2011 Draft Prospects Thread

Here's a scouting report on Penn St. junior DE Jack Crawford, a British transplant, from NFL mocks:

http://nflmocks.com/2010/04/28/scouting-report-jack-crawford-psu/

Along with Cliff Matthews and Akeem Ayers, Crawford is one of my favorite DE/OLB prospects for 2011 (after Robert Quinn, who will go top 10 and possibly top 5 if he declares). Crawford has great length and size at 6'5" 256#. He had 14.5 TFL last year, and 5 pass breakups over the past 2 seasons. He needs to show that he can play in space and set the edge, but he's someone to keep a close eye on over the next year.

I predict that 10 months from now we'll be having lengthy threads discussing the relative merits of these guys. All are 6'4" or taller and over 250# with the kind of motors and character that the Pats like.

Ayers, Matthews and Crawford would probably all project to weakside 3-4 OLB for the Pats. Von Miller from Texas A&M (6'2" 240#) is undersized and weak against the run, but is a pass rushing terror off of the weakside. The Pats apparently showed interest in him last year before he decided to stay in school, and many think he could bulk up to 250-255 easily.

A lot depends on where Jermaine Cunningham ends up playing and how he and the other youngsters develop. There are a number of strongside prospects as well, including two DEs from the Big 12: Jeremy Beal from Oklahoma (6'3", 263#, former LB - kind of reminds me of Jermaine Cunningham) and Sam Acho from Texas (6'3", 260#, similar style to Brian Orapko). And, if he declares, Missouri redshirt sophomore DE Aldon Smith (6'5", 255#), who plays a similar style game to Robert Quinn. Add Quinn and Greg Romeus and that could make 9 really good pass rushing DE/OLB prospects for 2011.

Very good call on Crawford. I like what I have seen from him so far.

Two other names to throw out there for OLB are Purdue's Ryan Kerrigan - a 6'4 263lb OLB. Another one of those blue-collar guys worth keeping on eye on.

Then there is my favorite prospect in 2011 for the Patriots - Dont'a Hightower of Alabama. Missed most of last season due to injury and I'm not sure if he will come out this year, Hightower was used mostly inside his freshman year, but in the spring added the "jack" linebacker to his resume. Saban was beginning to line him up at the end in 3rd down rush situations. He is also 6'4 255-260 and can cover, stuff the run, and according to a lot of the stories I read, really get after the passer. Has the ability to be a 3 down player in the NFL and should be able to make an easy transition to 3-4 OLB.

Very good call on Crawford. I like what I have seen from him so far.

Two other names to throw out there for OLB are Purdue's Ryan Kerrigan - a 6'4 263lb OLB. Another one of those blue-collar guys worth keeping on eye on.

Then there is my favorite prospect in 2011 for the Patriots - Dont'a Hightower of Alabama. Missed most of last season due to injury and I'm not sure if he will come out this year, Hightower was used mostly inside his freshman year, but in the spring added the "jack" linebacker to his resume. Saban was beginning to line him up at the end in 3rd down rush situations. He is also 6'4 255-260 and can cover, stuff the run, and according to a lot of the stories I read, really get after the passer. Has the ability to be a 3 down player in the NFL and should be able to make an easy transition to 3-4 OLB.

Good stuff. I'll have to look more at Hightower. Box's suggestion of Ryan Winterswyk from Boise St. (6'4" 263#) is also interesting - he sounds like a very interesting prospect.

Mel Kiper's first top 5 list for 2011 is out:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/insider/news/story?id=5164239

Some of my favorite under-the-radar guys for the Pats are sneaking onto Kipers list, including OLB Akeem Ayers from UCLA, RB Daniel Thomas from Kansas St., and OG/C John Moffitt from Wisconsin.

Lots of talent who didn't make it: DE/OLBs Jack Crawford, Cliff Matthews and Jeremy Beal, RB Jacquizz Rodgers , and OTs Jason Pinkston and Nate Solder.

