2011 Draft Prospects Thread

Really tough news for Bowers if it's true. I'm rooting for him - he sounds like a nice kid.

He does seem like a good kid and he is (or was) a really skilled well rounded defender and not just a quick twitch/one trick guy.

Bear in mind that some teams once red-flagged another top draft prospect for medical reasons and he turned out to have a pretty good career.

I'm referring to Anthony Munoz.

Tampa Bay saw that same report and weren't overly worked up over it, so I'm not ready to accept that can't play at all. Short career is one thing, but he should see the field for sure.

Short career is one thing, but he should see the field for sure.

That's my feeling as well. After all, the guy was out there banging heads at a high level just five months ago. Could the knee have degenerated so much so fast as to end his career before it's even started? Hopefully not.

Updated notes on Bowers and a few other items from Draftinsider:

-The opinions on Da’Quan Bowers remain wide and varied almost a month after the draft has ended. Published reports have some saying his career is already over and Bowers won’t play in the NFL - an opinion we don’t share. Sources from the Bowers camp gave us an honest assessment; its’ a 50-50 shot for the Clemson underclassman. If his knee responds as Shaun Rogers did, who had a similar procedure on his joint, Bowers will have a long career. Otherwise it could be a situation similar to Willie Howard, who spent two years in the league before his career was cut short by the same type of injury.

-Many, including ourselves, were surprised when North Carolina senior cornerback Kendric Burney went undrafted. Some based his drop on his pedestrian forty time at the combine in which Burney ran a hand time of 4.71-seconds. That’s part of the reason, though former SJSU corner Dwight Lowery was selected in the middle frames with similar speed. Lack of size was also an issue yet poor interviews at the combine loomed large in the decision by teams to stay away. Sources told us Burney came across as not admitting to, or seeing the wrong doing, of the violations which resulted in his six game suspension.

- We were equally surprised when Stefen Wisniewski was taken in the second round by the Raiders. Teams have openly said if the Raiders, who recently hired Stefen’s uncle, former All Pro Steve Wisniewski as the teams assistant offensive line coach, had not selected him in round two the Penn State senior would have slid into the fourth frame. The belief amongst most is nepotism was in play.

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=5345

Not sure where this belongs, but with Terrelle Pryor deciding not to return to Ohio St. and likely to enter the 2011 Supplemental Draft (if there is one), Wes Bunting thinks that Pryor should get consideration in the 3rd/4th round as a WR:

At 6-6, 235 pounds, Pryor is a really gifted athlete for his size with the ball in his hands. His combination of size, strength and explosion allow him to routinely break tackles with a devastating stiff arm and create after contact. He’s a strider who possesses sneaky straight-line speed that seems to consistently outpace defenders’ angles and also displays enough short-area quickness to create in tight areas as well. He’s also a very natural and coordinated athlete who was a stud basketball player in high school and in my mind certainly possesses the skill set to mature into a capable NFL receiver. Obviously, he would need some work and would take some development. But, if I’m drafting Pryor, I want to gamble on him with his physical/athletic capabilities as a wideout and not with his mental make-up as a quarterback.

Watching Pryor on tape he looks like an athlete who runs in the high 4.4/low 4.5 range and at his size there are certainly some intriguing tools to work with. He’s a better overall athlete coming out of college than Matt Jones, who had character concerns as well and still went in round one as a projection player. In all honestly, what’s the difference between Pryor and say a coordinated size/speed wide receiver prospect from a small school who’s going to need a year or two in order to contribute? Say a guy like Vincent Jackson when he came into the league? Not much in my mind. And I think if you give Pryor a year or two to develop as a wide receiver in the NFL, long term he will find a way to get on the field and make plays for an NFL offense both vertically in jump ball situations and working the three-step game as well. At his size, the guy doesn’t even need to be open in order to adjust go make a play on the football, and wideout prospects that can are always in high demand.

Overall, would I draft the guy as a quarterback prospect? No chance.

