Any owners of the 2011 Buick Regal - I need an opinion

bsaeagle64

Reaction score
My 2002 Buick Century is slowly costing me more and more repair $$. I will most probably purchase a new car in August once the 2012s arrive and the dealers need to get their 2011 inventory off the lot. I'm considering a 2011 Buick Regal. Most of the reviews I have read are positive. If anyone here owns or has a relative that ownes a new Buick Regal, any input, positive or negative, would be greatly appreciated.

Buick also just announced at the Detriot Auto Show that a Buick Verano will come out in 2012 which I will consider, but that vehicle is not due out until next auto season.

Isn't there a rule that you have to be at least 70 yrs old to drive a Buick?
Posted via Mobile Device

Does your Century have the 3100 v6 in it? Replaced the lower intake manifold gasket yet? Wheel hubs due to bad bearings? I had a Malibu which was similar and had those two problems.

Get a Pontiac G8 instead.... oh wait, GM's incompetent and got rid of it.

If I was to get a new car, I probably would eb getting a Honda Accord. My Grandma just bought a new used one (09) and they are nice.

If I was to get a new car, I probably would eb getting a Honda Accord. My Grandma just bought a new used one (09) and they are nice.

My daughter and her husband both own a Honda Accord and my mom just bought a Honda Civic. All three of them rave about the Honda. I will most probably compare the pros and cons of the Buick Regal and the Honda Accord then make a decision.

BTW, answering you prior questions -
I have replaced the gasket but not the wheel hubs, yet. I have also replaced my A/C compressor, my ABS brake system is not working anymore but i do have complete braking capabilities, my windshield wipers don't work on the delay anymore and I have no more lights on my radio/cd or my heat/a/c control panel.

My car has 137K miles but, as I mentioned in my origional post, I hope to make it last until August when the 2012s come out, then get a good deal on a 2011.

Considering all the problems, maybe it just won't last until August. :mad:

My daughter and her husband both own a Honda Accord and my mom just bought a Honda Civic. All three of them rave about the Honda. I will most probably compare the pros and cons of the Buick Regal and the Honda Accord then make a decision.

BTW, answering you prior questions -
I have replaced the gasket but not the wheel hubs, yet. I have also replaced my A/C compressor, my ABS brake system is not working anymore but i do have complete braking capabilities, my windshield wipers don't work on the delay anymore and I have no more lights on my radio/cd or my heat/a/c control panel.

My car has 137K miles but, as I mentioned in my origional post, I hope to make it last until August when the 2012s come out, then get a good deal on a 2011.

Considering all the problems, maybe it just won't last until August. :mad:

Your ABS not working might not be working due to bad ABS sensor, which is part of the wheel hub. My A/C stuff worked except the A/C button would go off and on when I got rid of it. That was about the extent of things not working on mine beside the gasket when I sold it.

My 2002 Buick Century is slowly costing me more and more repair $$. I will most probably purchase a new car in August once the 2012s arrive and the dealers need to get their 2011 inventory off the lot. I'm considering a 2011 Buick Regal. Most of the reviews I have read are positive. If anyone here owns or has a relative that ownes a new Buick Regal, any input, positive or negative, would be greatly appreciated.

Buick also just announced at the Detriot Auto Show that a Buick Verano will come out in 2012 which I will consider, but that vehicle is not due out until next auto season.

So your 9 year old car is a lemon and costing you too much to repair, so you're going to buy a brand new one of the same model?

Good luck with that....:banghead:

I will say that I had almost the same platform of his car and it was terrible. It seems that generation of Chevy vehicles sucked. The newer ones don't seem to have as many problems. It was around the time those vehicles were sold that Chevy and Ford seemed to make crappy cars (See Chevy Malibu's and Ford Taurus' and Mercury Sable's on car survey.org to see what I mean). Once Chevy realized they were losing customers, they started making better vehicles. The 3100/3400 engines were known for lower intake manifold gasket's going bad, head gasket's going. My Malibu was known for wheel hubs (which contained wheel bearings and abs sensors) going bad, brakes needing replaced every 6 months sometimes (I had upgraded the brake parts and replaced calipers on mine to fix this), plus many other problems.

My Jeep has almost 165k miles and to my knowledge (knocking on wood) it only has had the battery replaced (there has been more things, but nothing major) and the battery was just recent. Many vehicles from Chevy and Ford had known defects from the 90's (or earlier) to around 2003 when they realized people were leaving those brands for Toyota and other brands.

I have seen many Toyotas go over 300k miles without major problems while many Chevy's and Fords don't make it that long.

Now, don't get me wrong, some of the problems are not car related, but are owners not maintaining it related, but lower intake manifold gasket's (as in the OP and my case) are not something that can be helped (it was the dex cool anti freeze eating away at the gasket). The dex cool coolant was part of a class action law suit and GM agreed to pay for repairs (or a percentage depending on when the repair was done), but for me, I didn't have proof for the first time and I would have got very little money anyway.

