Anyone Worried About the Chargers?

Parrot Paul on 01-14-2008 at 03:00 PM said:
Got a question for you. If the Patriots lose Brady and Welker in the first period of the Chargers game, and if Ben Watson sprains a big toe, and if Faulk gets a knee injury that sidelines him, can Cassel win the game for the Pats?

Of course Cassel can win the game. Kraft pays the refs, didn't you know?!

I worry about everyone! Yes the Chargers are playing well and they will give the Pats a tough game.

Warren94 on 01-14-2008 at 09:47 AM said:
Chris Chambers is the X Factor. He always had good games versus NE and especially catching TD

I'm a newbie and all, and don't mean to be a dick, but this is wrong.

Chambers's career numbers against New England:

6 seasons, 12 games, 48 receptions, 493 yards, 5 TDs

Or

4 receptions/game, 10.27 yards/reception, 41 yards/game and .41 TDs/game

His best game against the Patriots was in '01 (his rookie season) when he caught 7 passes for 124 yards and no TDs in the finale. His best year was '05 when, in the first game of the series, he caught 6 for 69 and 2 TDs and then the finale when he caught 5 for 75, 0 TDs in the dropkick, "We'd rather play the Jags" game.

He helps make the Chargers offense more potent, but he almost always comes up short against the Pats.

Someone is going to have to explain the "scary good" description of SD. Yes, they are playing their best ball later in the season, which is the goal, but are they playing any better than Jax was? Prior to Harrison's pathetic fumble, Indy was going in for the near-game-sealing TD to make it 14-0. Then they had two tipped ball ints, both of which were by open receivers. Hell, had Clark caught that last ball, there was a decent chance he was taking it all the way.

The thing about Indy is that, for all the explosiveness that they have, they don't really tailor their offense specifically to each opponent. They also don't have the same diveristy in the offensive weapons. Sure, they have great, great offensive players, but a lot of the skills overlap. With NE, each player has a specific strength that the other guys just don't possess. This allows them to take advantage of just about any defense, unless the game is played in a monsoon, of course.

In a game where the TOP was basically even, Indy wasted 12 minutes of their offensive possessions by driving all the way down the field only to turn it over. Add in another 70 yard drive that ended in downs inside the 10 and you get a whopping 14:17 TOP and 223 yards on 4 drives that ended in 0 total points. 35 of Indy's 66 total plays were on these non-scoring drives.

I feel the exact same way about SD as I did about Jax. If NE plays a bad game and SD plays their best game of the season, they have a chance. Otherwise? I can't see SD winning.

Electric Chair on 01-14-2008 at 10:53 AM said:
Your hate warms my soul.
The impending embarassment of that piece of human refuse you call a QB warms mine.

Or does he plan to be sitting on the sidelines when the game matters, and then talk trash on Billy Volek's dime again?

I feel the exact same way about SD as I did about Jax. If NE plays a bad game and SD plays their best game of the season, they have a chance. Otherwise? I can't see SD winning.
I'm with you there.

Had we played Indy and lost I would have been surprised but not shocked. With the Jags and Chargers, I will be shocked if we lose - not that I think it's impossible but I'd be shocked.

I think we're the better team anyway. Then you add in the travel, weather, injuries, etc, and I think we're the way better team.

Oswlek on 01-14-2008 at 04:07 PM said:
Someone is going to have to explain the "scary good" description of SD. Yes, they are playing their best ball later in the season, which is the goal, but are they playing any better than Jax was? Prior to Harrison's pathetic fumble, Indy was going in for the near-game-sealing TD to make it 14-0. Then they had two tipped ball ints, both of which were by open receivers. Hell, had Clark caught that last ball, there was a decent chance he was taking it all the way.

