Best New England Clam Chowder

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2kbIMzSZUeA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I grew up eating at Blount Seafood in Warren; really fresh food, served on the Warren waterfront. They now sell their products all over the place. Give them a try.

I'm turning a shit ton of trout into crabcakes (sub the crab for trout)...they're fvcking amazing!!!! Use Old Bay or sum ting like a cajun mix for spice and use buscuits crumbled up/flax (for binder material). Make sure to blacken them when cooking...ala BBQ. DAYUM!!!!!

Wow. That sounds pretty good. I know where to get some trout. I'll try it.

Not sure this really applies, but here is a web site you all might want to check out. There are like hundreds of seafood recipes here. Something like 80 soups, stews and chowders. If ya like to cook, this is pretty cool to look at. Hope ya enjoy.
http://reelaffair.com/recipes1.asp

That's an excellent website! Thank you for posting.

I'll stick with NE clam chowda thanks. Legal Seafood is the best mass produced chowda, You can get the frozen version at Applebees, I think. I like the Homestead Restaurant in Londonderry NH for fresh made.

Not sure this really applies, but here is a web site you all might want to check out. There are like hundreds of seafood recipes here. Something like 80 soups, stews and chowders. If ya like to cook, this is pretty cool to look at. Hope ya enjoy.
http://reelaffair.com/recipes1.asp

Thanks a ton for this link- I can't wait to try some of those smoked salmon recipes...!

Jasper White. 1990 James Beard Award Winner: Best Cheff in Northeast. Owner Chef at the Legendary Jaspers. Now Owner of the 4 Sugar Shacks (Boston, Cambridge, 2 at Mohegan). Author of Lobster at Home.

He wrote the first dedicated Chowder cookbook in 2000

50 Chowders
One Pot Meals - Clam. Corn & Beyond

Got a 1st edition Copy for Christmas 2000 from Lori and have been making chowder from it ever since.

3 or 4 Clam chowder recipes.

I have almost 200 cookbooks and this is one of my essentials. Reco it highly.

Cheers

We have a hard time getting quahogs up here so if I want chowda I have to eat the creamy style. I ate a lot of Snows when I was growing up.

As for smoked salmon, I usually make a huge batch of smoked reds (sockeye) every summer and I use this smoker I built about 6 years ago.

e7b0b69d2a9e6e41653b47e6ebedaba5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have a hard time getting quahogs up here so if I want chowda I have to eat the creamy style. I ate a lot of Snows when I was growing up.

As for smoked salmon, I usually make a huge batch of smoked reds (sockeye) every summer and I use this smoker I built about 6 years ago.

e7b0b69d2a9e6e41653b47e6ebedaba5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a fancy shitter ya got there...:coffee:

I'm partial to the RI clam chowder from Seafood Etc. in Pawcatuck Ct*. Last summer thay closed a satellite location that was near my town for ~30 years. Now I'm SOL.:banghead:

As for the canned stuff. I prefer Progresso New England clam chowder. Not great. But superior to any of the major brands and even the stuff from Legal Seafoods that you can buy frozen in some supermarkets. (IMO)

Even though I was born and raised in Rhode Island I prefer Manhatten clam chowder. Great with some fresh deep fried clam cakes.

Sacrilege! ;)

The Manhatten chowder I mean. Clam Cakes are as good as it get as far as I'm concerned.

The best clam chowder is clear broth chowder and not that creamy thick crap. Thankfully my wife has this recipe down and it is the best I've ever eaten.

I'm sorry, but that's soup, not chowder. It might be very tasty, though.

Chowders are essentially soups which begin with some type of roux. RI chowder falls into that category, and may be considered to straddle the line between chowder and stew.

I love it best because its ingredients enhance the clam flavor without masking it.

Back