2011 NFL Draft Day 2 Thread

mayoclinic

Sith Apprentice
Reaction score
OK, day 1 is in the books. Most people are probably deflated - as they were at least time last year, when we traded back and took some ST ace named McCourty at #27.

This year is no different. We passed up DE and OLB to take an ultra-athletic OT labelled as "raw" and "soft". So I'm expected a perenniel all pro LT to pair with Sebastian Vollmer and give the Pats the best bookend tackles in the NFL for the next 5-10 years. The OT position should be solid for the foreseeable future, and that's a rare luxury in the NFL. Plus we got that extra 2012 1st round pick that everyone knew was coming.

Last year, the Pats came off of day 1 to have the concensus best day 2 in the NFL. And I expect this year to be no different. There are half a dozen players still available who have 1st round talent - in many cases, top 15 talent:

- DT/DE Marvin Austin
- DE/OLB Da'Quan Bowers
- OLB Bruce Carter

Lots of other solid prospects:

- DE/OLB Derek Sherrod
- DE/OLB Brooks Reed
- DE/OLB Justin Houston
- DE/DT Kenrick Ellis
- DE/DT Jarvis Jenkins
- OLB Akeem Ayers (no thanks)
- OLB/ILB Marquez Wilson (no thanks)
- OL Ben Ijalana
- OG/C Stefen Wisniewski
- RB Mike Leshoure
- RB Ryan Wiliams

And many others. Plus Andy Dalton, Ryan Mallett and Colin Kaepernick are still on the board, and someone may pay a ransom to trade up for them.

With 5 picks, I expect the Pats to trade around some more and get at least one more 2012 pick. I expect 1 interior lineman, 1 DL, and 1 DE/OLB tomorrow.

I know you are right, but I know that when the pats were winning superbowls, it was defense defense defense, and that was lacking last year especially up front. Is the pats window with Brady and some players we have really strong enough to make it to 2012 when we might take a pass rush at that point? I still think the pats passed on some very good talent that would have been good on this team.

I know you are right, but I know that when the pats were winning superbowls, it was defense defense defense, and that was lacking last year especially up front. Is the pats window with Brady and some players we have really strong enough to make it to 2012 when we might take a pass rush at that point? I still think the pats passed on some very good talent that would have been good on this team.

You do realize that the 2003 Patriots had linebackers with 8, 9, 5 and 9 years of experience, right? And that only one of those guys was a first rounder?

I wanted defense in the first round. And I wanted Cam Jordan in particular. So I can empathize. But:

1. OL is clearly one of the most important pieces of the team, and solidifying the OT position for the next decade is huge.

2. If Scar convinced BB that Solder was worth spending the #17 pick on then I'm convinced Solder will become something special. Another Vollmer.

3. There's a ton of defensive talent left on the boad, including half a dozen guys who were potential 1st round picks. I'm guessing the Pats will get some strong contributors in the 2nd round.

IBWT.

You do realize that the 2003 Patriots had linebackers with 8, 9, 5 and 9 years of experience, right? And that only one of those guys was a first rounder?

And I am sure there are hall of fame QB's in the 6th round too. Do I need to pretend that I was the only one that wanted the pats to draft defense today? I will have to look through all the threads that said, man if we can get an OT and trade everything else out of the first, I will be doing cartwheels. Please lets not pretend, thats what everyone was saying or wanting.

I wanted defense in the first round. And I wanted Cam Jordan in particular. So I can empathize. But:

1. OL is clearly one of the most important pieces of the team, and solidifying the OT position for the next decade is huge.

2. If Scar convinced BB that Solder was worth spending the #17 pick on then I'm convinced Solder will become something special. Another Vollmer.

3. There's a ton of defensive talent left on the boad, including half a dozen guys who were potential 1st round picks. I'm guessing the Pats will get some strong contributors in the 2nd round.

IBWT.

I do not dislike the OT pick, it was a need, although maybe not as bad as guard, but still a good pick. I cannot trash that pick, I really do not know a lot about the kid, although it looked like he had issues with knee bending and some quick guys got around him pretty easy, but they see something in him, so its a fair take, but to say I am happy because we did not take one of those defensive players that most people on this board were wanting as much as me, I just can't.

And I am sure there are hall of fame QB's in the 6th round too. Do I need to pretend that I was the only one that wanted the pats to draft defense today? I will have to look through all the threads that said, man if we can get an OT and trade everything else out of the first, I will be doing cartwheels. Please lets not pretend, thats what everyone was saying or wanting.

Not everyone is taking it quite so badly though. Lots of people predicted Defense, most did so with an acceptance that BB would take the best player available, almost regardless of need. If he doesn't think a DL or OLB is worth the 17th pick, no amount of teeth gnashing or wailing from the hoi polloi will make him take one in that spot.