Here's an article on Ohio St. DE/DT Cameron Heyward, son of former 1st round pick Craig "Ironhead" Heyward:

http://www.the-ozone.net/football/2010/summer/heyward.htm

I have Heyward and Alabama's Marcell Dareus neck and neck as the top 5 technique prospects for 2011. Both are on another level from any of the 3-4 DE prospects in the past several years.

Reports are that Hightower has been a beast this spring for Bama, and that his recovery from a knee injury has been near-miraculous. Grat size, speed and work ethic. I agree he could move outside nicely. He and Akeem Ayers are both 6'4" 250# guys with the size and physicality the Pats covet, but who wouldn't have to make the conversion from DE to the LB position. Cliff Matthews has also played a bunch of LB at South Carolina.

Where was DonkeyKong Suh last year at this time on everyones draft board?

Where was DonkeyKong Suh last year at this time on everyones draft board?

Andrew Perloff from CNNSI had him going #6 in his first mock from April 2009. Pete Prisco had him ranked his #2 overall prospect (after Jevan Snead!). Chad Reuter from NFLdraftscout had him listed as a "mid 1st round" prospect (along with CB Trevard Lindley who went undrafted, Greg Hardy who went in the 6th round and Brandon LaFell who went in the 3rd round).

Also, this time a year ago Rolando McClain was a late 1st/early 2nd round pick on most people's boards (Prisco had him 30, Perloff 29). 2 years ago Aaron Curry was a 2nd round prospect at this time.

Another under-the-radar guy to keep an eye on for 2011 is Stanford senior OG Andrew Phillips - 6'5", 300#, a classics major. Phillips was outstanding in both pass protection and run blocking last year. Another classics major from Stanford.

As of right now there are about a dozen guys who I have pegged as "Pats prospects", regardless of where they are likely to go in the draft - versatile, smart, high motor, physical, team-first guys (juniors with an asterix *):

1. Marcell Dareus*, DE/DT, Alabama. 6'4" 296#, nicknamed "the Beast". Top 15 pick.

2. Dont'a Hightower*, LB, Alabama. 6'4" 250#, versatile and physical. Could end up better than Rolando McClain, and could play inside or out. Coming off a knee injury, but supposedly has been tearing it up in Spring practice.

3. Akeem Ayers, OLB, UCLA. 6'4" 252#. Built like a fire hydrant but able to cover sideline to sideline.

4. Michael Floyd*, WR, Notre Dame. 6'3" 220#. A physical WR who plays like Dez Bryant, but without the issues.

5. John Moffitt, OG/C, Wisconsin. 6'5" 323#. A Connecticut kid with 29 starts through is junior year, 15 at center, 14 at LG.

6. Jason Pinkston, OT, Pittsburgh. 6'4" 305#. Very athletic and experienced OT. Former TE.

7. Jeremy Beal, DE/OLB, Oklahoma. 6'3" 263#. Versatile, high motor blue collar guy who started out at OLB.

8. Cliff Matthews, DE/OLB, South Carolina. 6'4" 249#. Very high motor guy who has played LB as well as DE for the gamecocks.

9. Daniel Thomas, RB, Kansas St. 6'2" 227#. A bruising back with soft hands who averaged 5.1 YPC and 10.3 YPR.

10. Jacquizz Rodgers*, RB, Oregon St. 5'7" 193#. A "pocket Hercules" with 22 TDs and 75 receptions last year.

11. Ryan Winterswyk, DE/OLB, Boise St. 6'4" 263#. Another versatile, high motor kid.

12, Andrew Phillips, OG, Stanford. 6'5" 300#. A classics major who was a beast last year both protecting Andrew Luck and blocking for Toby Gerhart.

There's probably some others, but these 12 seem like Pats-type players to me. I wouldn't be surprised to see at least one of them on the roster a year from now.

