Another Coach Fired!

ron1625

Reaction score
Chargers fire Cottrell, name Rivera new defensive coordinator
The San Diego Chargers fired defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell on Tuesday and elevated inside linebackers coach Ron Rivera to the position.<O:p</O:p
Cottrell's dismissal comes two days after the Chargers lost to Drew Brees and the New Orleans Saints, 37-32, in London. Brees threw for 341 yards and three touchdowns. The Chargers have the worst pass defense in the NFL and rank 28th overall.<O:p</O:p

"Hey, listen, what we're trying to do is to put our guys in the best position to make plays, and it comes down to our players making plays," said Turner, deflecting blame away from Cottrell. "It's never just about one guy.<O:p</O:p

"Everyone has to do their job. Ultimately, I have to make a decision in order for us to go where we want to go."<O:p</O:p
The Chargers have lost three of four after entering the season as a Super Bowl favorite. The move was made now, Turner said, because the Chargers are entering their bye week.<O:p</O:p
Rivera is in his second season in San Diego after spending the previous three seasons (2004-06) as the defensive coordinator of the Chicago Bears. In 2006, the Bears finished fifth in overall defense, third in scoring defense and led the NFL with 44 takeaways on their way to appearing in Super Bowl XLI.<O:p</O:p
Rivera interviewed for the head coaching job that went to Norv Turner in March 2007.<O:p</O:p
Turner hired Cottrell as his defensive coordinator shortly after Turner was hired by the Chargers in 2007.

I guess if your not winning games then you have to fear for your job this season, I cant remember hearing of many coaches being sacked Mid Season, is this the norm or is there more dismissals this season?<O:p</O:p

He HAD to go. Horrible scheming cannot be covered by third string linebackers. BOU is relieved even if it sets us back temporarily. It's our bye so we've got some extra time to adjust.

I think it's sort of weak to dump a defensive coordinator and spare the HC. Ultimately, the schemes are Norv's responsibility.

I think it's sort of weak to dump a defensive coordinator and spare the HC. Ultimately, the schemes are Norv's responsibility.

It varies from team to team. Norv is not heavily involved on the defensive side of the ball to say the least. Also, jettisoning your DC when you have Ron Rivera already in your system is a fundamentally sounder decision than dumping your HC mid-season.

In his defense I believe he has the youngest team in the NFL

How many years has he been there now and what has his record been though? I just don't get the guy. Could be I am completely misunderstanding his worth but I felt the same way when he was with the jets.

How young are the Titans? Take the outliers like Collins out.:)

I'm so jealous...I so wish clark had balls enough to clean house....:banghead:

BOU

I know it's hard to change mid-stream, but do you see Rivera mixing in some 4-3 to try and take some pressure off the LB corps? I know he's not a 3-4 guy per se. I also wouldn't be suprised if he also tries to throw in a 46 look or two, just to keep people guessing.

How many years has he been there now and what has his record been though? I just don't get the guy. Could be I am completely misunderstanding his worth but I felt the same way when he was with the jets.

How young are the Titans? Take the outliers like Collins out.:)

oh I am just talking about this year lol :p I dont really follow him enough to know about his past :)

SD will Stay a 3-4 defense but alot more agressive a la Buddy Ryan and Jimmy Johnson (PHL) defense's we will see we got KC at home on November 9th...

RiViera said yesterday that some of B.Ryan defense were 3-4 base... that suprise me... i do love the 46 defense :toast:

yes but you have the have the people to still run it if you want to be effective. I believe it will get worse for you guys unfortunately

yes but you have the have the people to still run it if you want to be effective. I believe it will get worse for you guys unfortunately

i think we got the horses on Defense... the key is Jammal Williams if the knees can hold on... we have very good dept at LB and 3 good corner... we need to get pressure on the QB and get off the field... our DL are OK Castillo and Olshansky... as notice i didn't mention our safety...:banghead:

would play man to man and no more zone...

I am not say Ron is a bad coach perse; but if he goes in there installing new schemes that these guys have never seen before it will be a disaster mid way in the year. It takes a long long time to change defensive base schemes.

I am not say Ron is a bad coach perse; but if he goes in there installing new schemes that these guys have never seen before it will be a disaster mid way in the year. It takes a long long time to change defensive base schemes.

i know just going back to what DC Philips was doing 2 yrs ago would be an improvement

i know just going back to what DC Philips was doing 2 yrs ago would be an improvement

From what you are saying is zone d is killing you guys right now; well the 3-4 is alot of zone coverage with the blitzing ;)

BOU

I know it's hard to change mid-stream, but do you see Rivera mixing in some 4-3 to try and take some pressure off the LB corps? I know he's not a 3-4 guy per se. I also wouldn't be suprised if he also tries to throw in a 46 look or two, just to keep people guessing.

Actually, we've already been mixing in some 4-3 looks. The real problem is JW in the middle just hasn't made it back to form and he is the key to that D. He collapses the pocket enough to prevent QB's from stepping forward to evade our edge rush.

Rivera will likely stick largely with the 3-4, but he will absoultely change the intensity and focus of the D. Even blitzing out of a 3-4, we have the secondary to play man coverage all day long. Expect Rivera to run lopsided blitzes and to use his lb's much more agressively. We might get exposed for a big play here or there, but BOU expects the entire personality of the defense to shift dramatically based on a more aggressive approach.

It should be interesting to watch.

Back