The thing about Indy is that, for all the explosiveness that they have, they don't really tailor their offense specifically to each opponent. They also don't have the same diveristy in the offensive weapons. Sure, they have great, great offensive players, but a lot of the skills overlap. With NE, each player has a specific strength that the other guys just don't possess. This allows them to take advantage of just about any defense, unless the game is played in a monsoon, of course.

In a game where the TOP was basically even, Indy wasted 12 minutes of their offensive possessions by driving all the way down the field only to turn it over. Add in another 70 yard drive that ended in downs inside the 10 and you get a whopping 14:17 TOP and 223 yards on 4 drives that ended in 0 total points. 35 of Indy's 66 total plays were on these non-scoring drives.

SD is a little bit better than Jacksonville

Leading the league in turnover differential has got to be good for something...especially considering their first half-season was crap.

Let's not forget the underdogs the Patriots were headed into the 2002 Super Bowl against the Rams.

On any given Sunday.....turnovers and penalties...so far the Pats have held onto the ball. Rodney got a little carried away Saturday night...that can't happen Sunday even though both Rodney and Junior will be super hyped.

Belichick will keep them cool.

Parrot Paul on 01-14-2008 at 04:32 PM said:
Let's not forget the underdogs the Patriots were headed into the 2002 Super Bowl against the Rams.

On any given Sunday.....turnovers and penalties...so far the Pats have held onto the ball. Rodney got a little carried away Saturday night...that can't happen Sunday even though both Rodney and Junior will be super hyped.

Belichick will keep them cool.

You are right about underdogs, but what you forget is that the man that presided over two of the biggest SB upsets in the last 20 years also doubles as NE's current head coach.

Guys, guys... Relax. Remember...

jaric on 01-14-2008 at 10:28 AM said:
As fans you should be worried.

Worried that Rivers will be talking trash to you while Billy Volek fights his battles for him.

Pats by at least 20, There will be more Chargers crying after the game than chargers scoring touchdowns.

And yes Jaric is still angry.

I'm with you on this one. Is anybody going to be truly shocked if this game is over at halftime?

PS* on 01-14-2008 at 05:57 PM said:
I'm with you on this one. Is anybody going to be truly shocked if this game is over at halftime?
I hope not. That implies that Pats pack it in at half time.

If there was ever a game I wanted you to run the score up...

JD10367 on 01-14-2008 at 09:13 AM said:
If you look at yesterday and say, "Manning had a 400-yard game and threw TDs, and the Colts were at home, and the Chargers played half the game without Rivers and LT... and San Diego still won," then you get worried.

However, you have to look at the bigger picture.

1.) The Chargers might be playing the WHOLE upcoming game without Rivers and LT. And even if both play, you can guarantee they won't be at full strength. A healthier Rivers in the first half against Indy won't be the same as a hobbling Rivers against the Pats. Take a half-second off Rivers' reaction moves and you're talking the difference between "last minute TD pass" and "strip-sack fumble".

2.) The Chargers were the beneficiary of not one but TWO bad tipped passes near their end zone. That right there was a 6 to 14 point swing in the game. That stuff usually doesn't happen with the Pats.

3.) The Pats have a better receiving corps. (Not just talking about Moss, but the whole package of guys.... Moss, Stallworth, Welker, Gaffney, Watson, Faulk, even Maroney now.)

4.) The Pats have a better head coach.

5.) The Pats have a better QB. (Sorry, I know, the debate rages on, but...)

6.) The Pats don't overlook opponents.

7.) The Pats have just shown they can shut down a running game.

JD, regarding point 5... the QB debate is over and done buddy.
Anyone still thinks Peyton's better hasn't watched a game this season.

We play jacksonville and lost but that doesn't tell all the story

Anyway you will see on Sunday which is Better Jacksonville or San Diego

jaric on 01-14-2008 at 06:05 PM said:
I hope not. That implies that Pats pack it in at half time.

If there was ever a game I wanted you to run the score up...

You know as well as I do that if they have a chance to win this game by 50 they will. There'll be no packing it in.

Back