanta was ranked 2nd in the league in offense, behind New Orleans and just ahead of the Redskins. They were 3rd in passing behind New Orleans and Washington. They with 5th in rushing. They led the league in points scored. Great offense? Yeah, that I will give them. Best in the league? Subjective.

No, they aren't. They may have Julio Jones, but overall both the Pats and the Redskins have superior receiving corps. I'll take Dallas's and Pittsburgh's running game over theirs.

They played 6 games against some absolutely putrid defenses. They went 11-5, they didn't go 15-1.

This is a team that, under normal circumstances, the Pats stomp a mudhole in. If this were a regular season game the Pats would be giving 8. The only reason they're being fluffed as much as they are is because they beat the media darling up in Green Bay.

Your opinion...

Your opinion...

dude, if this was week 11 nobody would be giving the Falcons a chance in hell. Just because it's the Super Bowl their defense can all of a sudden play?

Just not seeing it, and I'm not the only one...either here or in the national sports media.

To me, the Falcons are the '06 Bears. A counterfeit team built on exploiting a second rate conference. Could I be wrong? Sure. Will I be wrong? Maybe, but I doubt it. Let's put it this way-

every time the Pats play Pittsburgh we have the Greek chorus of worriers out here that start in with the ONOZITSTEHSTEELEREZEZ!!1!! I'm one of the handful of posters out here that look at that and basically go all coffee guy with it. What almost ALWAYS happens? Pats kick the Steelers in the nuts, steal their lunch money and fukk their girlfriends.

Pittsburgh makes me more nervous than Atlanta does. The offenses are nearly identical. I see one guy who is a beast and a couple of guys out of the backfield that feasted on some absolutely brutal defenses this year.

I know I won't convince you or any of the other posters out here that like to cling to their pre-'04 Red Sox fan pessimism...but it doesn't mean I don't still love you guys.

No. I could obviously see during the regular season...that the Falcons were legit. A few others here also seen it. Their offense is explosive. Those running backs are the best tandem in the league...Julio is top 3 in the league. Their defense is way young though...

I'm not trying to bag on your opinion...but, the Falcons didn't just randomly get into the superbowl. They're pretty good.

No. I could obviously see during the regular season...that the Falcons were legit. A few others here also seen it. Their offense is explosive. Those running backs are the best tandem in the league...Julio is top 3 in the league. Their defense is way young though...

I'm not trying to bag on your opinion...but, the Falcons didn't just randomly get into the superbowl. They're pretty good.

Not saying they're not. Pittsburgh was pretty good. Kansas City was pretty good. Before Carr got hurt Oakland was REALLY good, as was Dallas.

What I'm saying is this, pretty good is fine, but they are going up against great, potentially all time great with DEFINITELY the GOAT QB and HC. Pretty good isn't going to feed the bulldog here.

The playoffs can be just as much about luck as they are about skill and execution. Let's call a spade a spade here- the NFC, really outside of Dallas, was a dumpster fire this year. Atlanta is no better than the 3 seed in the AFC this year. Atlanta caught a HUGE break in getting a badly beat up Seattle team at home and an even MORE beat up Green Bay team at home. In a lot of years, that's all a team might need to get on a roll and win it all. This is not a lot of years.

Not saying they're not. Pittsburgh was pretty good. Kansas City was pretty good. Before Carr got hurt Oakland was REALLY good, as was Dallas.

What I'm saying is this, pretty good is fine, but they are going up against great, potentially all time great with DEFINITELY the GOAT QB and HC. Pretty good isn't going to feed the bulldog here.

The playoffs can be just as much about luck as they are about skill and execution. Let's call a spade a spade here- the NFC, really outside of Dallas, was a dumpster fire this year. Atlanta is no better than the 3 seed in the AFC this year. Atlanta caught a HUGE break in getting a badly beat up Seattle team at home and an even MORE beat up Green Bay team at home. In a lot of years, that's all a team might need to get on a roll and win it all. This is not a lot of years.

:toast:

The Pats just need to come out and kick them right in their Farging Teeth!

anyone hear Felger and Mazz today? they had a former Falcons never-was QB named something Archer, which was extra funny as they called him Atlanta's version of Zolak. They were probably talking about his job as broadcaster but the QB comparison is also fitting.

He said (Archer) that "If Atlanta plays there best game there's no way they lose"

I think Atlanta is better then a lot here seem to be giving them credit for, but I don't agree with that statement. Even D-Bag Felger disagreed.... however Pats do have to play a very good Pats game... which I'm confident they will.

I think they're a great team, good in all three phases, explosive on offense, speedy on defense and great in the kicking game. they know how to get the ball into the end zone when they're in the red area. They have great backs and receivers. I think the Pats are gonna have to play their best game of the season to beat them.

I think they're a great team, good in all three phases, explosive on offense, speedy on defense and great in the kicking game. they know how to get the ball into the end zone when they're in the red area. They have great backs and receivers. I think the Pats are gonna have to play their best game of the season to beat them.

When you're the league's 27th ranked defense, you can speedy all day long. Doesn't mean you execute properly.

Back