2021 Draft: Round 2 Patriots Select Barmore with the 38th Pick!

Instead of looking at all of NFL history, I suggest looking back at the previous 20 years. The league went to 32 teams in 2002, and the draft was 7 rounds at the time, as it is now. Compensatory draft choices were available then, so there were more than 32 picks in the round.

So 20 years of fourth round draft picks, at 36 - 40 picks per year (in recent years, a lot more compensatory picks have been awarded). Let's call it an average of 38 picks in the fourth round each year. Approximately 760 picks in the last 20 years.

Here's a list of all 4th round draft picks that have made a least one Pro Bowl:

2002: David Garrard
2003: Asante Samuel, Brandon Lloyd, Ovie Mughelli
2004: Shaun Phillips, Nathan Vasher, Jared Allen
2005: Jerome Mathis, Darren Sproles
2006: Jahri Evans, Stephen Gostkowski, Brandon Marshall (the WR), Elvis Dumervil
2007: Paul Soliai, Zak DeOssie, Jermon Bushrod, Le'Ron McClain
2008: Josh Sitton
2009: Henry Melton, TJ Lang, Glover Quin
2010: Everson Griffen, Alterraun Verner, Darrel Stuckey, Geno Atkins
2011: KJ Wright, Jordan Cameron, Julius Thomas
2012: Lamar Miller, Kirk Cousins, Mike Daniels
2013: David Bahktiari, Kyle Juszczyk
2014: Devonta Freeman
2015: Za'Darius Smith, Kwon Alexander
2016: Joe Schobert, Pharoh Cooper, Dak Prescott
2017: Eddie Jackson, Takik Cohen
2018:
2019:
2020:
2021:

That's 41 Pro-Bowl players out of ~760 picks. That's just over a 5% chance of picking up a Pro Bowl player. That number will likely go up a little bit, as there probably be some members of the 2018-2021 classes that make a Pro-Bowl.

The Pro-Bowl is actually a pretty low bar for accomplishment - when I look at the list I recognize a little more than half of those players. Maybe ten stand out as really good players: Asante Samuel and Stephen Gostkowski on the Patriots. Jared Allen and KJ Wright and Darren Sproles and Geno Atkins. Dak Prescott and David Bakhtiari and Elvis Dumervil. The Brandons (Lloyd and Marshall) were pretty good receivers.

Some of the others had a good year or two. And some are well-known (Kirk Cousins) but have hardly distinguished themselves. Cousins did go the Pro Bowl twice, but both times it was as an alternate. He's been handsomely paid over the course of his career, but is just .500 overall as a starter. Not bad for a 4th round pick who many saw as just an insurance policy for the RG3 pick. So sometimes a fourth round pick will pay off; a Kirk Cousins level of performance is probably the best a team should hope for, but usually they won't see this even this kind of return on their investment.

In conclusion - there's a low probability that a team will get a Pro Bowl player with its fourth round pick. It's even possible they could get someone who will give them an All-Pro year or two. They're almost certainly not going to get a HOF player (Jared Allen is probably the only one on this list that will get consideration).

Most likely, and that means 95% of the time, they'll get a guy who is interchangeable with a guy that got drafted in rounds 5-7, or with a UDFA.

Last edited:
Instead of looking at all of NFL history, I suggest looking back at the previous 20 years. The league went to 32 teams in 2002, and the draft was 7 rounds at the time, as it is now. Compensatory draft choices were available then, so there were more than 32 picks in the round.

So 20 years of fourth round draft picks, at 36 - 40 picks per year (in recent years, a lot more compensatory picks have been awarded). Let's call it an average of 38 picks in the fourth round each year. Approximately 760 picks in the last 20 years.

