Charger fan wishes the Pats good luck against the Jags

BoltsOwnU on 01-08-2008 at 06:23 PM said:
Mmm, BOU is not convinced he might have gone to the ground. He would have come down for sure, but whether he'd have been downed or moved again, it's hard to say. The Titans own running back snagged a 12 yard pickup in a similar situation.

As far as the helpful push, maybe, but even at his height, he simply had to reach. What prevented that was the Titan in his face at the peak of the leap. As he came down, regardless of his trajectory, the Titan fell away and he could put the ball forward as he did.

BOU is not saying the push wasn't there, though it was purely incidental. BOU simply says it wasn't relevant to the play's result.

Watch closely the next time you see a replay. The push was most certainly not "incidental". LdT is falling backwards. This isn't like the TN runner where he left hemmed in, but always had his balance about him. LdT was *falling down* and only maintained his balance because of his teammate's help.

It was a heady play by whoever #66 was.

Forward progress = Stopped

Play = Over

TD = Bogus

How ya like them apples BOU?

Wouldn't have made a difference in the game either way, but....

Re: Re: Charger fan wishes the Pats good luck against the Jags

#54 on 01-08-2008 at 01:32 PM said:
Thankee much, Thumper. I'll be rooting for the Chargers over the Colts because your #54, Cooper, played his college ball for the UMaine Black Bears.
Cooper has been a nice surprise this season. I knew he was good backup last season, but as a starter this season he's been outstanding, often leading the team in tackles.

Jammer on 01-08-2008 at 04:03 PM said:
Hi from a Chargers Fan... Good luck on your quest of 17-0 going on 19-0
Welcome back to you, too, Jammer!
Good luck in Indyland.

Jammer on 01-08-2008 at 04:03 PM said:
Hi from a Chargers Fan... Good luck on your quest of 17-0 going on 19-0

Hey Jammer remember you from last year! I don't remember if you were a nice troll or not but so far so good! :)

Thank you and good luck to your boys as well!

BoltsOwnU on 01-08-2008 at 03:41 PM said:
Actually BOU just looked that up too. He wonders how that wasn't applied to a host of scrum-like running plays we saw this season.
I've never seen it called, and I've seen the same thing happen on multiple occasions from several differant teams, including my own I believe (don't remember specifics)

pookie* on 01-08-2008 at 05:32 PM said:
Forward progress = Stopped

Play = Over

TD = Bogus

How ya like them apples BOU?

Wouldn't have made a difference in the game either way, but....

His mind is made up, Pook. There's no point in trying to confuse him with facts.

jaric on 01-08-2008 at 09:55 PM said:
I've never seen it called, and I've seen the same thing happen on multiple occasions from several differant teams, including my own I believe (don't remember specifics)

As best as I can remember, I've seen it called maybe twice. Very rare indeed.

Moebius on 01-09-2008 at 11:08 AM said:
As best as I can remember, I've seen it called maybe twice. Very rare indeed.

BOU went back and watched it again last night. BOU got a push as he fell against his lineman who was moving forward, so BOU retracts some of his sentiments above. At the game it looked different and BOU sits right on that goal line.

As for how someone in this thread sees makes a leap from that to trot out the tired old "classy" dig at LT however, is beyond stupid.

Thumper on 01-08-2008 at 09:28 AM said:
The Pats have been the best team this season, asterick or not. You should be heavily favored against the Jags, but they are a tough physical team. You should win, and I hope you do.

We're the underdogs against the Colts, and this will be a tough game for us. We may not beat them, but if we do, I want the Chargers to face the Pats next. Why? You guys have been a thorn in our side. You've been the better team in our last two meetings, winning a close one in last years' playoffs, and totally destroying us this season.

Why would I want the Chargers to play you again then? Because I want the Chargers to beat the best, and simply put, you guys are the best. I'm not saying we will beat you, but it's what I'd like to see.

So congrats on your season thus far. You're Pats have earned my respect for their play on the field. But to be the best, you've got to beat the best. So I hope we meet again. Until then, everyone stay well.

peace, Thump

I certainly respect your opinion, especially wanting to beat the so-called best. As a competitor, I love people who do not shy away from the person or team regarded as the best. However, you better hope your team isn't looking past Indianapolis because they want revenge on the Patriots.

