ChatGPT, "Artificial Intelligence" Humanity and Beyond

Ya know, not in 100 percent agreement but too tired for all the necessary words to split hairs over minutiae.

So, just stop making sense. :)

And what the hell even existed pror to Netscape Navigator? Clearly the universe didn't previously exist. How could it without the possibly of proving its existence with an Alta Vista search?

Just pure craziness.

Goodnight and everyone is welcome for the 4 hours of peace. 😆

View: https://youtu.be/yCXT5Fs-V10

Oh my. Flashbacks. In the times long ago, Alta Vista was my engine of choice (with Lexus for work)..

Oh my. Flashbacks. In the times long ago, Alta Vista was my engine of choice (with Lexus for work)..
Yup. And before that, telnet. I telnetted like a MF. Actually, I telnetted mostly in the age of Netscape, but some in the crossover period.

Yup. And before that, telnet. I telnetted like a MF. Actually, I telnetted mostly in the age of Netscape, but some in the crossover period.
That actually reminded me of one of the biggest things I telnetted for: the free text-based mmrpg Medievia. I checked in, and against all odds, it appears to still exist and be a thriving community. Still text-based:

"You have probably played many games over the years. Like most people you may think that the problem is that the games keep growing in graphical detail, but not in gameplay. They are fun for a few days and then your remarkable human brain slowly filters out everything except the basic gameplay. You are eventually left unsatisfied. You always want better graphics so the next game can feel new and real again. You feel like a junky because you buy a new game, use it, and then feel the need for another as the current game lost its magic to you.

Click here if you have an open mind."

It’s Time…… but this person seems to be informed and legitimately thinks this AI stuff will wipe out humanity, and soon. He says it worth risking nuclear war to stop its development.
I agree with him.

Maybe this topic is political, but I do think it crosses party lines. I have some very good friends who are on the complete opposite end the political spectrum who very afraid of this. Perhaps this can unite people.
It’s also important that people who don’t normally think about politics start thinking about the negative consequences of AI.
Much like Covid, it hard to put stuff back in the box once it’s released. As a society and species we have not had a good enough debate on AI to release it into this world.

Last edited:

It’s Time…… but this person seems to be informed and legitimately thinks this AI stuff will wipe out humanity, and soon. He says it worth risking nuclear war to stop its development.
I agree with him.

Maybe this topic is political, but I do think it crosses party lines. I have some very good friends who are on the complete opposite end the political spectrum who very afraid of this. Perhaps this can unite people.
It’s also important that people who don’t normally think about politics start thinking about the negative consequences of AI.
Much like Covid, it hard to put stuff back in the box once it’s released. As a society and species we have not had a good enough debate on AI to release it into this world.

Good article.

However, I completely disagree with what I find to be a faulty premise therefore the conclusion.

Good article.

However, I completely disagree with what I find to be a faulty premise therefore the conclusion.
Which premise? Also, what are you willing to bet on you being right and him being wrong?

Yup. So you're first in line for neurolink, then? It's kind of like when you're driving, everyone who goes faster than you is a maniac and everyone who goes slower than you is an idiot who can't drive. Everyone who adopts slower than you is a Luddite (though in the same post you point out that everyone has smart phones!) and everyone who adopts sooner than you is irresponsible.

It's the tension among the different speeds that sets the pace.

But don't mistake it all for advancement. Motion and change is constant, but that doesn't mean it all moves us forward. Sometimes humanity is in frenetic motion, but it turns out it's just the tarantella.

I can't and won't speak for Tommy but I've been dreaming of the day a Neurlink type interface is available for most of my life.

Having Elon describe these first generation units as akin to an iPhone 1 I'll sit out this first round of trials.

This not directed at you Flagg.

Humanity always progresses. We always grow and move forward. Just look at our history. If we were gonna take the big species dirt nap we would have done so a thousand years ago.

It has been often at a snails pace and sometimes bogged down in the muck and mud for centuries yet move forward we always do and we always grow and get better.

It's in the nature of our distinctly unique in existence humanity. Faced with great adversity all other species die. We figure shit out. That is our greatest gift and greatest difference.

It is those who see nothing beyond the immediate moment and clutch their pearls at what is only see through concrete blinders suffer the most and make such progress so difficult. Not ever taking a step back and taking good look at our entire history.

It only takes a few intensely visionary individuals to move the world forward as most just scream "That just can't be the way, I don't like it". Fortunately for all of us it's done all the time.

Count me as a paying member, paid with my blood to be one individual moving the world forward while so many just sit round and scream at the sky which cares not at all about those screams nor can it even hear them.

Last edited:
Which premise? Also, what are you willing to bet on you being right and him being wrong?

My life.

It's my greatest value and i rarely gamble. Gambling is a fools endeavor for it means going in blind when you throw your money down.

