2014 OTAs, Mini-camp & Training Camp

When is Armstead going to get cut. Harrison the very hyped Rookie already been cut. Is he even going to be ready for TC.

James Anderson is a perfect signing.
He may not be much more than average but he fills by far our biggest weakness of D.
For 3 or 4 years he's been the best player in his front 7 because everyone else is injured.

From Mike Reiss

This marks the third week of voluntary organized team activities for the Patriots. One notable change is that teams can schedule up to four OTAs in the third week, which is one extra from the previous two weeks.

Here is a snapshot look at the next two weeks:

Organized team activities
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday (open to reporters), Friday

Community MVP Awards
Monday (with owner Robert Kraft, quarterback Tom Brady, linebacker Jerod Mayo)

Mandatory minicamp
June 17-19 (each day open to reporters; closed to public)

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-...eek?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Doug Kyed details a poss battle between Buchanan and Will Smith for the pass rushing DE job. I guess he thinks Bequette is already out of the race.

http://nesn.com/2014/06/patriots-film-study-michael-buchanan-will-smith-battle-for-pass-rush-role/

He's also ignoring 6th-rounder Zach Moore. Eh.

The summation may be dead on, IMO:

Smith already is stronger, and if Jones or Ninkovich got injured, Smith would be the better backup option on first and second down, since he proved to be a solid run defender two seasons ago. Smith also could mix in as a rotational option while Buchanan plays in nickel packages if the Patriots choose to keep both players and activate them on Sundays.

Buchanan's other failing was his run-D, even his awareness of a run, and setting the edge. If he's bulked up to 265 or so (from his original 255), that could certainly help, but he still has to show that he's grasped his assignments more comprehensively. Even as a dedicated rusher, he still needs to be aware that a run could be coming his way. Which is something that Smith could help him with (and probably give some pointers to Chandler, as well).

Buchanan's other failing was his run-D, even his awareness of a run, and setting the edge. If he's bulked up to 265 or so (from his original 255), that could certainly help, but he still has to show that he's grasped his assignments more comprehensively. Even as a dedicated rusher, he still needs to be aware that a run could be coming his way. Which is something that Smith could help him with (and probably give some pointers to Chandler, as well).

I agree that Buchanan wasn't quite up to par in his run D, but think that was more due to the way he was allowed to free-lance and rush at Illinois than just his slim frame, which also didn't help. I've watched him pretty carefully and think he has the skills of a good all-down DE.

He's got long arms and uses them pretty effectively to lock out and keep arms off his body, is quite strong for his weight and can run and chase very well which is maybe why he got a long look on special teams last year. That is fairly unusual for a defensive lineman. Buchanan can get to the edge easily with plus wheels, which you can't say for a lot of DEs. He works hard to find the ball and doesn't quit on plays. He covers a lot of ground. He's going to be fine once he learns his run fits a little better.

Where he struggles is in hesitating while he tries to process where the play is going and gets caught too far inside, but at times I did see him fighting to set an edge and let the inside help do their thing. He needs to do that consistently, but last year might have been the first time he's really had to play team D and he needs reps.

By comparison, I've watched whatever I could of Jake Bequette over the last two years and can find no redeeming qualities to his game whatsoever.

I like Buchanan a lot and look forward to watching him develop. I don't know what his ceiling is, but "good" is definitely within reach in 2014.

Do you think that any of that could have been due to the players in the middle?

That is, due to injuries we didn't have our best players inside and so the offense didn't have to double team there and so had more flexibility and/or blockers to attack the outside.

Get there at least 1/2 hr before practice time to get a decent view. 45 min. is better. The bleachers fill up fast. Failing that, the hill gives a good view but look for a spot under a shade tree and realize people tend to mill around you a lot on the hill. Bring a blanket for a seat on the grass or as padding for the bleachers. Be sure to go thru the Pats HOF wh/ is usually open on practice days.

I second the choice of bleachers - crowd is into it. The hill is a good place for the kids to play.

At my last TC visit I learnedly more about the females in my family than anything Patriot related. 3 sisters -half a dozen neices plus my daughter -me being the only y chromosome. Over the years none of these girls were interested in a TC visit. But now the Pats are winners and have a certain QB. At the end of practice my 12 year old daughter had snapped a picture of #12 and came charging up the hill like she won first prize at the state fair- I GOT IT. I GOT IT.

All the girls were happy.

Do you think that any of that could have been due to the players in the middle?

That is, due to injuries we didn't have our best players inside and so the offense didn't have to double team there and so had more flexibility and/or blockers to attack the outside.

Actually, I was just reading how Vellano got double-teamed quite a bit, so I presume that Chris Jones did, as well. I saw Siliga get double-teamed.

In any case, the bulk of Buchanan's snaps came in the first seven games, after which they brought back Carter. He had Wilfork for three of those and Kelly for four and a half.

I agree that Buchanan wasn't quite up to par in his run D, but think that was more due to the way he was allowed to free-lance and rush at Illinois than just his slim frame, which also didn't help. I've watched him pretty carefully and think he has the skills of a good all-down DE.

He's got long arms and uses them pretty effectively to lock out and keep arms off his body, is quite strong for his weight and can run and chase very well which is maybe why he got a long look on special teams last year. That is fairly unusual for a defensive lineman. Buchanan can get to the edge easily with plus wheels, which you can't say for a lot of DEs. He works hard to find the ball and doesn't quit on plays. He covers a lot of ground. He's going to be fine once he learns his run fits a little better.

