BREAKING NEWS - Chargers Fire Schottenheimer!

The question isn't why (how do you run an NFL team with a coach and GM who can't even stand to talk to each other?) but why now? Why not do this a month ago? :confused:

Geez, if tomlinson loves his sorry ass coach so much, maybe he can follow his sorry ass out the door

Look out...I feel a Meriman dance coming on

Whoooooowhooo!!!!!!!

RoadGrader on 02-12-2007 at 10:15 PM said:
Pete Carroll could get the Bolts jacked 'n pumped

plus he'd bring new cheerleaders with him

usc.gif

Yowza! You just made my night, Roadgrader

Don't know what the reasons were, but if it was just the Bolts not advancing in the playoffs this year I disagree with the decision. By that measure Dungee would have been fire awhile ago. Andy Reid too.

Chargers | Team releases statement over Schottenheimer's dismissal
Mon, 12 Feb 2007 18:28:22 -0800

San Diego Chargers president Dean Spanos has released a statement regarding head coach Marty Schottenheimer's dismissal. Spanos said, " Today I made an extremely difficult decision: Marty Schottenheimer is no longer the head coach of the San Diego Chargers." Spanos said the team is responsible for paying the final year of Schottenheimer's contract. He added, "Our fans deserve to know what changed for me over the last month. When I decided to move ahead with Marty Schottenheimer in mid-January, I did so with the expectation that the core of his fine coaching staff would remain intact. Unfortunately, that did not prove to be the case, and the process of dealing with these coaching changes convinced me that we simply could not move forward with such dysfunction between our head coach and general manager. In short, this entire process over the last month convinced me beyond any doubt that I had to act to change this untenable situation and create an environment where everyone at Charger Park would be pulling in the same direction and working at a championship level. I expect exactly that from our entire Charger organization in 2007."

yeah, I heard it around 9 on my way into work....And the Tuna rumors are flying all over the place, too. Just odd that the ownership didn't see the disassembly of the staff coming? Hell, I think we all saw that one coming.

#1Patsfan_chica on 02-12-2007 at 09:26 PM said:
I thought that was a classless move by San Diego.

especially waiting to fire him until all the other coaching jobs are gone. how do you fire a guy who went 14-2 ? who's going to want to go there now.

Its Schottenheimer here.....so take off all your clothes.

I just cant get that commercial out of my head.

Someone please help me.

southcarolina on 02-12-2007 at 10:01 PM said:
Its Schottenheimer here.....so take off all your clothes.

I just cant get that commercial out of my head.

Someone please help me.

you ain't right :D

dred on 02-12-2007 at 09:57 PM said:
How much would it suck if Bill Cowher suddenly decided to come out of retirement and coach the Chargers next year?

WTF?

Thankfully(?), since Cowher retired, and wasn't fired, the Squealers still own his rights for next year.

If the Bolts wanted to hire him, they'd have to give some love, so to speak, to Pittsburgh. [Presumably draft picks, but who knows?]

ctpatsfan77 on 02-13-2007 at 12:20 AM said:
If the Bolts wanted to hire him, they'd have to give some love, so to speak, to Pittsburgh. [Presumably draft picks, but who knows?]
I seem to recall SD would have to cough up bigtime $$$, too, to Pitt.

they waited because they don't want schott getting a job.
really was classless (no joke meant there)
IMO

Poor Marty Shotandfired :sulk:
What a :BS: move by the Chahjizz.

And where is BoltsOwnNoHC ?
I haven't seen him here in weeks.

FORE!!! on 02-12-2007 at 11:24 PM said:
Poor Marty Shotandfired :sulk:
What a :BS: move by the Chahjizz.

And where is BoltsOwnNoHC ?
I haven't seen him here in weeks.

BoltsOwnU has popped in to regale you all with verse and brilliant observation over the last few weeks. Now for the latest. . .

Anyone with more than a walnut-sized brain should realize that there isn't a single active or retired coaching candidate in the game who wouldn't consider, and consider strongly if not out right desire, Shotty's vacant position.

