Adrian Gonzalez Traded to Red Sox

TITAN126

I love the inter-highway
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/mlb/news/story?id=5882356
The Boston Red Sox have agreed to a deal in principle to acquire slugging first baseman Adrian Gonzalez, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney on Saturday morning.

The Red Sox have received permission from Major League Baseball to negotiate with Gonzalez on a new contract, the sources said, and Gonzalez's physical examination, one of the last hurdles to the deal, could happen Saturday, as Gonzalez was in Boston after being flown in by the team.

The Padres would not receive any established major league players in the trade, but it's likely the Red Sox would include their top pitching prospect, Casey Kelly, sources have said. Red Sox prospects Anthony Rizzo and Ryan Kalish also have been brought up as possible pieces, sources said.

Sources told Olney it's very possible the Gonzalez deal would mean the end of Adrian Beltre's time with the Red Sox, because although Kevin Youkilis could move to left field, Boston's preference probably would be to shift Youkilis to third base.

Gonzalez is the Padres' most popular player with great crossover appeal to the team's Mexican-American market, a native son who carried San Diego to within a game of a playoff spot in 2010.

He is signed through 2011 at $6.3 million. The Padres exercised his 2011 option Nov. 1. His contract called for a $5.5 million salary, but performance bonuses pushed the figure above $6 million.

Acquiring Gonzalez, while signing one of two free-agent outfielders, Carl Crawford or Jayson Werth, would give the Red Sox their most potent offensive lineup since the Manny Ramirez trade to the Dodgers in 2008 and make clear why they were willing to lose free agents Victor Martinez and potentially Beltre.

The Red Sox have long coveted the 28-year-old Gonzalez. As far back as the 2009 trading deadline, the Red Sox made a pitch for Gonzalez, a three-time All-Star who last season finished fourth in balloting for the National League's Most Valuable Player.

The 6-foot-2, 225-pound left-handed hitter batted .298 with 31 home runs and 101 RBIs for the Padres last season. He finished fifth in the National League in on-base percentage (.393), ninth in slugging (.511) and led the league in hitting with runners in scoring position (.407).

Opposing pitchers issued 35 intentional walks to Gonzalez last season, a number exceeded only by Albert Pujols.

In addition to his offensive prowess, Gonzalez is a gifted defender, having won two Gold Gloves in five full seasons.
Epic. :toast:

:dbanana: :dbanana:

Great news to come back to while making my way through three term paper projects (ugh).

fakin a baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now all we need is Cliff Lee,Carl Crawford,Jason Worth and rid that broke dick right fielder of ours..:coffee:

Heres a thought why not sign Beltre and move Youk out to left field? I'm thinking we can get Beltre cheaper than Werth,and then sign Crawford. Put Crawford in Center and Ells in Right. Trade or bench JD...........

EDIT if we also stole Lee and did the above we would win multiple WS... just sayin..:coffee:

This is the kind of move this team needs to make...The Sox are one of the big boys, act like one of the big boys..

fakin a baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now all we need is Cliff Lee,Carl Crawford,Jason Worth and rid that broke dick right fielder of ours..:coffee:

i want nothing to do with Jason Werth. He's one season away from being terrible.

i want nothing to do with Jason Werth. He's one season away from being terrible.
What does that even mean?

I think he's had trouble with injuries in the past but he's been healthy the last 2+ and made the most of it and he's great defensively. The ability has always been there

What does that even mean?

I think he's had trouble with injuries in the past but he's been healthy the last 2+ and made the most of it and he's great defensively. The ability has always been there

it seems like a lot of players have these seasons where they look unreal, then one season they look so-so, then they blow.

JD Drew comes to mind. I see Werth being the next JD Drew.

Heres a thought why not sign Beltre and move Youk out to left field? I'm thinking we can get Beltre cheaper than Werth,and then sign Crawford. Put Crawford in Center and Ells in Right. Trade or bench JD...........

EDIT if we also stole Lee and did the above we would win multiple WS... just sayin..:coffee:

I think the picks they're getting for losing Beltre are more important to them if this trade goes through.

i also think Werth's stats are a little inflated due to the small philly field

I think the picks they're getting for losing Beltre are more important to them if this trade goes through.
I want World Series not picks...Picks are good for poor teams mostly...WE have the money to buy high priced players... Granted it doesn't always get you one,but your always in the mix..IE Yankmees...

I want World Series not picks...Picks are good for poor teams mostly...WE have the money to buy high priced players... Granted it doesn't always get you one,but your always in the mix..IE Yankmees...
They were able to get Agon because of their farm system and their money(if it goes through). They have to replenish the farm system, not sign Beltre because they can and shove a GG infielder into the outfield for the sake of offense. That's what I mean. The Sox are in much better shape for the short and long term than the Yankees are. Not to mention this is a very deep draft this year so picks are more valuable than most other years.

Per posters on SOSH, the Red Sox are giving the Padres SP Casey Kelly, 1B Anthony Rizzo, and CF Reymond Fuentes plus a player to be named later who is not thought to be consequential.

This looks like a good deal for the Sox as they got SP Armando Reynaudo in the last draft which should replace Kelly, Rizzo is now blocked by Gonzalez and they have several other CF prospects, and I was never comfortable with Fuentes' lack of reported arm strength when he was drafted. With Beltre now looking to be leaving they will recoup a couple of high picks as well as jilting Scott Boras.

I'm not thrilled at moving Youkilis back to 3B since we'll have to see how good his defense is since he is older and not played the position for a while, but this will be a huge boost to the offense.

I'd love to see them add Carl Crawford as a FA too, and that is still quite possible.

Another benefit to consider is that the Sox were looking at some tough decisions regarding the 40-man roster and this buys them a bit of room to keep from losing someone else they would prefer not to.

If that's the final package then I love the deal. The only prospect that makes me wince slightly is Kelly, but to get AGon.. can't complain about that.

Sweet, now go get Crawford and this'll be a damn good team.

C: Salty
DH: Papi
1B: Gonzo
2B: Pedroia
SS: Lowrie/Scutarro
3B: Youk
LF: Crawford
CF: Cameron/Ellsbury
RF: Drew/Ellsbury

Yeah, I'm down.

SS could still be addressed, JJ Hardy would probably be an upgrade and supposedly the Twins are concerned about rising payroll and might be willing to let him go for a little.

If JD Drew could have another contract year and Papi could continue what he had going, this'll be a damn scary team.

I'm not thrilled at moving Youkilis back to 3B since we'll have to see how good his defense is since he is older and not played the position for a while...

I'm pretty comfortable with it. In some ways 3r is very comparable to1st as a favorable place for old folks to hang out. In general, speed goes well before quickness and 3rd is ALL about quickness. In fact, you gotta cover more ground at 1st at times. Lowell was still pretty good at 35 (justok last year at 36. Brooks was still quiick as a cat at 40. Lots of good 3rd base guys have played at high levels well into their 30's.

I think it rocks actually.

But we'll need to see, won' we?

Cheers

SS could still be addressed, JJ Hardy would probably be an upgrade and supposedly the Twins are concerned about rising payroll and might be willing to let him go for a little.
I wouldn't count on anything happening at SS. The plan looks like Scutaro through 2011 then Iglesias will be ready to take over. I'm fine with Scut anyway, he's smart, tough and gives everything he has every game. I wasn't that thrilled when they got him but he's grown on me.

Back