Appalachian Trail -Thru Hike

Having just hiked over a hundred miles in Utah, I will say that unless you’re very physically fit, it’s an exceptional ask of your body, especially if you’re 40+.

I’m 45, in pretty good shape from constant mountain biking and frequent hikes, but I know personally that I would need 6-8 months of training to prepare for the App hike. I did it when I was in my 20’s, did the whole thing with three college buddies , and we all did well, but back then I was 6’3” 170. Being 35 pounds heavier now would force me to make some serious changes first.

Regardless, though, it’s an awesome personal challenge, Piggy, and I hope it goes phenomenally for you. Slow and steady wins the race.
I’ll be training for the next 3 years and preparing financially to be away from home for 5-7 months. You’re absolutely right about slow and steady wins the race. Only 25% complete the challenge and one of the biggest reasons for dropping out is people go out of the gate and hike big miles and get injured. There’s two kinds of shape treadmill shape and trail shape. It can take 30 to even up to 60 days to get your trail legs. I’ll be either 59 or 60 years of age when I start my Thru-hike. I wish I could go now, but financial obligations come first.
Thank you for the kind words by the way.

Last edited:
I’ll be training for the next 3 years and preparing financially to be away from home for 5-7 months. You’re absolutely right about slow and steady wins the race. Only 25% complete the challenge and one of the biggest reasons for dropping out is people go out of the gate and hike big miles and get injured. There’s two kinds of shape treadmill shape and trail shape. It can take 30 to even up to 60 days to get your trail legs. I’ll be either 59 or 60 years of age when I start my Thru-hike. I wish I could go now, but financial obligations come first.
Thank you for the kind words by the way.
Good luck my friend .... I accomplished it when I was young and stupid and a rock climber . Five spinal surgeries later that’s probably why I could never do it again lol. Lee, Lenox, or Ottis?

~Dee~

Good luck my friend .... I accomplished it when I was young and stupid and a rock climber . Five spinal surgeries later that’s probably why I could never do it again lol. Lee, Lenox, or Ottis?

~Dee~
I raised my kids in Adams. Hiked every trail in northern Berkshire county.

I raised my kids in Adams. Hiked every trail in northern Berkshire county.
Love it my college roommate was from Lee I love the Berkshire’s. Granddaughter no 2 is my mini me she is attending Mia Hamms soccer camp in Ottis this summer while Mia is there. She also a “ member/ mascot of the HS team at the school she attends a private school K to 12 ... She plays lacrosse as well lol. Her mother was the cheerleader lol karmas a bitch

~Dee~

Last edited:
No Italy this year, PF?

Cheers
Sadly, my school didn’t allow us to travel to Europe. So, Utah for mountain biking and hiking instead.
I’ve been coaching our school’s varsity mountain biking team for a few years now. It’s addicting.

I’m hoping for Italy next March. I already have things lined up. We will see.

I suspect many, many women have been telling you to take a hike for years now :coffee:

glad to see you finally got the hint 😘
When I’m at the shelters I’ll be poking holes in all the hot womenz tents. This is why I bought a two person tent. I’m always ready to help a Dansel in distress.:rofl:

When I’m at the shelters I’ll be poking holes in all the hot womenz tents. This is why I bought a two person tent. I’m always ready to help a Dansel in distress.:rofl:
Ok now I‘m really laughing 😝

~Dee~

I went on a 7 day trip in Northern Georgia and the Smokies.
I hiked over 35 miles, camped two nights on top of a couple of mountains. The Appalachian Trail is amazing. I stayed one night at a hostel call the Green Dragon and the owners are were just tremendous. My first two days hiking I had 10 pounds too much in my pack. So I did a shake down and got it below 30 pounds. I learned a lot about myself and realize this is what I want to do still. I want to keep training and then a few years down the road I will attempt to thru hike the AT. The people are amazing on the trail and made a friend or two and some of them are from Florida right down the road from me. It’s nice to make friends with total strangers but at the end of the day we all have a lot in common. We all enjoy the culture, the beauty of the Appalachian trail.

Since this was my only vacation of the year, I did get to enjoy some really good food and the wonderful area of northern Georgia and up in Asheville, North Carolina. Someday, maybe one of those places may be my home when I retire. I want to be close to the Trail because that’s where my heart is at.

I’ll post a few pictures and enjoy.
Pig

Attachments

• IMG_3389.jpeg
    IMG_3389.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3392.jpeg
    IMG_3392.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3398.jpeg
    IMG_3398.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 2

Attachments

• IMG_3652.jpeg
    IMG_3652.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3651.jpeg
    IMG_3651.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3650.jpeg
    IMG_3650.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3649.jpeg
    IMG_3649.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3648.jpeg
    IMG_3648.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 2
Congrats! Glad you’re having fun with it.

~Dee~

Back