Another positive, upbeat, unselfish and entertaining Branch interview

I understand what you are saying, except

1) I have posted this information before.

2) You and grog are a little overboard in your treatment of Branch even in light of what you know about the situation. Branch's kid was public knowledge, as was the rookie contract dispute. The only that that isn't "public" knowledge (though I know I saw it somewhere at the time) is the 11th hour offer. Branch isn't a Law-esque douche, he was a kid staring at a mountain of endless medical bills who had earned next to nothing at that point in his career and had already lost parts of multiple seasons to injury. He genuinely need to the money and couldn't risk another season to get it.

You guys are looking at things as fans, which is perfectly normal. But you need to pretend it is your kid, your career.

It really doesn't matter a whole heck of a lot. Bottom line is I think the Pats offered him a reasonable deal within the parameters they run their business. Branch chose not to honor a signed contract.

The whole thing with the kid and medical is very sad, blah, blah, blah. But people like you and me who make a mere pittance have to deal with those things too, so that arguement rings hollow when defending his actions in my book. He made more and probably had better insurance than most of us can ever dream of having.

I firmly believe that if you sign your name to contract, you need to honor that contract. I don't think what he did is any different to what Revis has done and may do again to the Jets. I can't distinguish a difference.

I am glad he is back because Brady and Branch have, or at least had, some good chemistry. I am not convinced that chemistry, or Branch's ability to execute those plays, is still there though. I think he should be on the bubble this year and we'll see if he can win the job in camp.

Anyway, it is all water under the bridge. You can continue to look at Branch as the victim if you want. I look at him as the protaganist that learned a lesson, yet still got his pay day.

I firmly believe that if you sign your name to contract, you need to honor that contract. I don't think what he did is any different to what Revis has done and may do again to the Jets. I can't distinguish a difference.

That is the problem then, because the differences are staggering.

Revis - paid a significant amount of money and then holds out once the salary appears low due to the amortized bonuses. No disabled kids that I am aware of.

Branch - forced into a signing a new contract after already agreeing to a totally different one. Team doesn't offer tear up that final year, something they had done in the recent extensions to Seymour and Brady. Made less in his entire contract that Revis made in the first two years of his deal, took twice as long to hold out as Revis did (Darelle is now holding out twice before Deion held out for the first time, even after pocketing over 5X what Branch earned).

I also think this type of statement is terribly naive.

I firmly believe that if you sign your name to contract, you need to honor that contract.

Perhaps it is my interest in the music industry that colors me differently. I've read about countless acts being raked over the coals in their initial contracts. Bands with loads of commercial success who you'd expect to be rolling in the dough who have to tour 250 days out of the year just to make ends meet.

NE took advantage of Branch when he had no recourse. Branch just asked they to return the favor when he had a little more leverage. If you are being sincere, you should harbor at least as much animosity towards the FO for tacking that extra year on as you do Branch for trying to have it taken off. Not only was it a display of business ramroding a rookie, but Branch would almost certainly have been a Patriot in 2006 had they not done that.

Ok Oswelk, read through some of these threads to see WHAT WAS ACTUALLY reported. I did and it reminded me of the situation much more clearly. Branch was a d-bag at the time. He was offered a contract by the Pats that would have averaged close to the Franchise Tag for WRs at the time. Give me a frigin break.

http://www.patriotsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=17260&highlight=branch – read this thread. It seems to spell out the entire sequence of events as I remember it. Branch wanting huge money.and the Pats offering it: “The truth is, Chayut is railing about an offer that would average close to $6 million per season. That's about the same as this year's franchise number for receivers (somebody exploit me like that).”

http://www.patriotsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=16922&highlight=branch Jerry Rice chimes in and says Branch should honor his contract

http://www.patriotsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=16104&highlight=branch “Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports the New England Patriots have been working to sign WR Deion Branch to a long-term extension before he is scheduled to hit the free-agent market after this season. The Patriots are highly confident that, unlike some of the players that got away this offseason, Branch will not be allowed to go anywhere.”

http://www.patriotsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=17042&highlight=branch – quotes article saying Branch wants Reggie Wayne money, but he had about half the catches and yards that Wayne produced

http://www.patriotsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=17225&highlight=branch –thread discusses length of contract terms. When Branch signed, 5 and 6 year deals were the norm. The rule was changed during that first contract which made Branch feel cheated.

I'm aware of all of that, grog. You are missing a couple points, though.

1) NE's initial offer to Branch didn't include any guaranteed money until after the 2006 season. I've already said in this thread that it wasn't about the total contract value it was about that first year.

I have little doubt that NE would have offered to tear up that first year (in fact, I know that they did...) but Branch and Chayut were so pissed about it that they pretty much walked away right then and there.

2) 5-6 year deals were normal, but that doesn't address the crux of the issue, that NE and Chayut had agreed on the terms of the 4 year deal. They had a handshake deal on 4 years, then put a 5 year deal in front of Branch when he came in to sign it. The fact that 5 years isn't unusual does nothing to absolve NE from that dirty tactic.

