What were the Dolphins thinking?

How about another round. A shot with a chaser this time. To the Phins!

1102.9903.largeImage.eng.JPG
DF_becks_366.jpg

Re: Re: What were the Dolphins thinking?

dchester on 04-30-2007 at 11:13 AM said:
It seems pretty clear that the media liked Quinn a lot better than many of the NFL scouts.

Excellent point and one that makes me wonder how much Quinn is alot of hype. I don't know his entire history but based on all of the concerns I was hearing about him it made me wonder too. I think the media/corporate world likes him because he is "squeaky clean" and "All American" looking and appeals to the MySpace generation with his emo haircut and chisled (though almost roidish) body.

what were the dolphins thinking?
its easy, they werent.
they could have had quinn and jarrett...instead, they got an injured WR and john beck.

<<
makes me wonder how much Quinn is alot of hype
>>

I think Quinn will do well. He was personally prepared and mentored by Charlie Weiss in a pro-style offense that I think is more advanced than most of the college offenses. Weiss obviously put his recommendation heavily behind Quinn, and no doubt that's part of why Cleveland traded up to get him. I don't think its much of a guess to think Charlie was on the phone to RC quite a bit the last few weeks.

And Cleveland was very smart to take the Olineman first. Crennel knows very well that the lines are where games are won and lost. If they couldn't protect Quinn what was the point of taking any QB.

Funny, I just finished reading this rant by Tom Casale on PFW's draft blog. I was at the Wilfork draft party and everyone just cracked up when Ginn's name was announced. And BTW, good for Romeo & Savage. Anyway, sounds like Cameron is a piece of work and off to a more than bumpy start.

One Final Rant
April 29th, 2007
I really dislike Cam Cameron. Back at the Combine he was giving some song and dance about how he wanted to work with the media and be friends. What a bunch of bull. I’m part of the media and I can tell you that’s no different than saying let’s have peace on earth. It’s nice in theory but it will never happen. It just rubbed me the wrong way. I mean the media in Miami is going to be like the media everyplace else. If you win, they’ll write about what a great coach you are and if you lose, they’ll call for your head. Let’s see how long that honeymoon lasts.

Then today, Cameron is doing an interview on TV and he has his kid sitting on his lap. I’m sorry but give me a break. Do you really need to have your son on your lap when you are on TV talking about the draft? That was such an obvious attempt to take some of the heat off of him for Miami’s awful draft. By the way, I guess that love affair with the media is over with, huh? I don’t think everyone has to act like Bill Belichick but can you imagine Belichick, Jimmy Johnson or Bill Parcells doing a post-draft interview while holding their kid? I mean, Miami wasn’t even done drafting yet. Didn’t Cam still have work to do and more bad picks to make?

If you want to know what a cocky, self-indulgent coach Cameron is, let me take you back a few years ago to when he was the head coach of Indiana. The Hoosiers were playing Purdue and had the ball at on the 10-yard line with the game on the line. They faced a fourth and half an inch and needed a touchdown to win. This is back when Randle El was the quarterback. So instead of doing a simple QB sneak, Cameron calls an option. Well, Purdue had everyone at the line shooting the gaps and Randle El lost seven yards. You know what that was? A head coach trying to be too smart. Instead of just getting a yard and giving your team four downs to win the game, genius outsmarted himself trying to be too cute.

I think we saw that in the draft as well. The Dolphins picked ninth, which means they stunk last year. So Cameron drafts a guy in Ted Ginn who isn’t even going to start. Now, no one loves Ginn more than Tom Casale but not even I would take him that high when my team had so many more glaring needs to address and good players on the board. However, Cameron’s ego once again came into play because he fell in love with Ginn’s speed and now he has a new toy he can use to show people how smart he is. Go back and look at Mike Martz’s drafts and you’ll see a lot of the same kind of picks (Anyone remember Trung Canidate?)

Cameron is a great offensive mind and I’m sure the Dolphins will put up points during his short regime there. However, they won’t win with this guy running things. Cameron is just another in a long line of egomaniacs who make better coordinators than they do coaches. I hope for Cameron’s sake that Miami doesn’t start the year off 1-5 because I don’t think the media down in South Florida will be too friendly if they do.

