Wow, the Jets are in brutal shape.

BionicPatriot

Reaction score
Now I really can't blame Herm for walking out of there. According to what I'm reading, the Jets will release

Pennington, Law, Mawae, Fabini, Sowell, Kendall. And they will either franchise Abraham or release him, probably trying to trade him for picks if they're smart.

I mean wow..That team really, really is going to challenge the 1996 team as one of the worst ever. Who are they gonna have play QB? Who the hell will block, and who the hell is going to run the ball? Seriously, this is why the hire of Mangini was retarded. To hire such a young, inexperienced canidate and throw him on a shitty team in cap hell makes NO sense.

In situations like this, you want a veteran coach. Not a young gun like Eric.

Over under on how many years before the NY media starts making death threats to his family and he says screw it and leaves?:D

Poor little Eric. I give it 2 seasons before the Bills Hire our current DC Pees and Eric comes back to town with his hat in hand begging BB for a job. I'll say welcome him back more humbled and toughened by the experience.

As for the Jets, well now they really SUCK SUCK SUCK!!! ;)

runnerone said:
Poor little Eric. I give it 2 seasons before the Bills Hire our current DC Pees and Eric comes back to town with his hat in hand begging BB for a job. I'll say welcome him back more humbled and toughened by the experience.

As for the Jets, well now they really SUCK SUCK SUCK!!! ;)

thats what I mean. The hiring of Eric Mangini is a real head scratcher.

QB's agent rejects proposal to cut salary to $1M

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2334831

Chad Pennington won't take a pay cut -- and it could cost him his job.

According to a report on Newsday's Web site Saturday morning, the New York Jets quarterback's agent, Tom Condon, rejected the team's proposal to cut Pennington's salary for the 2006 season. As first reported by ESPN's Chris Mortensen on Sunday, the Jets asked Pennington to take a pay cut to a $1 million base salary with incentives that would compensate for the remaining $8 million the team owes him.

A source close to the situation told Newsday that if the team and quarterback can't resolve the issue, Pennington could be released.

Pennington signed a $64 million, seven-year deal two years ago. He is expected to have a salary cap number close to $12 million this season, including a $3 million roster bonus due in March. Even if the Jets cut him, they would take a salary hit of about $10 million because of the prorated salary cap.

According to Newsday, the Jets, who will be more than $20 million over the cap this season, don't want to pay the $3 million bonus and are concerned about Pennington's right shoulder injury and whether his arm will return to full strength.

Pennington hurt his shoulder during the 2004 season, missed three games and then returned for the end of the regular season and the playoffs. It was clear then that his arm strength was significantly reduced and after the season the team said he would have rotator cuff surgery.

He returned in 2005 but was injured in the third game of the season and again had surgery, missing the rest of the season. The team's problems were compounded when Jay Fiedler, acquired as insurance in the offseason, was injured seven plays after Pennington and was also lost for the season.

That left the Jets with third-stringer Brooks Bollinger and 42-year-old Vinny Testaverde, and the team finished 4-12. After the season, coach Herman Edwards left for Kansas City and Mike Tannenbaum replaced general manager Terry Bradway.

Complicating the issue is the lack of an extension to the league's collective bargaining agreement with the players' union. The contract expires in 2008, but 2007 would be an uncapped season, leaving questions about the length and size of deals with free agents.

Citing sources close to the situation, Newsday reported that the Jets are trying to get running back Curtis Martin, guard Pete Kendall, tackle Jason Fabini, receiver Laveranues Coles and center Kevin Mawae either to accept pay cuts or to renegotiate their contracts. The team has already decided to part ways with cornerback Ty Law, who is due an $11 million bonus.

Have you heard the quotes from the Jets rank and file....

http://www.nypost.com/sports/jets/62063.htm

"I think we should release him; he's too injury-prone," one player said.

"He's like an egg back there," another player said, referring to
Pennington's fragility. "I mean, look at the ways he's gotten hurt. He
hasn't even been hit that hard. The injuries have come from awkward hits and
falls. I think we should just cut him."

BionicPatriot said:
thats what I mean. The hiring of Eric Mangini is a real head scratcher.

What the Jets are really in desperate need of; just like the Raiders; is a new owner.

BionicPatriot said:
Now I really can't blame Herm for walking out of there. According to what I'm reading, the Jets will release

Pennington, Law, Mawae, Fabini, Sowell, Kendall. And they will either franchise Abraham or release him, probably trying to trade him for picks if they're smart.

I mean wow..That team really, really is going to challenge the 1996 team as one of the worst ever. Who are they gonna have play QB? Who the hell will block, and who the hell is going to run the ball? Seriously, this is why the hire of Mangini was retarded. To hire such a young, inexperienced canidate and throw him on a shitty team in cap hell makes NO sense.

In situations like this, you want a veteran coach. Not a young gun like Eric.

Over under on how many years before the NY media starts making death threats to his family and he says screw it and leaves?:D
These are the types of jobs that are available to a young, first time head coach. An experienced veteran coach would pass on a situation like this because he would get offered the better openings. The plum jobs don't get offered to new coaches.

If you have confidence (and balls), you take it and make the best out of it. Of course most first time head coaches fail, because they end up in situations like this one, but the experience will be invaluable. Life wasn't over for Belichick after he failed in Cleveland. I think Mangini made the correct decision in taking it (although we probably won't really know for another 10 years).
________
Ford York engine specifications

Back