Cape Cod Natl Seashore

sg14

Reaction score
Is it true that there are no fees to go to the CC National Seashore??

Planning on renting a bike in Brewster and pedal into the park.
with my bike fiend wife of course.

There are no fees, except for parking.

You can pick up the bike path from Nickerson State Park in Brewster, and ride into Eastham (about 9 miles, probably more by bike path), getting off the trail at Salt Pond Rd and riding east to Rt 6. The Salt Pond Visitor Center will be right in front of you, across the highway, and it serves as the entrance to CCNS.

Have a blast!

Is it true that there are no fees to go to the CC National Seashore??

Planning on renting a bike in Brewster and pedal into the park.
with my bike fiend wife of course.

I've done a good portion of the rail trail and it is a great way to see the cape.

I'm not sure what part of the NS you're doing, but I'd recommend checking out the loop called Province Lands just outside of Provincetown if that isn't what you already plan to do. It's only about 7.5 miles with the extensions and not what you would call hardcore, but it is really nice with 3 distinct sections including one that is routed through huge sand dunes. Probably the best short ride on the Cape. Do it a couple of times and then hit the beach, FTW. It's a little less crowded than Coast Guard or Nauset beach. Defintely worth checking out.

I've done a good portion of the rail trail and it is a great way to see the cape.

I'm not sure what part of the NS you're doing, but I'd recommend checking out the loop called Province Lands just outside of Provincetown if that isn't what you already plan to do. It's only about 7.5 miles with the extensions and not what you would call hardcore, but it is really nice with 3 distinct sections including one that is routed through huge sand dunes. Probably the best short ride on the Cape. Do it a couple of times and then hit the beach, FTW. It's a little less crowded than Coast Guard or Nauset beach. Defintely worth checking out.

The bike paths end in Wellfleet, so you'd have to drive out to Province Lands, or ride on Rt 6, which is very hilly and very dangerous.

Some stretches there are so remote and desolate, you'd swear you were riding through another world. It is a truly magnificent experience.

Also along the way are Herring Cove Beach, an airport, and a CG Station, with amazing views from the parking lot.

Thanks to both for the recommendations.

The wife and I arrive at Logan early In the morning after a redeye. So am a bit concerned about our energy level. I am the better sleeper she is the better rider so it may even out.

I'll do a bit more research.

Thx

the white sharks should be arriving soon on the outer cape. lots of sightings from orleans and up the beaches to truro. a man got attacked on light house beach almost 2 years ago by a great white. stay out of the water?:eek:

We ended up at Nauset. Those trails and the visitors center were excellent.
Then went up the rail trail to Marconi beach. It was one of those hot days and I was gassed at about halfway.

Later drove up to P-town and got a peak of Province lands.
Also drove around/ thru P-town and could not find a restaurant. Ended up eating at Moby Dicks on 6 a bit north of Eastham (could be in wellfleet) -we would recommend it. Casual seafood.

On Patriot's news my wife and I had separate seats on the flight and she sat next to an attractive young woman and they got to talking. With the young womantalking about what she does, her future. Turns out she was a girlfriend of a Patriot.

We ended up at Nauset. Those trails and the visitors center were excellent.
Then went up the rail trail to Marconi beach. It was one of those hot days and I was gassed at about halfway.

Later drove up to P-town and got a peak of Province lands.
Also drove around/ thru P-town and could not find a restaurant. Ended up eating at Moby Dicks on 6 a bit north of Eastham (could be in wellfleet) -we would recommend it. Casual seafood.

On Patriot's news my wife and I had separate seats on the flight and she sat next to an attractive young woman and they got to talking. With the young womantalking about what she does, her future. Turns out she was a girlfriend of a Patriot.

Glad you enjoyed your trip. Maybe next time you can bike Province Lands. It's a good thing you didn't stop in a restaraunt with "Cap'n" as part of it's name. There are about 15 of them on the cape and they all suck.

I was staying on Kiawah Island, SC last week and the sand is so firm you can bike the beach easily, which is awesome. I knew I had a brisk tailwind so I attempted to be conservative, but ended up doing the 10-mile length of it because it was too damn fun to stop. Coming back was about 8 times harder and I was whipped when I got back to our digs, but no regrets. Beer never tasted better.

I also did some kayaking and one of our guides was a very attractive, athletic young lady who I got to talking with. Turns out she recently dated one of Belichick's sons for a while. I was too polite to ask for dirt and she didn't offer up any, but the tone of her voice was clear enough. Not a happy experience.

Thanks for the recap.

Glad you had a good experience, sg14. Moby Dick's (Wellfleet) is a really popular restaurant with locals, too.