Thanks for following the blog and all the comments. We will also be doing blogs during the upcoming mini-camps and training camp. Make sure to keep checking back at those times for updates on everything Patriots. Thanks again for the support.

11 Comments | Draft (2007) | Permalink
Posted by tomcasale

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<<
Cameron is doing an interview on TV and he has his kid sitting on his lap
>>

Ah I forgot about that. It was incredibly lame and perhaps the worst HC interview I've ever seen. It seemed like Cameron was more concerned with showing off what daddy does on a big day at work than having a good draft.

You guys know you fear John Beck, the 2nd coming of Steve Young, a lot more than Frady Brady Quinn....there is a reason Brady dropped to the 22nd spot. :p

Cameron = Barry Bonds

Both assholes decided they needed to have their kids with them when the heat was on.
Good for the Patriots to have that shithead in charge of the Dolphins and the Bills run by two octogenarians.

Cameron never did anything when he was HC at IU. He doesn't impress me at all. The Fins are doomed...

I too was surprised, unless the fins have some great unseen masterplan, I dont see Culpepper and green being the future at QB
:pat:

An amusing piece from ProFootballTalk:

The Management of Expectations: The Miami Dolphins.

There's a caveat when it comes to selling hope. The fans and the media must be willing to buy it.

And the teams have a key role in this process. In the months that lead up to the draft, the guys (and gals) who get paid to write (and talk) about the local team like to come off as knowledgeable about something other than the latest biosphere project, or whether the main staple there will be pastrami and other salted, cured meats.

This year, there was rampant speculation in the local and national media that the Fins would pounce on quarterback Brady Quinn, in the unlikely event that he slid through to No. 9. The Miami fans desperately wanted to see this happen. And for good reason -- ever since Dan Marino called it quits, the Fins have been flopping the boat in their quest to find his replacement.

In 2000, they dealt a seventh-round pick for Jim Druckenmiller.

In 2001, they sacrificed a 2002 sixth-rounder and a conditional seventh-rounder in 2003 for Cade McNown and a 2002 seventh-rounder.

In 2002, they gave up a 2003 seventh-rounder for Sage Rosenfels.

In 2004, they sent a 2005 second-rounder to the Eagles for A.J. Feeley.

In 2005, they shipped Feeley and a 2006 sixth-rounder to San Diego for Cleo Lemon.

In 2006, they sent a 2006 second-rounder to Minnesota for Daunte Culpepper.

In 2006, they sent a sixth-rounder to Detroit, which hupgraded to a fifth-rounder, for Joey Harrington.

Though there's hardly any guarantee that any first-round signal-caller will become a franchise quarterback, round one is the best place to find one, with rare exceptions (Joe Montana, Tom Brady). And the presence of Quinn on the board at No. 9 gave them the best opportunity since Marino left to get back to the game he only visited once.

Hey, second-round selection John Beck might turn out to be better than Quinn or the guy who went No. 1 overall, JaMarcus Russell. We'd heard last week that some teams had a first-round grade on Beck, and that one team drafting in the top fifteen rated him in the top ten. And if the Fins have Beck rated higher than Quinn, we respect that.

But they should have let someone know about it.

We know, we know. No self-respecting football type would ever tell (God forbid) the truth about his team's plans for the draft. But, in this case, what would it have hurt? First of all, none of the other teams would have believed them. Second, it's not like that would have prompted them to lose their shot at Ted Ginn, who likely would have slid all the way past No. 20 if Miami hadn't taken him.

The fact that Ginn is still damaged goods makes the contrast between the guy the fans thought they were getting and the guy they got even sharper, and even more difficult for the fans to accept. One good friend of PFT who bleeds orange and aqua had a dream several months ago that Quinn was on the board at No. 9 -- and that Miami instead took a receiver named Troy Johnson.

Troy Johnson, Ted Ginn. Same difference. The key is that the name called was not Brady Quinn, and as a result of it the franchise now has a big problem.

It's a lesson learned for Miami. And every other team. We hope.

Back