BTW, I'm not absolving Branch entirely in that mess. If that year was so important to him, he should have made it clearer early on. And if he didn't he shouldn't have been all the surprised when NE's initial offer didn't address it. Had he stayed at the negotiating table, he could have gotten that first year taken care of, or at least some guarantees that might not be paid immediately but were still guaranteed.

He definitely overreacted, and the complaint was a cheap shot. But NE was at least as responsible for it, which is why I'm defending him from those who want to pin all the blame on him.

BTW, I'm not absolving Branch entirely in that mess. If that year was so important to him, he should have made it clearer early on. And if he didn't he shouldn't have been all the surprised when NE's initial offer didn't address it. Had he stayed at the negotiating table, he could have gotten that first year taken care of, or at least some guarantees that might not be paid immediately but were still guaranteed.

He definitely overreacted, and the complaint was a cheap shot. But NE was at least as responsible for it, which is why I'm defending him from those who want to pin all the blame on him.

Well as far as who to blame, I look at it like this.....the team knows what is best for the team way more than a player does. Players are not concerned about the cap, nor if you are going to be able to field a team, they are concerned about one contract and it is theirs....the team has to be worried about 53 contracts....so in most cases, I am going to side with the team, because that comes first over any player.

Well as far as who to blame, I look at it like this.....the team knows what is best for the team way more than a player does. Players are not concerned about the cap, nor if you are going to be able to field a team, they are concerned about one contract and it is theirs....the team has to be worried about 53 contracts....so in most cases, I am going to side with the team, because that comes first over any player.

I think (not 100% sure) it was Cris Carter that said when he talked to his team owner it was only about two things. Me & my money.

I think (not 100% sure) it was Cris Carter that said when he talked to his team owner it was only about two things. Me & my money.

and, I am not saying they are wrong, but people have to understand that when teams offer a contract, they are trying to get a player for as cheap as they can because they are building a team with limitations.....now with that said, some players make this difficult because they have a talent that other players do not, so the more talented the player is, the higher that money will be, or how hard they are to replace the money will be more....Branch...sorry I love the guy, but he could be replaced pretty easy....and thus the team did not think he was worth what Seattle would pay him...and as it worked out, they were right.

Perhaps, but this has nothing at all to do with this situation. The FO didn't do what they thought was best for the team, they did the best they could with a situation that had spun out of control. Based on their actions, signing Deion to an extension - even a very expensive extension - was actually what they thought was best.

And NE did that for every contract they could. It is how they built that team. Don't overpay for anyway. Get tream friendly contracts. Avoid huge cap hits on super stars.

I can't wait for the season to start. This stuff is just time filler anyway. It is what it is. Need some X's and O's to talk about...

And NE did that for every contract they could. It is how they built that team. Don't overpay for anyway. Get tream friendly contracts. Avoid huge cap hits on super stars.

I can't wait for the season to start. This stuff is just time filler anyway. It is what it is. Need some X's and O's to talk about...

Every company starts a negotiation off low, but not every company strongarms their first time employee into a contract different than they initially agreed to. To my knowledge, the Patriots didn't do that to everyone either, so Deion was in a unique situation, even as far as NFL players go.

Perhaps, but this has nothing at all to do with this situation. The FO didn't do what they thought was best for the team, they did the best they could with a situation that had spun out of control. Based on their actions, signing Deion to an extension - even a very expensive extension - was actually what they thought was best.

You could be right O....as I said, I like most people read all the stories both from the media and what was on here, if there was some totally other thing that was going on, then I would have to step back and rearrange my thought on it.

For grins a giggles I googled the Pats firsts contract with Branch to see if there is any info on the extra year, second shot theory for his first contract. Bottom line is I think his agent screwed him over more than the team in the negotiations, but I found nothing about the allegation that the Pats added an extra year to a handshake deal. Not saying it didn't happen, but it is a pretty obscure fact if it did.

Here is all I found:

Following the 2005 season, Branch entered the final year of his five-year rookie contract signed in 2002, with his base salary scheduled to be $1.045 million in 2006. In May 2006, the Patriots offered Branch a three-year contract extension through 2009. The offer had a $4 million signing bonus and $4 million option bonus. In base salaries, he would have received $1.4 million in 2007, $4.3 million in 2008, and $4.75 million in 2009.

Branch during his tenure with the Seattle SeahawksIt was the last formal contract discussion between the two sides, leading Branch to hold out of the team's mandatory June minicamp, training camp, and the preseason.

On August 25, 2006, the Patriots announced that Branch was given permission to seek a trade and negotiate a contract with other teams through September 1, 2006. Both the Seattle Seahawks and New York Jets made trade offers to the Patriots, but neither trade was consummated before the September 1 deadline. After the deadline passed, Branch filed two grievances against the Patriots with the NFL claiming the Patriots did not bargain in good faith and did not trade him after being offered a second-round selection by another team.

Branch remained on the team's Reserve/Did Not Report list through the first week of the regular season. By not reporting, Branch was fined over $600,000 by the Patriots.

