Buying Bookshelf Speakers

patfan64

Generally Aware
Reaction score
So my speakers are shot. I've had them since college (1985).

Looking to spend $200 - $300 for a pair. Does anyone have any suggestions?

So far I like the JBL Arena 120 5.5 and the Klipsch Reference 5-1/4. Both are $200 for the pair.

The room is roughly 20' by 20'. I've got a Pioneer receiver with surround hooked up through a Sony middle and rear speaker system. Just need some new fronts.

Thanks

Just scapped my entire old rig for SONOS (playbar, sub, 2 play-ones as surround speakers).

Amazing.

Awesome.

Go to a store where they have a system set up and scope it out. The sub in particular just rules.

You can burn your collection to a NAS and access it that way, if you are depending on CDs.

http://www.sonos.com/en-us

My next speakers will be from SVS, but they are certainly not in the $200 range.

I don't know anything about the speakers you are looking at, but in general to get the best sound, you should try to match all 5 (or 7 or 9) of your speakers. Doesn’t mean they should all be the same model, but its best to have them matched (like even across different models, from towers to bookshelf, they all share the same tweeters for example).

So if you find bookshelf that you like, you might want to look into what it would take to complete the set down the road, even if you can not afford it now.

Sent from my Enigma Device

My next speakers will be from SVS, but they are certainly not in the $200 range.

I don't know anything about the speakers you are looking at, but in general to get the best sound, you should try to match all 5 (or 7 or 9) of your speakers. Doesn’t mean they should all be the same model, but its best to have them matched (like even across different models, from towers to bookshelf, they all share the same tweeters for example).

So if you find bookshelf that you like, you might want to look into what it would take to complete the set down the road, even if you can not afford it now.

My basement was just refinished. Put a decent LCD TV down there and I'm looking to add a system.

I'll take your advice when I put that together. When I have money. :)

I replaced my surround sound system 5 odd years ago and went with Paradigm

I did my replacement in stages.

I bought the AV receiver, the front speakers and the center speaker first.

I bought the Atom Monitor series for the fronts.

Great speakers, but about twice what you want to spend. They list at $200 each, but you might be able to get a better deal if you shop around.

Six months later I bought the sub-woofer and six months after that I bought the rear speakers. Well actually I bought an upgrade to the Atom's and used them as the front and put the Atom's as my rears.

I did it in stages so I could save the money needed to buy the components.

I'd recommend that you find a good Hi-Fi shop in your area where you can go in and do some comparisons.

Tell them your budget and what they have in that range. Then ask them to show you the next step up and listen to the difference.

You're probably have these for 10+ years, so it makes sense to understand just what the difference is between the items in your price range and the next step up.

If the difference is noticeable, then if you can, you should consider delaying the purchase, save some money, until you can afford the higher priced item.

Don't own Sonos but here's another vote.

Was over a well to do friends house who had his whole pool area outfitted.

Sounded like Metallica was in the back friggin yard!

Incredible!

All controlled off the iPhone at his patio bar sitting drinking.

It was impressive to say the least.

Don't own Sonos but here's another vote.

Was over a well to do friends house who had his whole pool area outfitted.

Sounded like Metallica was in the back friggin yard!

Incredible!

All controlled off the iPhone at his patio bar sitting drinking.

It was impressive to say the least.

Ironic since Rick Rubin had a testimonial on their website...

So I got the Polk TSx110B's on Friday and spent the weekend tweaking my stereo settings.

They are a little smaller than I wanted but the sound they produce is as good if not better then the Pinnacle speakers they replaced. The sound gets distorted a bit at high volume but at my age, I rarely listen to anything that high anymore.

Thanks again, beaglebay.

You're welcome :toast:

If you are in the market for bigger floor speakers in the future, look into vintage Polk Monitor 7s, B or C class. They are extraordinary, and can now be found on ebay or the like for less than $100/pair.

I bought mine in the early '90s, and they still sound great.

I replaced my surround sound system 5 odd years ago and went with Paradigm. Don't own Sonos but here's another vote.

Bookshelf speakers are the middle ground between portable and Full range floor speakers. They often provide a better sound quality than you'll find in a portable speaker, making them ideal for entertainment centers. However, they don't take up as much space as floor speakers, though some can be put on a floor stand.

You're welcome :toast:

If you are in the market for bigger floor speakers in the future, look into vintage Polk Monitor 7s, B or C class. They are extraordinary, and can now be found on ebay or the like for less than $100/pair.

I bought mine in the early '90s, and they still sound great.
A friend of mine who is anal and a speaker connoisseur has a pair of those and loves em.

Back