Boston - The city of champions

Roberto71

Reaction score
What always impresses me about Boston sports is how the relationship that the major sports teams have with each other is utterly unique and goes way beyond merely supporting each other during the season.

Case in point, Brady part of a team helping to persuade Kevin Durant to come to the Celtics. I mean there he was with Danny Ainge just before the scheduled meeting.

Y2R1PpX.jpg

Big Papi also chimed in,

David Ortiz ✔@davidortiz
Yo @KDTrey5 sorry I couldn't make the meeting today but Brady will tell u they don't call Boston the City of Champions for nothing 🏆🏆🏆
11:43 PM - 2 Jul 2016

It's really a special thing to see, as Mike Reiss put it.

Mike Reiss @MikeReiss
Brady as Durant recruiter...Ortiz tweet on City of Champions...Horford says passion of fans swayed decision. Boston sports. Nothing like it.

That is awesome! Love seeing Brady with Ainge.

And Jules.

Screen%20Shot%202016-07-03%20at%2020.26.57_zpsb3o66mel.png

Jules. :bow: When Bill picked him in the 7th, we could never have imagined that he would become such a magnificent Patriot in every way.

Cheers, BostonTim

The pundits are saying Durant will go back to the Thunder or go with the Warriors.

Word is the Celtics made an incredibly compelling presentation and Tom played a blinder. So it was a noble effort by all concerned.

No surprise there. Still, pretty cool that Tom was part of the presentation and Big Papi and Julian chimed in. :)

:patriotlogo::redsox::Celtics::bruins:

Champions in so many ways!

Oh well. Stupid move by KD, if you ask me. Now he has to play behind Curry and change his game. Here he would have been the star of the show and not had bandwagon fans.

Oh well. Stupid move by KD, if you ask me. Now he has to play behind Curry and change his game. Here he would have been the star of the show and not had bandwagon fans.

JMO - I think that he probably had his mind made up already.

Gina

He doesn't have to change anything, if you ask me. He was playing with a PG who demanded ridiculous attention which gave him a great many open looks. Now he's going to play with a PG that demands even more attention but is a better passer of the ball.

Only way it's stupid is if they don't title, but that's for a year from now to worry about.

He doesn't have to change anything, if you ask me. He was playing with a PG who demanded ridiculous attention which gave him a great many open looks. Now he's going to play with a PG that demands even more attention but is a better passer of the ball.

Only way it's stupid is if they don't title, but that's for a year from now to worry about.

Yeah. It is a great move for Durant and for GS overall.

Basically, Durant can just be a better Barnes. Stand in the corner and take open 3's, but go maybe 12/30 in the finals rather than Barnes's 3/40 (or whatever)

Well Tom shows what a leader he is, the Celtic players were raving about him.

The Celtics might have traveled to the Hamptons with the goal of recruiting Durant, but those privy to how the meetings went confirm that they came back raving about Brady.

"All I heard was their experience with Tom Brady, so I didn’t really get a lot about the meeting," said second-year guard R.J. Hunter, who was left behind with many of the team's younger players that were participating in summer league practices. "[The Celtics players were] like, ‘Yeah, the meeting was cool, but Tom, bro -- it was crazy.’

"So, I was like, 'All right, cool,' so we just kind of dove into that. They all posted Instagrams. I was kind of jealous. I wanted one. [Brady] had the button-up and everything. It was cool man. That would have been huge for my Instagram."

Brady looked the part of celebrity while wearing white pants, a denim shirt with a deep V-neck, sunglasses and a Kangol cap.

Danny Ainge revealed all about the meeting to the Globe.

Really interesting and shows how Tom went in fully committed on this. Tom continues to rise the ladder of awesomeness.

You saw the photograph of Tom Brady walking with Celtic folks Danny Ainge, Steve Pagliuca, Kelly Olynyk, and Marcus Smart in the Hamptons last Saturday. You heard about TB12 assisting the Celtics in their recruiting trip to Kevin Durant’s place on Long Island. You know the Celtics did not land the big fish, but you’re curious how all this went down.