You have already said that you don't know much about the front 7 players who are still available in the next few rounds and I am in the same boat. I expect Bill does and that he has a plan to address the team needs.

Relax. It will all come together.

I do not dislike the OT pick, it was a need, although maybe not as bad as guard, but still a good pick. I cannot trash that pick, I really do not know a lot about the kid, although it looked like he had issues with knee bending and some quick guys got around him pretty easy, but they see something in him, so its a fair take, but to say I am happy because we did not take one of those defensive players that most people on this board were wanting as much as me, I just can't.

Wait till tomorrow. If the Pats have not addressed the defensive front 7 by this time tomorrow night, then I will agree with you.

I think the last DE the pats took in the first round and that was Richard Seymour... How did that work out for us? :coffee:
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Wait till tomorrow. If the Pats have not addressed the defensive front 7 by this time tomorrow night, then I will agree with you.

Oh I know man, I did this last year too with McCourty you might remember, and then we cleaned up with Gronk and hernandez. I guess I just hate the fact that the jets got a player I really wanted to be here on this team. Of course I said that about Gholston too. ROFL

I think the last DE the pats took in the first round and that was Richard Seymour... How did that work out for us? :coffee:
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

I am still waiting for his replacement. I know that its not on this team right now. Is gerald warren still around?

Oh I know man, I did this last year too with McCourty you might remember, and then we cleaned up with Gronk and hernandez. I guess I just hate the fact that the jets got a player I really wanted to be here on this team. Of course I said that about Gholston too. ROFL

I'm not too disappointed about Wilkerson. Solid player, but I'm not convinced he will be that tremendous. Heck, this time last year everyone thought the Jets had gotten a steal in Kyle Wilson.

What about Ty Warren in 2003?

What about the following trade to open round 2:

- NE trades #33 and #60 to Washington for #41 and #49 (which Washington picked up from Jacksonville).

Washington then uses #33 on their QB of the future - Andy Dalton, Ryan Mallett, or Colin Kaepernick - and still has a 2nd round pick at #60. The Pats are left with picks at 41, 49, 56, 74 and 92.

With those picks I would do the following:

- 41: Marvin Austin, DT, North Carolina. Top 15 talent.
- 49: Da'Qua Bowers, DE/OLB, Clemson. Top 15 talent. Worth a gamble this late.
- 56: Kenrick Ellis, DT, Hampton. 1st round talent.
- 74: Best available interior lineman
- 92: Trade into 2012

I think it's BB's style to roll the dice in the 2nd round on guys who dropped for various reasons - Darius Butler, Rob Gronkowski, Brandon Spikes, etc. - and take some risks (Sebastian Vollmer). But I'm open to other possibilities. There's lots of talent left - perhaps as much as there was in the 1st round. There were a ton of reaches in the 1st round, IMHO.

"Teams have to stop dealing with the Patriots
They’re like a credit card company. U get a little something now, but they end up with everything.
Stop trading with them already!!!!!!"

"The Pats are on schedule to end up with 31 picks in the first round one year. The other pick in the draft will be held by the Colts because Polian is difficult to trade with."

ROFL

Consider some of the talent who went in the 2nd round last year:

33. Rodger Saffold. Starting LT as a rookie for the Rams.
40. Koa Misi. Starting 3-4 OLB as a rookie for Miami.
42. Rob Gronkowski. Helped revolutionize the Pats offense as a rookie.
54. Carlos Dunlap. 9.5 sacks as a sub pass rusher.

Plus lots of other strong contributors. There will be some big time talents in the 2nd round. Consider some of the following defensive prospects:

- Da'Quan Bowers - considered a possible #1 pick 3 months ago
- Marvin Austin - concensus top 15 talent
- Bruce Carter - top 15 talent prior to injury
- Brooks Reed - mocked in the late 1st round by many
- Jabaal Sheard - see Brooks Reed
- Akeem Ayers - considered a top 20 talent by some
- Kenrick Ellis - considered to have a higher ceiling than #22 Phil Taylor by many
- Stephen Paea - considered a 1st round talent by many

Most of those guys would not have been major surprises if they had ended up in the 1st round.

Need someone to rush the passer.

I bet nobody won the $10 million from Bud Light. :coffee:

Okay - I think the Raiders to 33 is in the offing. Wouldn't be surprised to see Bailey picked in the 2nd as our five-technique guy in this round.

Can't wait - should be a lot of fun with three picks - could be four if we trade 33.

My Wishlist for the 2nd:

OL:- Stefan Wisniewski, Rodney Hudson
WR:- Torrey Smith, Greg Little, Randall Cobb, Leonard Hankerson
RB:- Mikel Leshoure, Ryan Williams
DL:- Jarvis Jenkins, Kendrick Ellis,
OLB:- Brooks Reed
Sec:- Brandon Harris, Aaron Williams, Davon House, Curtis Brown

Back