As of right now there are about a dozen guys who I have pegged as "Pats prospects", regardless of where they are likely to go in the draft - versatile, smart, high motor, physical, team-first guys (juniors with an asterix *):

1. Marcell Dareus*, DE/DT, Alabama. 6'4" 296#, nicknamed "the Beast". Top 15 pick.

2. Dont'a Hightower*, LB, Alabama. 6'4" 250#, versatile and physical. Could end up better than Rolando McClain, and could play inside or out. Coming off a knee injury, but supposedly has been tearing it up in Spring practice.

3. Akeem Ayers, OLB, UCLA. 6'4" 252#. Built like a fire hydrant but able to cover sideline to sideline.

4. Michael Floyd*, WR, Notre Dame. 6'3" 220#. A physical WR who plays like Dez Bryant, but without the issues.

5. John Moffitt, OG/C, Wisconsin. 6'5" 323#. A Connecticut kid with 29 starts through is junior year, 15 at center, 14 at LG.

6. Jason Pinkston, OT, Pittsburgh. 6'4" 305#. Very athletic and experienced OT. Former TE.

7. Jeremy Beal, DE/OLB, Oklahoma. 6'3" 263#. Versatile, high motor blue collar guy who started out at OLB.

8. Cliff Matthews, DE/OLB, South Carolina. 6'4" 249#. Very high motor guy who has played LB as well as DE for the gamecocks.

9. Daniel Thomas, RB, Kansas St. 6'2" 227#. A bruising back with soft hands who averaged 5.1 YPC and 10.3 YPR.

10. Jacquizz Rodgers*, RB, Oregon St. 5'7" 193#. A "pocket Hercules" with 22 TDs and 75 receptions last year.

11. Ryan Winterswyk, DE/OLB, Boise St. 6'4" 263#. Another versatile, high motor kid.

12, Andrew Phillips, OG, Stanford. 6'5" 300#. A classics major who was a beast last year both protecting Andrew Luck and blocking for Toby Gerhart.

There's probably some others, but these 12 seem like Pats-type players to me. I wouldn't be surprised to see at least one of them on the roster a year from now.

No Pats love for Quinn?

No Pats love for Quinn?

I love Robert Quinn. I've been touting him as the best strongside DE/OLB prospect I've ever seen since last October. But I was specifically focusing on players who would be good fits for the Pats' in terms of character, work ethic, etc., not just athletic freaks (which is why I listed Michael Floyd rather than Jonathan Baldwin). Not that Quinn doesn't have the intangibles - brain cancer survivor, very hard worker, 2 time state wrestling champ, called "a player with no ego" by Coach Butch Davis. So he could definitely be added to the list. If anything, he was so obvious a fit that I thought that he didn't need to be listed.

I love Robert Quinn. I've been touting him as the best strongside DE/OLB prospect I've ever seen since last October. But I was specifically focusing on players who would be good fits for the Pats' in terms of character, work ethic, etc., not just athletic freaks (which is why I listed Michael Floyd rather than Jonathan Baldwin). Not that Quinn doesn't have the intangibles - brain cancer survivor, very hard worker, 2 time state wrestling champ, called "a player with no ego" by Coach Butch Davis. So he could definitely be added to the list. If anything, he was so obvious a fit that I thought that he didn't need to be listed.

Wrong!

Add him!:thumb:

Wrong!

Add him!:thumb:

BTW, right now Quinn and Marcell Dareus are my co-#1 prospects for the Pats. Quinn would probably be #1 by himself, except for 3 issues:

1. He is a conversion, which adds risk.
2. He will probably go top 5, so I don't want to get my hopes up too much.
3. There are a lot of other talented pass rushers and 3-4 OLB prospects likely to be available (Greg Romeus, possibly Aldon Smith, Jeremy Beal, Akeem Ayers, Dont'a Hightower, Cliff Matthews, Jack Crawford and Von Miller, among others), so if we miss out on Quinn there's still a very good chance of getting a stud at that position. Not as much depth a 3-4 DE.

It'd be only fitting we use the Raidahs pick on a true stud DE while they have Big Sey signed for huge scratch and on the back 15....

Back