However, if he’s willing to make the move to wide receiver — and that is the million dollar question — I would certainly be willing to take a flyer on the guy in the 3rd/4th round range. He’s a better athlete than just about any other prospect that would go at that point in next year’s draft. Plus, he has a ton of upside and despite not being a real high character guy, there have been plenty of successful wideouts in the NFL that aren’t angels off the field. It’s part of the territory at the position and I definitely think it’s Pryor’s best chance to be successful in the NFL.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Terrelle-Pryor-is-a-legit-NFL-WR-prospect.html

Not sure where this belongs, but with Terrelle Pryor deciding not to return to Ohio St. and likely to enter the 2011 Supplemental Draft (if there is one), Wes Bunting thinks that Pryor should get consideration in the 3rd/4th round as a WR:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Terrelle-Pryor-is-a-legit-NFL-WR-prospect.html

He definitely has the athleticism to become a wide receiver or receiving tight end in the NFL, but can he catch the ball consistently? That would be my biggest concern with him.

Mel Kiper also likes the idea of Terrelle Pryor at WR:

I'm sure you'll hear the easy comparisons of Pryor as a quarterback to recent No. 1 overall pick Cam Newton. Both are tall, strong, athletic players who have been able to use elite running skills to augment their passing repetoires. But Pryor is far behind Newton in terms of how he grades out as a quarterback. He has mechanical issues, he has accuracy issues and he has decision-making questions he needs to answer. Newton grades out well ahead in those areas. On the other hand, as an athlete, Pryor is a guy who will impress scouts. He has length at nearly 6-foot-6, he's strong at 230-plus pounds and we've even seen him make catches at the college level. If he decides to commit himself to that route, perhaps a guy such as Matt Jones of Arkansas could be brought up as a comparison. Far more an athlete than a natural quarterback -- and with a solid hoops background similar to that of Pryor -- Jones was taken in Round 1 by Jacksonville in 2005, and when focused on football, he's had his moments.

I think that's a route Pryor could pursue, and based on his quarterbacking skills, it might make the most sense at this point.

I point that out because the other hurdle in terms of the goal to be a quarterback would be recent history. While the comparison to Jones sounds good in terms of draft position, he's also seen as a cautionary tale in terms of the value Jacksonville ultimately got for such a high pick. And there are other, more recent comparisons that don't do Pryor any favors. Pat White was drafted by the Dolphins two years ago in Round 2, and his brief attempt to be an NFL quarterback is also a cautionary tale, to say the least. Tyrod Taylor fell all the way to the sixth round of this year's draft after a great career at Virginia Tech because the "great athlete" label couldn't overcome the fact that as either a quarterback or a receiver, he'd face a significant learning curve.

Is Pryor so assured in his quarterbacking skills that he's willing to stand on those alone?

Way back in the fall, when Pryor and other OSU teammates were initially suspended, I was asked what I could see for him if he opted right then to pursue the NFL. At the time, I said if he went into the workout process with the full intention of proclaiming himself a tight end or wide receiver, I could see him moving into the middle rounds. His size and speed would be that tempting. Now, he faces not only uncertainty about the immediate future of the league, but what he wants to be.

Pryor the athlete -- as a wideout, as a tight end -- is a tantalizing thought. You can see the matchup problems in your mind. But as a quarterback, significant hurdles remain. It's a decision he will have to make. On the bright side, it might pale in comparison to some of the worries he'll now be leaving behind.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/columns/story?columnist=kiper_jr_mel&id=6636913

He definitely has the athleticism to become a wide receiver or receiving tight end in the NFL, but can he catch the ball consistently? That would be my biggest concern with him.

I don't know. Not sure anyone does, which is part of why I doubt he'll go higher than the 3rd-4th round if he ends up in a Supplemental Draft.

The idea of Terrelle Pryor and Aaron Hernandez together is very intriguing. A long shot, but very intriguing.

PFW and ESPNBoston (Reiss) pick comparable players to the Pats' 2011 draftees. My comments in red.