They'll get a roster stacked with no less than 15 probowlers coming off a 14 win season. The best running back in the game today, if not possibly the best in history to date, and a tightly knit locker room full of young talented guys locked up for years.

Basically we're handing the new coach keys to team ready for a championship run in year one. That kind of opportunity almost NEVER comes along.

BOU was a Schotty fan, but this really had to be done now or our next season could have been a total mess. His staff was gutted and without them, a makeover was all but guaranteed.

According to Pro Football Talk, the early speculation is Pete Carroll.

woohoo woohoo

Although, before we get too excited about the demise of the Chargers, there is a list of candidates.

CARROLL ALREADY A DONE DEAL?

Early speculation in some league circles is that the Chargers already have a wink-nod deal in place with USC coach Pete Carroll to succeed Marty Schottenheimer.

Consider the evidence.

After it was announced that Schottenheimer would return to the Chargers, John Czarnecki of FOXSports.com reported that the Chargers would have cut Schottenheimer loose if they could have lined up the guy that they wanted to take his place. Czar didn't name the mystery candidate, but our guess was/is that it is/was Carroll.

Four weeks later, Carroll was able to lock up another class of recruits, who signed their letters of intent on February 7.

Also, remember how Steve Sarkisian abruptly pulled out of the running to coach the Raiders? He said at the time that he wants to be a head coach at the college level, prompting speculation that he'd been given a wink-nod of his own that, if/when Carroll leaves, Sark gets the Trojans' gig.

And that might have prompted USC co-offensive coordinator Lane Kiffin to look elsewhere so soon after Sarkisian said "no thanks" to the Raiders.

Then there's the looming Reggie Bush mess, which could eventually cause serious problems for USC. But it's generally accepted at the college level that the NCAA doesn't come down as hard on a program if the coach who presided over the mess is gone when the poop hits the propeller.

If the Chargers didn't have a damn good idea who they'd be hiring before firing Schottenheimer so close to the scouting combine and the onset of free agency, then they're just plain stoopid. How in the world can an NFL franchise commence the process of shaping their roster for 2007 without the benefit of knowing who the head coach will be, and what systems he will run?

Still, if the Chargers don't already have an officially unofficial deal in place with Carroll, the other possibilities are intriguing.

How about Jon Gruden? We heard last month that his situation in Tampa is not fully resolved, and the Chargers are just close enough to the top of the mountain to benefit from the short-term jolt he can bring to the table.

Or Ron Rivera? The Bears' defensive coordinator is a California native, and is almost certain to get an interview under the Rooney Rule.

Ditto for 49ers assistant head coach Mike Singletary. He is widely respected in league circles, and many believe it's only a matter of time before he becomes a head coach.

Other possible candidates (in our view) include Chargers receivers coach James Lofton, former Chargers tight ends coach Rob Chudzinski, former Chargers linebackers coach Greg Manusky, Texans assistant head coach Mike Sherman, former Cardinals coach Dennis Green, and former Giants coach Jim Fassel.

Here's a curve ball -- former Chiefs, Rams, and Eagles coach Dick Vermeil. Sure, he's "retired." But we think the lure of taking a 14-2 team to the next level could be enough to coax him to come back.

BOU is talking in third person now. DarrylStingley thinks that BOU reminds him of Wade Boggs.

This is a sad day for Darryl.

Marty was a good coach before the playoffs began every year and a bad playoff game coach. Going for it on 4th and 11, as if to prove that he wasn't going to be too conservative, was stupid. Not running the ball on that last series, with LDT and a functional rookie QB in the backfield, played a HUGE role in the Pats victory.

Marty, Pats and other AFC fans will miss you.

I hope they hire Mr. Pumped and Jacked so he can do unto the Chargers as he did unto the Pats.

Last, the plus side of this is that the Charger players seemed to support Marty. Maybe this will frick up the team a bit for a year.

It's almost as if God Himself is saying to the Chargers..

..."you look just like a hog!!"

Back