Calling PF09 (and any other social studies teachers here)

SteelerFan87

Pittsburgh Awesomes Fan
Reaction score
I need ideas for lesson plans, and my mind refuses to pick any.

I have to make a total of 6 (not all due at the same time), and they can deal with any subject in social studies. However, I'm not allowed to do all history or all economics or anything like that. I have to do different subjects. Also, my professor is only going to grade the last one completely. The others he's going to look at different parts. So I want to save my best for last, which is contributing to me not being able to figure out what I want to do for the rest. Any help would be appreciated.

Anything related to the old Mesopotamian/Sumerian cultures are always good - especially if you tie in the old stories of Gilgamesh, which IIRC was the inspiration for the Noah "Great Flood"'story in the Bible, as well as the Great Deluge stories among other cultures etc.

In addition the old Code of Hammarubi, as an early example of social laws and punishme t.

The economics of that time period are also interesting, including the accidental invention of beer, etc.

Just some ideas to get you thinking.

Another good option would be the old Silk Road - related to trade among cultures over a long distance and how you could then find cultural influences that covered tremendously large distances, and potentially how these trade routes later became invasion routes.

Another option could be how the plague saved Europe from Mongolian conquest. :)

Another good option would be the old Silk Road - related to trade among cultures over a long distance and how you could then find cultural influences that covered tremendously large distances, and potentially how these trade routes later became invasion routes.

Another option could be how the plague saved Europe from Mongolian conquest. :)

That and Mongol in-fighting. We would have been buggered otherwise.

You could do a lesson plan on whether a formal Constitution leads to more democracy (the UK doesn't have one).

Another might be whether America has a de facto Empire and whether it is a good one.

What makes the US the richest and most technologically advanced country in the world? As a comparitor, you could look at countries of similar size, cultural heritage and resources in Canada and Australia.

Also, how about something about how Pittsburgh has reinvented itself in post-industrial times?

Finally- why does the Steelers O line suck such donkey balls and does the obliteration of fans' morale lead to recession and civil disorder?

I've tried to pick topics that are thought-provoking but which avoid too much bias (Left or Right) in their analysis.

Another option - pretty much anything to do with Turkey. That nations history is fascinating as all heck. The Greek periods, followed by the Christian time periods followed by the Islamic periods followed by that Turk dude that brought about Secularism etc...

Also, you could do an interesting lecture on Pederasty in Ancient Greek Cultures.

For example, you could explore how the ancient Greeks did not conceive of sexual orientation as a social identifier, as Western societies have done for the past century.

Greek society did not distinguish sexual desire or behavior by the gender of the participants, but rather by the role that each participant played in the sex act, that of active penetrator or passive penetrated. This active/passive polarization corresponded with dominant and submissive social roles: the active (penetrative) role was associated with masculinity, higher social status, and adulthood, while the passive role was associated with femininity, lower social status, and youth.

:coffee:

You could also look at why the average Brit wants to go down on the queen (Elton John vs Elizabeth) or why most Brit women have great asses but lousy teeth.:Fart:

another option - pretty much anything to do with turkey. That nations history is fascinating as all heck. The greek periods, followed by the christian time periods followed by the islamic periods followed by that turk dude that brought about secularism etc...

:4321:

Funny how that one pissed you off, but the Greek pederasty thing you apparently had no problem with.

Just saying. :coffee:

:p

:poke:

:choices:

>)

It's kind of like if someone said something about spygate, and also something about the playoff game against the Jets last year. Which would piss you off more?

Also, to be forserious for a second, if you could find away to compare/contrast the Roman Empire with the current American Empire.

I'll try to post some thoughts throughout the day.

Here's a more philosophical one:

Have your students read The Myth of Er from Plato's Republic, and analyze this idea of reincarnation. Discuss this version of reincarnation, and perhaps discuss this concept in context of Greek religion (with the idea, of course, that the Greeks DIDN'T believe in reincarnation).

Make some possible connections between Hinduism (because, as you know, the Greeks DID have some interactions with India, although much of it takes place in the 4th century, not the 5th).

Could also do a compare/contrast with Christianity. Judgement, going to Hell/Heaven (which takes place in the Myth of Er), etc.

Also, to be forserious for a second, if you could find away to compare/contrast the Roman Empire with the current American Empire.

Overdone already, with too much opportunity for politics to get in the way, imho.

Although, I think an interesting area would be the influence of Roman Society on our legal system would be an opportunity for good exploration, while tossing in some civics, law, history, and economics all in one swell foop. :coffee:

Overdone already, with too much opportunity for politics to get in the way, imho.

Although, I think an interesting area would be the influence of Roman Society on our legal system would be an opportunity for good exploration, while tossing in some civics, law, history, and economics all in one swell foop. :coffee:
Well in that case, I'd suggest reading Caesar's Civil War and look at how he changed not only Roman.

Although a discussion of how Roman Law influenced the world would be beneficial as well.

Well in that case, I'd suggest reading Caesar's Civil War and look at how he changed not only Roman.

Although a discussion of how Roman Law influenced the world would be beneficial as well.

Another one would be a look at how the unstoppable Roman Empire ended up having to build a damn wall to keep the Scots from pushing their shit in. :coffee:

Back