If you visit Provincetown again, Front Street is a restaurant which is a 'can't miss' option for dinner. It's pricey, but superb. It's on Commercial Street, in the center of town, just before you get to Masonic Place.

Cafe Heaven is also excellent, and is a bit further west on Commercial St.

Glad you had a good experience, sg14. Moby Dick's (Wellfleet) is a really popular restaurant with locals, too.

If you visit Provincetown again, Front Street is a restaurant which is a 'can't miss' option for dinner. It's pricey, but superb. It's on Commercial Street, in the center of town, just before you get to Masonic Place.

Cafe Heaven is also excellent, and is a bit further west on Commercial St.

Thanks for the info..
Never felt like we found a downtown even tho we happened on to Commercial street.
Are there any cobblestone streets in P-town because I have a vague memory of there being some.
And is it still a town with a reputation of non hetero types??

I did ask a person flor directions while the wife was saying no no you never get any good info. This guys attempt at giving directions was ridiculous.

Thanks for the info..
Never felt like we found a downtown even tho we happened on to Commercial street.
Are there any cobblestone streets in P-town because I have a vague memory of there being some.
And is it still a town with a reputation of non hetero types??

I did ask a person flor directions while the wife was saying no no you never get any good info. This guys attempt at giving directions was ridiculous.

Commercial St is the 'downtown' area; or as downtown as a seaside village can get.
There are no cobblestone streets in Provincetown, to my knowledge.
Provincetown is (and likely will remain) primarily a gay mecca. Since you asked, I assume you witnessed nothing outlandish while you were there ROFL

hi, sg14

when I walk the Eastham part of the CCRT w/ Mrs.RG, I always make eye-contact, smile & say a Good AM to bikers as they approach (especially if they are a wimmin) :D

if you remember a handsome older gentleman doing so -- that would have been me

if not, when you jumped off the CCRT at Locust St. to Salt Pond Rd to go to the Nat'l Seashore Visitor's Center across Rt. 6, you would have been w/in a few back-to-back TFB hail-mary distanced tosses of my residence

you may have sensed my nearby presence at that time since my aura of magnificence emanates quite strongly --- OTOH your biking shorts may have been riding up on ya

glad you enjoyed your trip

hi, sg14

when I walk the Eastham part of the CCRT w/ Mrs.RG, I always make eye-contact, smile & say a Good AM to bikers as they approach (especially if they are a wimmin) :D

if you remember a handsome older gentleman doing so -- that would have been me

if not, when you jumped off the CCRT at Locust St. to Salt Pond Rd to go to the Nat'l Seashore Visitor's Center across Rt. 6, you would have been w/in a few back-to-back TFB hail-mary distanced tosses of my residence

you may have sensed my nearby presence at that time since my aura of magnificence emanates quite strongly --- OTOH your biking shorts may have been riding up on ya

glad you enjoyed your trip

There goes the neighborhood :taptaptap:

I thought RG went into witness protection, little did I know he was flashing the wiminz down the cape...

just stop :harumph:

since my arrival here, property values have increased, the sun is warmer, the wimmin become more lovely :Lecture:

oh and liquor sales have sky-rocketed :archive:

And the shelves of Eastham Hardware need constant re-stocking :cuss:

just stop :harumph:

since my arrival here, property values have increased, the sun is warmer, the wimmin become more lovely :Lecture:

oh and liquor sales have sky-rocketed :archive:

And the reports of peeping Tom's have increased:coffee:

Since you all are such a good resource, are there any good campsites on the cape for tent camping?
By good I mean;
has shower facilities
Is cheap
Open in the spring and fall.
Won't kick out old guys.

FYI, We did rent our bikes from the Little Capistrano bike shop, very friendly.
They had a bike in there (1300$) with the giant tires for riding on the beach, but was for an individual (too expensive for the rental business).

Since you all are such a good resource, are there any good campsites on the cape for tent camping?
By good I mean;
has shower facilities
Is cheap
Open in the spring and fall.
Won't kick out old guys.

FYI, We did rent our bikes from the Little Capistrano bike shop, very friendly.
They had a bike in there (1300$) with the giant tires for riding on the beach, but was for an individual (too expensive for the rental business).

I'm pretty sure RG would let you camp in his backyard and shower indoors as long as you don't mind the peephole and webcam, but here's a link that might be down your alley. I haven't camped there, but my cousin has used a trailer there for years and likes it a lot. You might want to check out tripadvisor or a similar site to see if what they claim is accurate. It sounds pretty good, at least and the location would allow you to bike the lower cape easily from basecamp.

http://www.abcamping.com/abcapecod/tent.php

Back