In one of the recent editions of Patriots Football Weekly, the hard-working staff selected a "comparable NFL player" for each of the team's draft picks. From this perspective, the comparable NFL player is meant in terms of style of play, not necessarily production.

It's a fun exercise, and the idea on this sure-to-be slow Saturday is to share PFW's thoughts and then add our own:

1st round -- Nate Solder
PFW:
Robert Gallery (Raiders)
ESPNBoston: Joe Staley (49ers)

I'm good with this! Ecstatic, actually.

2nd round -- Ras-I Dowling
PFW:
Brandon Flowers (Chiefs)
ESPNBoston: Al Harris (Packers)

And this.

2nd round -- Shane Vereen
PFW:
Steve Slaton (Texans)
ESPNBoston: Donald Brown (Colts)

I hope he's better than this.

3rd round -- Stevan Ridley
PFW
: Cecil Collins (Dolphins)
ESPNBoston: Ladell Betts (Redskins)

Ditto, above

3rd round -- Ryan Mallett
PFW:
Drew Bledsoe (Patriots)
ESPNBoston: Andrew Walter (Raiders)

The Bledsoe comparison is appropriate. The big difference is Mallett won't be thrown into the fire right away. With time to learn to make decisions without pressure, he could become a great QB.

5th round -- Marcus Cannon
PFW:
Carl Nicks (Saints)
ESPNBoston: Leonard Davis (Cowboys)

I'm ecstatic again!

5th round -- Lee Smith
PFW:
Brad Cottam (Chiefs)
ESPNBoston: Ben Hartsock (Jets)

A good starting place.

6th round -- Markell Carter
PFW:
Osi Umenyiora (Giants)
ESPNBoston: Travis LaBoy (49ers)

Say it IS so!

7th round -- Malcolm Williams
PFW:
Matthew Slater (Patriots)
ESPNBoston: Haruki Nakamura (Ravens)

Say it AIN'T so. Slater?

* Some players suited up for more than one team, although just one team was selected for these purposes.
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-.../4697168/playing-the-rookie-comparison-game-2

John Dove from Mocking the Draft doubts that any team would take Terrelle Pryor before the 4th round if he does enter a Supplemental Draft, and mentions the Seahawks, Eagles and Redskins as teams possibly interested in Pryor as a QB.

http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2011/6/8/2213412/teams-that-may-gamble-on-terrelle-pryor

Spending a 4th round pick on Pryor as a developmental WR might not be a bad move.

Someone might do it, but it won't be the Pats. I doubt they'll make a play for Pryor at all.

It's interesting to see the guy I'm highest on with the most pessimistic comparable.

I thought they were pretty equally pessimistic about Vereen, Williams and Ridley. The Slater comparable for Williams made me want to throw up, though. Who is your guy?

I thought they were pretty equally pessimistic about Vereen, Williams and Ridley. The Slater comparable for Williams made me want to throw up, though. Who is your guy?

Vereen. Public opinion of him is clearly suffering from some kind of post-draft-non-OLB-dression of something. The kid is a player.

I actually wouldn't be too upset if Ridley turns into Betts, he could have been a much better player on a team like the Pats. I don't see the comparable, though, because Ridley is much more of a downhill type guy than Betts, who was never much of a power guy, IMO.

Why are you so bothered about the Slater choice? A late round DB who appears to be selected for ST purposes. Williams will have done well for himself if he leads the team in ST tackles in his 3rd season.

Vereen. Public opinion of him is clearly suffering from some kind of post-draft-non-OLB-dression of something. The kid is a player.

I actually wouldn't be too upset if Ridley turns into Betts, he could have been a much better player on a team like the Pats. I don't see the comparable, though, because Ridley is much more of a downhill type guy than Betts, who was never much of a power guy, IMO.

Why are you so bothered about the Slater choice? A late round DB who appears to be selected for ST purposes. Williams will have done well for himself if he leads the team in ST tackles in his 3rd season.

The first time I saw Slater in tc, he was catching punts standing in the end zone. He dropped 3 punts in a row and no one else dropped one. The crowd booed him unmercifully. That ended that experiment. ST is a good place to start for a rook but I'd like more versatility than that after 2-3 years.