So your 9 year old car is a lemon and costing you too much to repair, so you're going to buy a brand new one of the same model?

Good luck with that....:banghead:

I don't consider a car with 136+K miles on it and almost 10 years old (this August it will be) a lemon, and the repairs have only really begun within the past 6 months. I have owned 3 Buicks in my day and have driven each one over 130K and owned each one to almost the 10 year mark. I think I've had great luck with the Buick product over the years. Buick's new Regal is very highly rated and the Buick Verano coming out in 2012 got rave reviews at the recent Detroit Auto Show.

I want to thank Coltsfan2theend for his discussion about the problems I've had recently.

I guy I work with has a 2003 Regal, and it has 280K miles on it. And runs very good.
I myself have a 2003 Impala, same platform, 125K miles, and I have no plans whatsoever to sell it. My only major problem has been recently replacing the catalytic converter. Other than that, maintenance. I had the heater core replaced under warranty when it was still fairly new. That car is a jewel, super dependable, 30 MPG, and no car payment.

Secret to longevity is "do the recommended maintenance". and don't think you're cleverly saving a few bucks by not changing the transmission fluid, etc.

Just bought the Buick Lacrosse CXS last week. Traded in a 2003 BMW 745LI with 108k miles. As soon as it hit 100k, as if a time bomb went off. Leaks, electronic malfunctions, spark plugs $500, change front light $500. Quoted $9 grand in ticky tack repairs for a car valued at $11k.
I chose the Lacrosse because:
1) spacious back seat...has become the executive vehicle for businessmen with drivers in China.
2) The interior design is impressive, stylish. More attractive than BMW
3)Quiet ride
4) Full electronics, Nav, 650 Watt system, blind side mirror warning, rear camera, keyless, blutooth, onstar, XM,
5)chrome 19" wheels

With the 3.6 engine, only 30 HP less than the 745LI, suspension is not equal, but I drive straight flat roads in Florida. My only turns are at lights.
Bottom line $60 grand cheaper for a car with more features and comfort. The extended warranty cost $1900 for 5 yrs/100k miles.

Mileage sucks, 22 combined but I get to use cheaper grade of unleaded.

Just bought the Buick Lacrosse CXS last week. Traded in a 2003 BMW 745LI with 108k miles. As soon as it hit 100k, as if a time bomb went off. Leaks, electronic malfunctions, spark plugs $500, change front light $500. Quoted $9 grand in ticky tack repairs for a car valued at $11k.
I chose the Lacrosse because:
1) spacious back seat...has become the executive vehicle for businessmen with drivers in China.
2) The interior design is impressive, stylish. More attractive than BMW
3)Quiet ride
4) Full electronics, Nav, 650 Watt system, blind side mirror warning, rear camera, keyless, blutooth, onstar, XM,
5)chrome 19" wheels

With the 3.6 engine, only 30 HP less than the 745LI, suspension is not equal, but I drive straight flat roads in Florida. My only turns are at lights.
Bottom line $60 grand cheaper for a car with more features and comfort. The extended warranty cost $1900 for 5 yrs/100k miles.

Mileage sucks, 22 combined but I get to use cheaper grade of unleaded.

I have much love for a 745. How was it on repairs? My son is a master BMW technician so someday I want one... let him fix it for me.....

I have much love for a 745. How was it on repairs? My son is a master BMW technician so someday I want one... let him fix it for me.....

The BMW was a beautiful machine. I was driving it in West Virginia in the Appalachians, UP a mountain hwy, hit 140 MPH ...figured no cop would be looking for speeders up hill.
At 70k miles, steering column leak...$2k, Brakes every 40k...$800-900. New tires every 20k...$1400. Oil leaks in various places, $4k. To change headlight, must remove front end...$500...passenger window motor...$900. Oil change $180...every 15k miles. Plugs service $500. Note, all repair done at BMW dealership and I put 20k miles/ year last few years.

Bottom line, don't own a used BMW without extended warranty...costs are triple for repairs compared to my Lincoln Navigator

The BMW was a beautiful machine. I was driving it in West Virginia in the Appalachians, UP a mountain hwy, hit 140 MPH ...figured no cop would be looking for speeders up hill.
At 70k miles, steering column leak...$2k, Brakes every 40k...$800-900. New tires every 20k...$1400. Oil leaks in various places, $4k. To change headlight, must remove front end...$500...passenger window motor...$900. Oil change $180...every 15k miles. Plugs service $500. Note, all repair done at BMW dealership and I put 20k miles/ year last few years.

Bottom line, don't own a used BMW without extended warranty...costs are triple for repairs compared to my Lincoln Navigator

Kinda not surprised, I hear stories like that quite a bit... strategy would be to buy certified preowned and unload at 100K when the warranty is up.
Expensive to maintain and repair but one hell of a fun car to drive.

Back