13 Year Old Commits To USC

I thought it was illegal to commit like that till senior year?

I am not sure what the lower level is but you can commit once your Junior year starts..or actually colleges may not contact you til you start the Junior year.

A kid Conner plays with was just made an official offer to Arizona and he is in his Junior year.

Won't he be fun to coach. His parents will be a barrel of laughs, especially if his high school doesn't start him right away or god forbid they hand the ball off a lot.

All this does it make life miserable for his coaches and eventually the kid. This offer is non-binding so Kiffen can let it slide down the road with no consequences to his program whatsoever (provided he's still there). Kiffen, what a guy.

Won't he be fun to coach. His parents will be a barrel of laughs, especially if his high school doesn't start him right away or god forbid hand the ball off a lot.

All this does it make life miserable for his coaches and eventually the kid. This offer is non-binding so Kiffen can let it slide down the road with no consequences to his program whatsoever (provided he's still there). Kiffen, what a guy.

GOod points too AWTE..he is going to get humbled believe me.

What I meant was that the kid was pretty bad ass (just for clarification).

Reminds me a little of the youth soccer schools in Europe - where some kids down to age 10 come under contract (but they get paid pretty handsome money) to play in a big league club's youth program/academy.

I thought it was illegal to commit like that till senior year?

An offer or commitment means absolutely nothing until the kid signs on the dotted line, usually as a senior, after a year of prep school or a couple years of junior college.

Kiffen can theoretically make offers to every kid in the sixth grade if he wants to. When the time comes, he only have to sign who he wants to sign. Same for the kids. Until they sign, commitments don't really mean anything (see Kiffens' recruiting coordinator Ed Orgeron trying to talk enrolled students at UT who hadn't signed their commitment papers yet into withdrawing from UT to sign w/USC for example.)

Nah. Freshman give verbals in high schools around here.

Its against NCAA rules to contact a potential player before they start their senior year so I am not understanding. We JUST went through this here. We knew WA was interested but until Aug of this year they could not contact Conner. :huh:

Yeah Ed O. was basically telling the recruits: don't go to class and come to USC with us

Recruiting is cut-throat.

Yeah Ed O. was basically telling the recruits: don't go to class and come to USC with us

Recruiting is cut-throat.

HELLO?? It is against NCAA rules.

I didn't read the whole story here but THIS I know. It doesn't matter how "cut throat" it is..you cannnot contact a HS player officially until they have begun their Junior year.

So if the school cannot contact the kid, how are these commitments happening?

My son got nuthin till after his jr year. Then they came a knockin.....:shrug:

So if the school cannot contact the kid, how are these commitments happening?

My son got nuthin till after his jr year. Then they came a knockin.....:shrug:

They aren't really "commitment" because it isn't legal for D1 NCAA anyhow. I don't know if lower divisions make it legal. I am trying to dig up the official rules..but we just lived it this past summer SOo...

There are VERY strict rules about it.

It's a verbal commitment, and non-binding. Maybe you can't make a formal commitment until senior year? :shrug:

Junior year from September 1

College coaches are allowed to send you information about their athletic program and about their school. this can include: media guides, schedule cards, personalized letters, photocopies of newspaper clippings and official university admissions and academic publications.

The college coach is now allowed to answer your emails and send emails to you as well.

Before then they can:

Send you athletic or sports camp brochures, NCAA Educational Information and Questionnaires.
A coach can also accept phone calls from you as long as they are at your expense but remember that if you leave a message on an answering service the coach is NOT ALLOWED TO CALL YOU BACK.

But they are NOT allowed to:

"Coaches are not allowed to:

To call you on the phone.
A coach cannot send you any written recruiting information"

Hrmm....

NCAA hockey teams have been taking verbal commitments from 14 year olds for years. Still pretty lame. Probably moreso the parent committing the kid than the kid himself.

Back