Here's a list of all 4th round draft picks that have made a least one Pro Bowl:

2002: David Garrard
2003: Asante Samuel, Brandon Lloyd, Ovie Mughelli
2004: Shaun Phillips, Nathan Vasher, Jared Allen
2005: Jerome Mathis, Darren Sproles
2006: Jahri Evans, Stephen Gostkowski, Brandon Marshall (the WR), Elvis Dumervil
2007: Paul Soliai, Zak DeOssie, Jermon Bushrod, Le'Ron McClain
2008: Josh Sitton
2009: Henry Melton, TJ Lang, Glover Quin
2010: Everson Griffen, Alterraun Verner, Darrel Stuckey, Geno Atkins
2011: KJ Wright, Jordan Cameron, Julius Thomas
2012: Lamar Miller, Kirk Cousins, Mike Daniels
2013: David Bahktiari, Kyle Juszczyk
2014: Devonta Freeman
2015: Za'Darius Smith, Kwon Alexander
2016: Joe Schobert, Pharoh Cooper, Dak Prescott
2017: Eddie Jackson, Takik Cohen
2018:
2019:
2020:
2021:

That's 41 Pro-Bowl players out of ~760 picks. That's just over a 5% chance of picking up a Pro Bowl player. That number will likely go up a little bit, as there probably be some members of the 2018-2021 classes that make a Pro-Bowl.

The Pro-Bowl is actually a pretty low bar for accomplishment - when I look at the list I recognize a little more than half of those players. Maybe ten stand out as really good players: Asante Samuel and Stephen Gostkowski on the Patriots. Jared Allen and KJ Wright and Darren Sproles and Geno Atkins. Dak Prescott and David Bakhtiari and Elvis Dumervil. The Brandons (Lloyd and Marshall) were pretty good receivers.

Some of the others had a good year or two. And some are well-known (Kirk Cousins) but have hardly distinguished themselves. Cousins did go the Pro Bowl twice, but both times it was as an alternate. He's been handsomely paid over the course of his career, but is just .500 overall as a starter. Not bad for a 4th round pick who many saw as just an insurance policy for the RG3 pick. So sometimes a fourth round pick will pay off; a Kirk Cousins level of performance is probably the best a team should hope for, but usually they won't see this even this kind of return on their investment.

In conclusion - there's a low probability that a team will get a Pro Bowl player with its fourth round pick. It's even possible they could get someone who will give them an All-Pro year or two. They're almost certainly not going to get a HOF player (Jared Allen is probably the only one on this list that will get consideration).

Most likely, and that means 95% of the time, they'll get a guy who is interchangeable with a guy that got drafted in rounds 5-7, or with a UDFA.
You should make a thread on this topic!

It seems Barmore was a bit of a steal. Many had him going in the top 25.

There were reasons he fell. Some teams think he'll be a bust. Irresponsible, lazy, low IQ.
It seems he was late to meetings, late to practices and he regularly skipped classes. I've read that Saban was barely able to hold him together.
BB won't put up with it but it won't go public, at least not in the beginning. He'll simply not be present for a practice or two without explanation.
Hopefully it doesn't go beyond that. We'll see.

Trading two fourth rounders to move up to get Barmore is a typical Belichick move.

Take a look at all the fourth round draft choices across the league over the last 5 years (2016-2020). You won't find very many players whose names you'll recognize as NFL starters, or even JAGs. The only one of note is Dak Prescott.

Even going back 10 years, there's just a handful of guys that make it out the 4th round and become good players. The best use of those picks was to move up the draft board, IMO.
In general yes. In specific, hell yes.

There were reasons he fell. Some teams think he'll be a bust. Irresponsible, lazy, low IQ.
It seems he was late to meetings, late to practices and he regularly skipped classes. I've read that Saban was barely able to hold him together.
BB won't put up with it but it won't go public, at least not in the beginning. He'll simply not be present for a practice or two without explanation.
Hopefully it doesn't go beyond that. We'll see.
I read comments from Saban where he said reports that Barmore was "uncoachable" was BS. Maybe a predictable response from Saban but either way, no better coach than Bill to get a player pointed where he needs to get to. He'll either toe the line or he'll be gone and I expect he knows this. I'm sure Hightower will spell it out to him and Mayo will also keep him on the level.

I read comments from Saban where he said reports that Barmore was "uncoachable" was BS. Maybe a predictable response from Saban but either way, no better coach than Bill to get a player pointed where he needs to get to. He'll either toe the line or he'll be gone and I expect he knows this. I'm sure Hightower will spell it out to him and Mayo will also keep him on the level.
From your mouth ...

Cheers

Back