33 Years of Watching Patriots SuperBowls

oldbagfan

No touchy
Reaction score
Not wanting to get too far ahead of myself, but as I tried to fall asleep last night - riding high on elation - I looked back over all the previous SBs I've watched the Pats play. Here's my one liner recollections for each.

1986: Chicago/NE - A Gattling gun couldn't have stopped that Bears squad.
1997: Packers/NE - We played OK, but the Blues Brothers played better.
2002 - NE/Rams: New kid Tom Brady makes his debut and gives us a glimpse of the glories that await
2004 - NE/Panthers: Great competitive game, back and forth, start to finish.
2005 - NE/Philly - What stands out for me is McNabb puking.
2008- The most agony I ever suffered over a loss: The Wound That Will Never Heal
2012 - NE/Giants - I must've slept through this one
2015 - NE/Seattle: Malcolm Butler permanently in the record books
2017 - NE/Falcons: A lesson in it ain't over till it's over; major satisfaction
2018- Eagles/NE - Too much damn hype leading into the game gave this loss a particularly sour taste

Anybody else who's seen them all want to play along?
:patriotlogo::patriotlogo::patriotlogo::patriotlogo::patriotlogo:

Not wanting to get too far ahead of myself, but as I tried to fall asleep last night - riding high on elation - I looked back over all the previous SBs I've watched the Pats play. Here's my one liner recollections for each.

2002 - NE/Rams: New kid Tom Brady makes his debut and gives us a glimpse of the glories that await
2008- The most agony I ever suffered over a loss: The Wound That Will Never Heal
2018- Eagles/NE - Too much damn hype leading into the game gave this loss a particularly sour taste

Can't disagree with any of these except:

A more motivated Parcells could have changed the outcome. There was a pall hanging over the team for the entire lead up.

I'll also add that the playoff runs for the 1st 3 were so different from the last 7 simply because of expectations. The 1st 3 trips were completely unexpected and there was an air of "just happy to be there". Since then, it's all or nothing which adds more stress.

1986: College senior. Huge party in my room. Hammered by halftime
1997: After the Howard return, my 18 month old uttered his first swear word (repeated mine)
2002: Watched the fourth quarter in my basement as my house was full
2004: Really enjoyed this game
2005: On my birthday.
2008: Had to listen to all the haters in my house (Steeler, Redskin and Bear fans)
2012: See above
2015: Some clown kept uttering "Pats can't stop Lynch. This game is over." He was not around for the final minutes.
2017: My phone was blowing up with haters calling me. I saved all the voice mails.
2018: Tough game to watch. This was winnable.

1986: I was one year old, so can't say much about this one.
1997: First SB as a fan, I was a kid, but I remember being pretty disappointed
2002: On the FG I jumped so high I hit my fist on the ceiling. I was a teen
2004: It was a fun game and I was sure Pats would pull through, which they did.
2005: While it was seemingly close I felt this one was pretty one-sided
2008: Still not over it. Worst I've taken a loss. Must have not gone outside for like a month
2012: It sucked, but I guess it's like a broken heart. The second time hurts a lot less?
2015: After such agony that Butler pick was so, so sweet
2017: A lot of taunting and many people poking at me, in the end that shit eating grin lasted months
2018: Probably the easiest I've taken a loss, but I still refuse to watch any highlights. Fuck the Philly Special

1986: The Fridge and the early injury to Patriots tight end
1997: Patriots comeback; kicking directly to D Howard, globe prints McDonough
2002: Ty Law in beautiful Heisman mode; Tebucky to the house (whoops)
2004: Carolina QB exuberance; Big pass to Branch late-game
2005: Andy Reed confusing slowdown; final Rodney INT to seal the deal
2008: Randy Moss go-ahead TD; Eli Manning clutch game-ending performance
2012: Tom Brady intentional grounding; Giant's RB Bradshaw 'should I score'?
2015: Great focus by Mathews on late catch; poor Pete Carroll's face at INT
2017: Breathless, immaculate comeback; Brady cements Greatest QB of all time
2018: Patriots play with frowns from start-no Butler; MVP's team loses SB again

1997: This was the year there was the big scandal that the Pats were doing drugs. If they were, they must have been the wrong drugs.

:D

1997: This was the year there was the big scandal that the Pats were doing drugs. If they were, they must have been the wrong drugs.