Where he struggles is in hesitating while he tries to process where the play is going and gets caught too far inside, but at times I did see him fighting to set an edge and let the inside help do their thing. He needs to do that consistently, but last year might have been the first time he's really had to play team D and he needs reps.

By comparison, I've watched whatever I could of Jake Bequette over the last two years and can find no redeeming qualities to his game whatsoever.

I like Buchanan a lot and look forward to watching him develop. I don't know what his ceiling is, but "good" is definitely within reach in 2014.

He certainly has some speed and skills, and it's no huge surprise that he was a bit lost out there as a rookie. I'm not saying that he can't be "good", just point out where he needs to improve for 2014. BTW, getting caught inside was still a bit of an issue at times for Chandler last season.

Doug Kyed details a poss battle between Buchanan and Will Smith for the pass rushing DE job. I guess he thinks Bequette is already out of the race.

http://nesn.com/2014/06/patriots-film-study-michael-buchanan-will-smith-battle-for-pass-rush-role/

Oliver Thomas ‏<s>@</s>OliverBThomas <small class="time"> 5m </small> Edge-rusher Quentin Groves, released by the Browns last Friday, visited the Patriots Wednesday, per <s>@</s>RapSheet. 6'3", 265-pound 29-year-old.

Groves is one of the highest energy players I've ever seen play. OLB/DE whirling dervish.

Mike resets the WRs

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- The New England Patriots filled their 90th roster spot with rookie receiver Jeremy Johnson of SMU on Thursday. With some changes at the position in recent weeks, let's do a re-set with a quick-hit thought:

Aaron Dobson -- Second-round draft choice from 2013 has been sidelined after undergoing surgery on his left foot in February for a stress fracture. The Patriots are counting on him to be an outside presence to complement their smaller, shiftier receivers.

Julian Edelman -- Entering his sixth season, the leading receiver from 2013 looks like he's picked up where he left off last year.

Danny Amendola -- Just as he did in OTAs last year, he's caught the eye with his quickness as he looks healthy again.

Brandon LaFell -- At 6-foot-2 and 210 pounds, the former Panther adds an element of size that showed up in the red zone last week. He plays inside and outside.

Kenbrell Thompkins -- The undrafted rookie from 2013 looks a little bigger and is often on the field with top players like Edelman and Amendola in practice.

Josh Boyce -- The 2013 fourth-round pick is taking first reps as a kickoff returner and has talked about his increased comfort level in the offense.

Matthew Slater -- Special-teams captain has been held out of practice.

Jeremy Gallon -- Seventh-round pick out of Michigan worked as a punt returner a few weeks ago, but wasn't spotted last week.

Reggie Dunn -- First-year player can fly; he's showing up more in the kickoff return game.

Wilson Van Hooser -- The undrafted free agent is competing hard and doesn't look out of place.

Reese Wiggins -- Similar to Van Hooser, the undrafted free agent is competing hard and doesn't look out of place.

Jeremy Johnson -- Joins the mix today and will wear No. 84.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-...763977/re-setting-the-patriots-wide-receivers

Actually, I was just reading how Vellano got double-teamed quite a bit, so I presume that Chris Jones did, as well. I saw Siliga get double-teamed.

In any case, the bulk of Buchanan's snaps came in the first seven games, after which they brought back Carter. He had Wilfork for three of those and Kelly for four and a half.

Thanks for the answer.

I asked because I wondered if it was the inverse of what's happened with plenty of big name FA DL.

They play really well on team A, sign for big bucks on team B and don't play as well.

Turns out that when on team A the offense was focusing on someone else leaving them 1 on 1 and they could excel.

Oliver Thomas ‏<s>@</s>OliverBThomas <small class="time"> 5m </small> Edge-rusher Quentin Groves, released by the Browns last Friday, visited the Patriots Wednesday, per <s>@</s>RapSheet. 6'3", 265-pound 29-year-old.

Groves is one of the highest energy players I've ever seen play. OLB/DE whirling dervish.

I liked him at Auburn and thought he was a polished pass-rusher with a great closing burst. The kind of guy that was always making big plays. I had hoped the Pats were interested and figured he was a good candidate to convert to OLB in our system, but he hasn't really been a big impact player and has been traded from and cut from some pretty bad football teams since.

He's a good guy who works hard as you said and I hope he catches on here as a rotational/back-up guy.

I liked him at Auburn and thought he was a polished pass-rusher with a great closing burst. The kind of guy that was always making big plays. I had hoped the Pats were interested and figured he was a good candidate to convert to OLB in our system, but he hasn't really been a big impact player and has been traded from and cut from some pretty bad football teams since.

He's a good guy who works hard as you said and I hope he catches on here as a rotational/back-up guy.

If he's a STer too, adds depth at OLB, and can fill a bit of the pass rush need I don't see how we're not better with him here and bye-bye Bequette.

If he's a STer too, adds depth at OLB, and can fill a bit of the pass rush need I don't see how we're not better with him here and bye-bye Bequette.

I agree with both of you.

How is he still on the team. He been inactive almost his entire NFL career. Ras-IR has played in more games.

Back