That actually reminded me of one of the biggest things I telnetted for: the free text-based mmrpg Medievia. I checked in, and against all odds, it appears to still exist and be a thriving community. Still text-based:

"You have probably played many games over the years. Like most people you may think that the problem is that the games keep growing in graphical detail, but not in gameplay. They are fun for a few days and then your remarkable human brain slowly filters out everything except the basic gameplay. You are eventually left unsatisfied. You always want better graphics so the next game can feel new and real again. You feel like a junky because you buy a new game, use it, and then feel the need for another as the current game lost its magic to you.

Click here if you have an open mind."

Those things, some of them, were a ton of fun to play and that quote is entirely accurate for me. I used to do all kinds of games on my old Amiga 500, but I've never really been
happy with the ones I've tried recently. All sizzle and very little steak.

I once had a text-based game called Leather Goddesses of Phobos, which wasn't nearly as sleazy as it sounds. It came with a "scratch n' sniff" card which you were
supposed to use when prompted during game situations. And for anybody wondering -- no, there wasn't.

Those things, some of them, were a ton of fun to play and that quote is entirely accurate for me. I used to do all kinds of games on my old Amiga 500, but I've never really been

I once had a text-based game called Leather Goddesses of Phobos, which wasn't nearly as sleazy as it sounds. It came with a "scratch n' sniff" card which you were
supposed to use when prompted during game situations. And for anybody wondering -- no, there wasn't.
I've played it, along with Zork and some other text games. There are some fantastic ones, and some fantastic newer games as well, that have amazing storytelling underneath the hood of the sizzle. When I finished Planescape: Torment, for example, I cried like I had when reading Where The Red Fern Grows as a kid. The story, and telling of the story, was that good and hit close to home. That's some 25 years old now, but I've heard similar reports of several more recent games.

The first and only text based game I played was Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy on an IBM PC Jr back in the Stoneage.

Wow!

But what’s the premise?

The premise from me has always been that human beings are not shit regardless of how many view us that way.

It was in the post just above my last one.

Through all the horrible times humanity has suffered at our own hands we still got better. Still learned, grew and progressed.

Every new thought and creation from the time of the cave has been seen by the blind and malevolent as a horror, yet they never are. Nuclear energy and weapons and mutually assured destruction ring a bell to anyone?

We are the creators of everything which serves to further our lives, each of us individually.

Every step of the way it's those of us who think so horribly poorly about man's nature who suffer the most. It's they who fight against every new thought, every creation making our progress all that much more difficult.

It's that kind of thinking that ought to be a self fulfilling prophecy. Say it enough and surround everyone with such a thought and it is fully within the realm of possibility that mankind will believe it and destroy ourselves.

But we don't, consider the why of it.

Just one of the myriad of moments in our history, just one with regional and emotional ties for us here.

This is not an exception, it's the rule found in humanitys unique existence, our nature as volitional rational beings. Volitional meaning by choice.

"Despite the prognostications of doom, the Patriots have shown up and will take the field."

Gil Santos, 2001 AFC Championship Pregame

View: https://youtu.be/Rpq7LITJQTM

Last edited:

I kinda miss the pure uncurated Alta Vista search response links.

A great deal of effort to sift through them and find the gold you were looking for. But it was pure, unadulterated, and as a great learning consequence came a deep understanding that words mean things and words spoken in any way, put together will deliver the direct results of them. If you get frustrated then a consideration of how you stated them is required

The premise from me has always been that human beings are not shit regardless of how many view us that way.

It was in the post just above my last one.

Through all the horrible times humanity has suffered at our own hands we still got better. Still learned, grew and progressed.

Every new thought and creation from the time of the cave has been seen by the blind and malevolent as a horror, yet they never are. Nuclear energy and weapons and mutually assured destruction ring a bell to anyone?

We are the creators of everything which serves to further our lives, each of us individually.

Every step of the way it's those of use who think so many horribly poorly about man's nature who suffer the most. It's they who fight against every new thought, every creation making our progress all that much more difficult.

It's that kind of thinking that ought to be a self fulfilling prophecy. Say it enough and surround everyone with such a thought and it is fully within the realm of possibility that mankind will believe it and destroy ourselves.

But we don't, consider the why of it.

Just one of the myriad of moments in our history, just one with regional and emotional ties for us here.

This is not an exception, it's the rule found in humanitys unique existence, our nature as volitional rational beings. Volitional meaning by choice.

"Despite the prognostications of doom, the Patriots have shown up and will take the field."

Gil Santos, 2001 AFC Championship Pregame

View: https://youtu.be/Rpq7LITJQTM

I don't think that was a premise of the article you were arguing against.

I kinda miss the pure uncurated Alta Vista search response links.

A great deal of effort to sift through them and find the gold you were looking for. But it was pure, unadulterated, and as a great learning consequence came a deep understanding that words mean things and words spoken in any way, put together will deliver the direct results of them. If you get frustrated then a consideration of how you stated them is required
It was a great platform for mastering your search skills. I think first thing I learned was recognizing the irrelevant. Paraphrasing Sherlock, If you eliminate all the irrelevant, all that're left are relevant.

Back