On September 11, 2006, the Patriots traded Branch to the Seahawks for a first-round selection in the 2007 NFL Draft. Branch subsequently signed a six-year, $39 million contract extension with the Seahawks.

On the same day as the trade, the Patriots filed tampering charges against the Jets, claiming that the Jets revealed the Patriots' trade proposal to Branch in the process of their contract negotiations, compromising the Patriots' negotiating position. In February 2007, the NFL cleared the Jets of the tampering charges.

I think he should be on the bubble this year and we'll see if he can win the job in camp.

Just silly. There is no bigger lock to make the opening day roster in the receiving corps than Deion Branch. Welker gets traded or Lloyd gets cut before Deion Branch gets cut.

This ridiculous "on the bubble" nonsense, is a messageboard/blogging creation, and not based in reality.

Just silly. There is no bigger lock to make the opening day roster in the receiving corps than Deion Branch. Welker gets traded or Lloyd gets cut before Deion Branch gets cut.

This ridiculous "on the bubble" nonsense, is a messageboard/blogging creation, and not based in reality.

Please. I know you've been Patriot fan for quite awhile? You really don't think they'd cut a guy like Branch. ROFL They do it every year for crying out loud. Give me a friggin break. :facepalm:

Deion Branch: Deion Branch 'continues to be unimpressive' Deion Branch - WR - NE - May. 31 - 4:57 pm et
Deion Branch "continues to be unimpressive" in OTAs, relays Greg Bedard of the Boston Globe.
"The guy catches everything but his burst is diminishing," adds Bedard. If not for Branch's mind-meld rapport with Tom Brady, it's unlikely he would have been re-signed after fading drastically down the stretch last season. Jabar Gaffney, spending most of his practice time behind Wes Welker in the slot, could begin eating into Branch's reps. May. 31 - 4:57 pm et

Please. I know you've been Patriot fan for quite awhile? You really don't think they'd cut a guy like Branch. ROFL They do it every year for crying out loud. Give me a friggin break. :facepalm:

"Deion Branch is unimpressive". That's like the 12th "Deion Branch is unimpressive" article that's been written about Deion Branch since he got here.

Remember last year's "he has no catches in the preseason, clearly he's gonna get cut" bullshit?

Don't you remember that?

All he did was catch 50 more last year and had a better year than the #1 WR on the Jets.

Again. This time as the #4 receiving option on the team.

To repeat - the #4 receiving option on the team.

So I'll repeat, despite everyone wanting Deion Branch to get run out of town over something they're personally butt-hurt over from 6 years ago that really wasn't Branch's fault - and the fact that all that he does is show up game-in and game-out and do exactly what the coaching staff tells him to do in every ****ing game he's in -

He's going to be here next year. All year. He is the least likely receiver to NOT be on the team next year, except maybe for Gronk.

You can want him gone, the bloggers can all want him gone...but he's not going anywhere. He's a bargain at twice the price.

Also to your direct question, no, they do not routinely cut "guys just like Deion Branch every year". They don't cut cheap, productive veteran leaders who are just happy to be here.

They cut Meriweathers and Maroneys who don't get it and make too much money commensurate with their production.

Branch is cheap, a proven leader, gets the system, is tremendous with the media, and produces. Why the hell would you cut someone like that?

Totally agree. If history has dictated anything its that Belichick will do anything to win. Branch is a class act and someone who seems to fit into the system perfectly, but if they think they can do better without him than he's gone.

"Deion Branch is unimpressive". That's like the 12th "Deion Branch is unimpressive" article that's been written about Deion Branch since he got here.

Remember last year's "he has no catches in the preseason, clearly he's gonna get cut" bullshit?

Don't you remember that?

All he did was catch 50 more last year and had a better year than the #1 WR on the Jets.

Again. This time as the #4 receiving option on the team.

To repeat - the #4 receiving option on the team.

So I'll repeat, despite everyone wanting Deion Branch to get run out of town over something they're personally butt-hurt over from 6 years ago that really wasn't Branch's fault - and the fact that all that he does is show up game-in and game-out and do exactly what the coaching staff tells him to do in every ****ing game he's in -

He's going to be here next year. All year. He is the least likely receiver to NOT be on the team next year, except maybe for Gronk.

You can want him gone, the bloggers can all want him gone...but he's not going anywhere. He's a bargain at twice the price.

Also to your direct question, no, they do not routinely cut "guys just like Deion Branch every year". They don't cut cheap, productive veteran leaders who are just happy to be here.

They cut Meriweathers and Maroneys who don't get it and make too much money commensurate with their production.

Branch is cheap, a proven leader, gets the system, is tremendous with the media, and produces. Why the hell would you cut someone like that?

"All he did was catch 50 more last year and had a better year than the #1 WR on the Jets."

I wonder how many catches Branch would have had on the Jets?:coffee:

Totally agree. If history has dictated anything its that Belichick will do anything to win. Branch is a class act and someone who seems to fit into the system perfectly, but if they think they can do better without him than he's gone.

But they can't. That's why he'll still be here come opening weekend. That's my point. The "Deion Branch Sucks" crew is simply wrong.

Back