Bill Belichick is the COTY

He led the team out of the tunnel in week one...and won the game?

I looked around a bit to try and find the right thread for my musing but this was the only one I could find that was close enough.

This is probably sure to piss a few of you off but it is a legitimate question.

Belichick is currently 71-79 without Tom Brady. How does that recon with him being the greatest coach to ever grace a sideline? Was he merely the beneficiary of the GOAT, Tom Brady or is he indeed the GOAT coach?

I ask because he was mediocre before Brady came along and he really hasn't done much without him to this point.

Flame away, I guess.

I looked around a bit to try and find the right thread for my musing but this was the only one I could find that was close enough.

Belichick is currently 71-79 without Tom Brady. How does that recon with him being the greatest coach to ever grace a sideline? Was he merely the beneficiary of the GOAT, Tom Brady or is he indeed the GOAT coach?

I ask because he was mediocre before Brady came along and he really hasn't done much without him to this point.

Flame away, I guess.

He had a few rebuilding years with the Browns, (7-9 both years) led them to 11-5 record and won a playoff game.

Then he had a rebuilding year in his first season with the Pats (5-11). The year Brady was out all season in '08 he led the team to 11-5 with Cassel as QB.

He coached last year's team as a cap strapped, pedestrian roster with many COVID opt outs and a limited QB to a 7-9 record.

Now with a rookie QB he's got a 9-6 record in a quick turnaround. My question is, if he isn't the GOAT coach then who is it? At the very least he is considerably better than any other active coach right now. I guess it's a matter of perspective, but if it makes you sleep better at night, have at it.

Flame away, I guess.
Any coach that lost the great QB of all time would crumble. Yes last year was a mess. But just look at how quick things turned in one season. Funny the bills now are so great and have the best coach and QB combo they have had in 25 years and yet bill has the pats with the same 9-6 record the superior bills have this season. Keep flapping that jaw now cause soon you will be an after thought. Good luck the rest of the way

He had a few rebuilding years with the Browns, (7-9 both years) led them to 11-5 record and won a playoff game.

Then he had a rebuilding year in his first season with the Pats (5-11). The year Brady was out all season in '08 he led the team to 11-5 with Cassel as QB.

He coached last year's team as a cap strapped, pedestrian roster with many COVID opt outs and a limited QB to a 7-9 record.

Now with a rookie QB he's got a 9-6 record in a quick turnaround. My question is, if he isn't the GOAT coach then who is it? At the very least he is considerably better than any other active coach right now. I guess it's a matter of perspective, but if it makes you sleep better at night, have at it.
Just a Q. Why you spend any time with this blatent troll? U R just making him happy.

Don't Feed the trolls!

Under most NFL coaches Brady would never have gotten a chance as a 4th stringer.

Had he received the chance when Bledsoe went down most coaches would have reinstated the big money starter after he was cleared to play.

Tom played 20 years under the same offensive system with 3 different primary OCs

We heard many of the same comments we're hearing not about Mac through TFBs first 3 super bowl wins (game manager, system QB, weak arm, immobile, etc)

So the question I'd ask is would Brady be GOAT without Belichick?

I would argue, probably not. In fact I would argue that neither would have been GOAT without the other.

BB built a contender in Cleveland, only to have the rug pulled out from under him with the lame duck "we're moving" season.

He built a championship team in New England (2001-2004), when the window closed he built a top contender (2007-2010), when that window closed he built another championship team (2014-2018) when that window closed he had one down year (7-9) and has rebuilt the roster into a playoff contending team, final results to be determined.

Throughout that time the team has had 2 losing records, one in 2000 and one in 2020.

No other coach comes close.

Hey, thanks for the reply.

To clarify a little, BB also had a 6-10 season prior to those back-to-back 7-9 seasons in Cleveland. And he also had a 5-11 season after that one playoff year in '94. Granted there were a lot of factors surrounding that '95 team but none more so than Testaverde having a career year the year before.

I have wrestled with the question, who was the beneficiary of the relationship that was Brady/Belichick. Every time I really contemplated the question, I could come up with pluses for each but the overwhelming conclusion was that TB benefitted BB more.

I can't begin to tell you how happy the BillsMafia was when TB decided he had had enough of BB and took his act to TB. Then when BB went 7-9 last year and Brady won an SB in his very first season away from NE, it kind of cemented the thought that BB benefited more from their relationship than TB did. I mean, that is hard to argue against. Yes BB had Cam Freakin' Newton for a QB but that is all part of the picture when you are an HC, you are responsible for what you put out there.

BB has done an admirable job this year, no doubt. And because of what he has done with a rookie QB, my level of respect and understanding for his overall stature has only increased. But again, to be fair, I think it is a question that the final answer to, has yet to be determined. Just again, just to be fair to the question, when you have a sub .500 record I don't know that GOAT should be bandied about until a clearer picture emerges. If it proves out that he is the GOAT, then great, you guys had lightning strike twice in the same spot, congratulations. And I guess no matter how you look at it, congratulations are in order, even though it pains me to say so.

That and I'm sure his ego wants Shula's record. It will be close as to whether or not he can beat Shula's winning percentage.
i definitely believe he ain't quitting until he catches that bastard. 😄
all h.o.f. coaches pretty much had a top of the line qb or 2. most of them are the ones who gave the guy his break too i.e. walsh w/ montana, a 3rd rounder and trading for young who sucked on a bad team/played in the folded usfl. they all built their teams with top notch talent all around the qbs also. bb is the only hc who was not able to put as much talent on his team as he wanted because he's the most successful hc in the salary cap era. i think having to deal w/salary cap and f/a and having long term success is a credit to both tb and bb, but bb is the more important piece. they made each other better and each one never had to worry about the quality, skill, drive, ability of the other. that's huge. many coach/qbs don't have that.

That and I'm sure his ego wants Shula's record. It will be close as to whether or not he can beat Shula's winning percentage.
He had the rug pulled out from underneath him in Cleveland by Art Modell. That was a solid team. Long time ago & doesn't matter. Anyway, Why would he quit? He is in good health & looks to really be enjoying himself on & off the field. Even showing some never before seen patience with the media. I think he at least 5 more good years in the tank if he wants. I hope he stays around a long time. He's great for the game.

Back