First off, Indianapolis is a good team and Manning will not throw 6 INT's again, Sproles probably won't run back any kickoffs or punts, and the Colts defense will probably make Rivers look JV again. Their D-line is one of the best, even without Freeney, and the Chargers O-line has shown they can't consistently protect Philip Rivers.

Secondly, the Jags are a good team and, despite what the Patriots have done, anything can happen. There is no guarantee that the Pats will win the game (sorry Pats fans, its true). If LT, Merriman, and the gang are looking forward to the Pats and they don't advance past the Jags, then what?

Finally, I'd be concerned about the Chargers right now if I were you. They didn't look too good last week against a very overmatched team ravaged by injury and, frankly, a team that backed into the playoffs. Take away a fumble by Brown in the red zone and that dumb 15-yard penalty against Haynesworth, and the outcome of the game probably would have been different. I know the fact of the matter is that SD survived and won the game; however, they can't play like that against the Colts because they can do something that Tennessee couldn't . . . SCORE!

The bottom line is I wouldn't look forward to the Patriots just yet if I were you. If the Pats win Saturday night and SD is up by five touchdowns with 3 minutes left in the fourth quarter, then you can start licking your chops for a chance at the Patriots.:D

BoltsOwnU on 01-09-2008 at 01:28 PM said:
BOU went back and watched it again last night. BOU got a push as he fell against his lineman who was moving forward, so BOU retracts some of his sentiments above. At the game it looked different and BOU sits right on that goal line.

That was pretty much the only thing that sparked the memory of seeing that called once or twice. It's pretty obvious on the replay that without that push, LdT falls backwards, or at the very least has no forward momentum. In either case, that game was over about 8 minutes into the second half anyway.

BoltsOwnU on 01-08-2008 at 06:23 PM said:
the Titan fell away and he could put the ball forward as he did.

I think that was the key to this play. The push and the lack of forward momentum didn't really matter. The push will never be called and the refs always have a delayed whistle on forward monentum stops. IMO, the Titan LB (Bullock) failing to wrap up and falling away without bringing LT down allowed the TD. Nice initial stop but LT finished the play and Bullocks didn't. The Charger's Olineman who got a piece of Bullocks did a nice job.

Re: Re: Charger fan wishes the Pats good luck against the Jags

oldbagfan on 01-08-2008 at 09:34 AM said:
Yeah, well that's all very nice, but I would have read your post a bit more open-mindedly if you hadn't started it off with the "asterisk or not" shot. I don't think you'll find too may Pats fans on this site particularly interested in discussing the cheating cheaters thing at this late stage of the season. Thx for your well-wishes, but you won't make it as a good will ambassador if you start off your discussions by sticking your thumb in your listener's eye.
You mean kinda like this>)

The initial surge of the defense on the LT touchdown was incredible. They totally moved the line backward. Also, I also believe that LT's forward progress was stopped. With all that said, did you all see his vertical? I mean, the guy took off a good two or three yards BEFORE hitting the line of scrimmage and was what seemed to be 10 feet in the air. He is a truly gifted athlete. Someone his size should not be able to do some of the things he does.

krayziebone33 on 01-09-2008 at 01:40 PM said:
The initial surge of the defense on the LT touchdown was incredible. They totally moved the line backward. Also, I also believe that LT's forward progress was stopped. With all that said, did you all see his vertical? I mean, the guy took off a good two or three yards BEFORE hitting the line of scrimmage and was what seemed to be 10 feet in the air. He is a truly gifted athlete. Someone his size should not be able to do some of the things he does.

This is another sweet one:
motivator3577547.jpg

BoltsOwnU on 01-09-2008 at 04:54 PM said:
This is another sweet one:
motivator3577547.jpg

Man, thanks for posting these. Those are two amazing shots of an amazing (and classy:D ) athlete. I had to sneak that cheap shot in . . . I just couldn't help myself. Anyway, aside from his classy comments and his high-horse persona, he is an incredible football player. I used to think the comparisons between LT and Barry Sanders were ridiculous, but I'm not so sure anymore. I think LT has established himself as the more gifted athletically of the two. Only time and longevity will tell if he can surpass Barry's numbers on the way to, maybe, surpassing every other running back of all-time.

Back