:D

That was '86. Right after the game, the Globe published an article about the extensive drug use and, IIRC, also accused Berry of knowing and ignoring it.

Best SB experience was the one vs the Panthers. Game was tight and Brady led that drive to make it 32-29. That was a good SB. But nothing will ever top that Malcolm Butler Interception. Because that was a here we go again. Falcons game was also a good one but everybody knew TB was gonna March down the field in OT and win

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was '86. Right after the game, the Globe published an article about the extensive drug use and, IIRC, also accused Berry of knowing and ignoring it.

Right you are. I stand corrected. Everything during those years is pretty scrambled up for me. I guess I was the one doing drugs.
:dith:

True, but it would have also helped if Drew hadn't thrown 4 picks. :suicide:

I have to be honest, I am not sure how the game was as close as it was. At one point I actually thought we were going to come back and win, and then....another kick off return.

This isn’t taking anything away from the Pats but for some reason I barely remember the second Super Bowl with the Giants. You would think with that rematch it would have been one of the most anticipated Super Bowl rematches ever but I barely remember a thing. I swear the 07 season Patriots having leading to that Super Bowl I remember everything about it. But the second one was just kind of meh. I remember expecting the Pats to win but after the outcome it just seems a distant memory. I almost forget Eli has won 2 Super Bowls. The Falcons Patriots was one of the best comebacks I’ve ever seen. I’m sure Falcons fans will never forget that as long as they live. Poor bastards lol.

That 2003 Super Bowl was tainted by cheating...
With enough Carolina Panther steroids to kill a water buffalo.
Even the punter was juiced like Universal Soldier.

2011 was Weatherford pinning them at the 4, the 6 (before the safety), and the 8.
That guy had the game of his life. (after 12 punts and 2 Kyle Williams specials in the NFCCG)
Its also weird looking at highlights of that game with Hernandez on the field.

This isn’t taking anything away from the Pats but for some reason I barely remember the second Super Bowl with the Giants. You would think with that rematch it would have been one of the most anticipated Super Bowl rematches ever but I barely remember a thing. I swear the 07 season Patriots having leading to that Super Bowl I remember everything about it. But the second one was just kind of meh. I remember expecting the Pats to win but after the outcome it just seems a distant memory. I almost forget Eli has won 2 Super Bowls. The Falcons Patriots was one of the best comebacks I’ve ever seen. I’m sure Falcons fans will never forget that as long as they live. Poor bastards lol.

I really had no idea the pats were going to make the superbowl in 2011, the defense was really struggling, and the team was hanging on, how we made it that year I don't know.

I watched all of them.

The perfect year...sans the superbowl was the worst one. Easily. Fuck...

Also, the Pats/Rams started a great trend!

Last year sucked ass...but, The 28-3 game might have been my favorite victory ever (so far anyway).

I really had no idea the pats were going to make the superbowl in 2011, the defense was really struggling, and the team was hanging on, how we made it that year I don't know.

Ya I don’t remember that season much. Was a train wreck for the Colts so mentally I checked out. I didn’t know much about the Giants or Pats that year. Forgettable season. Even giants fan don’t realize they won it that year lol.

The Super Bowl against the Packers I have watched it but at the time I was 11. Didn’t really like football then. Was still an entertaining game. I liked the jerseys back then lol.

The loss to the Bears was tough but expected. Our Super Bowl was beating the Dolphins in Miami 31-14. Always despised and still despise them. And Shula. Towards the end of the game all we were cheering for was for Walter Payton to get a TD. Dikta the jerk gave it to the Fridge. Sad! I always believed that the Coke wanted The Fridge to score since he was doing ads for New Coke. Just a minor conspiracy theory. Still don't like Dikta to this day because of that. Walter deserved it.

That wasn't their best D but they were 13-3. Blew out the Broncos with Tebow, lol. That was big because they had lost 3 straight playoff games. Super Bowl 42, to the Ravens in 09-bad, and the Jets (shudder) in 2010. Then that crazy Ravens title game with the the near TD knocked away and the the shanked field goal. One of the loudest sports screams I ever had. Who can forget that. Cundiff shanks a close field goal. Everybody remember where you were? I always believed that 2010 14-2 team was one of their best.

Back