Now the story can be told. According to Ainge, who spoke with the Globe from Utah Thursday morning, this is how the holiday weekend sports summit in the Hamptons unfolded:

“Tom and I are close. We’ve talked many times before. So I called Tom and talked with him and exchanged texts in preparation for our meeting with KD Saturday. Tom only had one day off in Boston. He’d been with his family in Costa Rica and we’d been exchanging messages while he was there. On Friday, July 1, he got back into town and I said, ‘I think we have a meeting with KD, can you come with us?’ and he said he wasn’t sure. Finally he said, ‘Yeah, I can do it. That would be fun.’

“First we were in Atlanta with [Al] Horford. On Saturday morning, some of us went from Atlanta to the Hamptons and some of us went from Atlanta to Boston. Private planes. We had one plane to go to Hanscom [in Bedford, Mass.] to pick up Tom. That one had Wyc [Grousbeck], Pags, and me. When we got to Hanscom, we picked up Tom and Marcus Smart. From there we flew to the Hamptons, where our other group was waiting. Kelly and Brad [Stevens] and Isaiah [Thomas] and Jae [Crowder] had gone straight to the Hamptons.

“So before our meeting with KD, we all went to lunch with Tom. I think it was just as much fun for all of us to be around Tom Brady and just talk to him. Our players were really infatuated and excited to meet with Tom Brady and just talk to him about fitness and training at his age and how he stays so healthy. There was a lot of discussion about that over lunch. It was fun listening to Tom teach our young guys.

“We went from lunch to KD’s place. KD had arranged for us to be at a house he must have rented for those few days he was there. We got there around 4 o’clock. I think he had already met with Oklahoma City, Golden State, and the Clippers. I think we were the fourth team to meet him. We spent approximately three hours with him.

“First Tom and Kevin greeted each other. They had met each other before. Tom’s a big fan of KD’s. Then we sat down fairly quickly and got down to business. Tom talked a little bit about the Celtics and Boston and what it’s like as a city and how they embrace sports.

“After we talked for a while, the players all went and talked among themselves. Tom, Kevin, and all of our players. They went off to talk without any of us or any agents or representatives from the team. It was just our players and KD and Tom, talking and asking questions. Maybe they had questions about us, maybe they had questions about Brad. I don’t have any idea what was discussed among the players. That went on for about 45 minutes while we sat inside just shooting the breeze asking questions to one another in the house.

“After that, the players came back and sat down and we had more discussions about Boston and what’s good about it. We went back to our sales pitch. KD had a few questions. He was obviously well-prepared and well-schooled and very knowledgable about everything Boston, which was very impressive.

“After that, all the players, including our players and Tom, were dismissed. They went to the airport. Tom flew back with all of our players, an hour and a half before we did. Then it was just Brad, Steve, Wyc, and myself with KD and his agent, his father, and one more friend of his. We just talked basketball for an hour and a half. We talked about how we’d utilize him. We had some videos. Brad did a magnificent job in his presentation and just talking basketball. I think it went really well, and when we left that meeting we felt we were in legitimate contention to get him.

“We went from not thinking we had a great shot to all of us believing that we did have a chance. We did allow ourselves over the next 48 hours to really believe that there was a good chance that we could get him.

“KD called me to tell me early Monday. We had a good conversation and sort of verified what we all thought. He said it was a really hard call for him and that he was impressed with our organization and what we had to offer. I think it was all very positive and I wished him well.

“It’s hard to know for sure what kind of impact Tom had on things. Obviously it was beneficial for us and I think for sure it was great for our players. It was fun to be around Tom. I think it had some impact on KD for sure, but how much, I don’t know. You could tell there was a great deal of mutual respect. Tom did a great job for us and we’re very grateful, regardless of the outcome. It was a good experience for us.’’

Sounds like the Celtics players appreciated Tom coming along (as did management) despite the fact that KD probably had chosen the Warriors even before the presentation. Oh, well, it showed Tom's willingness to help out and he got a chance to chill with athletes from a different sport and preach his diet and health regimen to a receptive audience. :)

Seems Tom came closer than some think to pulling this off!

Tom Brady nearly convinced Kevin Durant to join Celtics, Durant says: “I was ready to just say, ‘All right. Let’s go. I’m ready to go,’ seeing Tom Brady there,” Durant said. “Just seeing someone so successful at his craft and just a great ambassador for the game of football and the city of Boston, it was just great to be in the presence of greatness.” (BostonHerald.com)

Roger Goodell on Deflategate: ‘We moved on from that as

Back