The first time I saw Slater in tc, he was catching punts standing in the end zone. He dropped 3 punts in a row and no one else dropped one. The crowd booed him unmercifully. That ended that experiment. ST is a good place to start for a rook but I'd like more versatility than that after 2-3 years.

When you draft a guy who barely played offense or defense in College, you can't expect him to be more than a STer in the NFL. Now you can say one should not draft guys like that, but apparently BB disagrees.

CHFF has studied and determined the best drafting teams of the decade. The Patriots are who we thought they were!

Here are our decade grades for all 32 teams, with their pertinent numbers, best and worst picks and a brief summary for each. Enjoy.

THE VALEDICTORIAN
New England (A)
Pro Bowlers: 11 (2nd)
Draftees Active in 2010: 46 (t-3rd)
Players with 50+ Career AV: 7 (1st)
Players with 20+ Career AV: 22 (t-1st)
Best Pick: CB Asante Samuel (4th round, 2003)
Worst Pick: WR Chad Jackson (2nd round, 2006)

Summary: The Patriots got at least one impact player in each of their 10 drafts from 2001-2010, and maybe the biggest tribute to their ability to identify top talent is that all 10 of their No. 1 picks were still playing in the league last year along with 11 of their 14 No. 2s. This bodes well for 2011 draftees Nate Solder, Ras-I Dowling and Shane Vereen.
http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.co...he_making:_the_ultimate_NFL_draft_grades.html

Greg Bedard discusses his pick as the rookie who will have the most impact this year. I think it may be someone he doesn't even mention.

The question: Which draft pick will have the most impact this season?
Three factors: The lockout; future of veterans Matt Light, Kevin Faulk and Alge Crumpler; staying healthy in camp.
Finding the answer: When we posed this question a few days ago, it was almost a no-brainer to me that one of the running backs, Shane Vereen or Stevan Ridley, would have the biggest impact for the Patriots. After all, Kevin Faulk is 35 and coming off ACL surgery, and Sammy Morris saw his opportunities cut way back last season. Both are unrestricted free agents.
But for today’s Sunday NFL notes, I decided to do a more in-depth review of the Patriots’ draft picks by calling four NFL college scouting directors who I respect very much.
And to my surprise, each of them said first-round left tackle Nate Solder could start right away, even with the lockout. Three of them expected Solder to have the biggest impact because they did not think the Patriots would re-sign veteran Matt Light once the lockout is lifted.

In the end, the guess here is that the Patriots will move on from Light and go with Solder. I don’t see why they wouldn’t. Solder has all the tools and offensive line coach Dante Scarnecchia is as good as they come. Even if Solder gets hurt or fails, the Patriots can still put Sebastian Vollmer over there and make due with someone else at right tackle. In short, I don’t see a huge downside of letting Light sign elsewhere. Patriots have never been shy about moving on from people, and they’d get a compensatory pick in return.
But if Light wants to return, he will. In that case, I’m going to go with Ridley as having the biggest impact. The Patriots have an opening for a short-yardage back, and he can pass block (as opposed to Vereen). Both skills are of value to this team.
A darkhorse is blocking tight end Lee Smith. Everyone loves Alge Crumpler. He was very versatile and his obvious leadership skills led to him being named a captain in short order once Randy Moss was traded. But Smith has the reputation for being a run blocker without peer. If he is so good at that – perhaps better than Crumpler, who in his own right is outstanding – why not go with Smith since releasing Crumpler would save cap money? I doubt it will happen but I wouldn’t count it out.
http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/2011/07/10_questions_wh_5.html

While I agree with Bedard that Solder will have the most impact if Light leaves, I don't agree with his 2nd choice of Ridley even though I'm very happy to learn he thinks so highly of him.

I'd have picked Dowling and by a big margin. Dowling will have immediate impact on special teams and possibly/probably 3rd and 4th down plays in nickel. I can't imagine Bedard not even giving Dowling a mention.

Back