Cheating in Sports

patfan64

Generally Aware
Reaction score
I realize that this might be a sore subject but the Astros situation got me thinking about where they fit in top scandals in sports history.

The investigation is not over yet but I saw the home and away splits from 2017 yesterday and if the stats are accurate then it doesn't look good for them. I read this morning that Alex Cora may even be tied to it.

Check this list out. I wasn't aware of a lot of these.

https://www.stadiumtalk.com/s/biggest-cheaters-sports-history-0144ec9aaa36448b

This Astros one is probably going to be the biggest in team sports when it's all said and done. I think the Steelers steroid scandal in the 70's is up there as well.

This Astros one is probably going to be the biggest in team sports when it's all said and done. I think the Steelers steroid scandal in the 70's is up there as well.
BRoncos beating the cap with Elway is up there - two SB wins

Cora is tied in but who knows

look at how even the sox were home and away in 2018

Code:
AL East	W	L	Pct.	      GB	Home	Road
Boston Red Sox	108	54	0.667	—	57–24	51–30

I don't think those splits really implicate Cora. A six-game swing isn't that big. He probably did it, but that's going to be tough to prove.

I don't think those splits really implicate Cora. A six-game swing isn't that big. He probably did it, but that's going to be tough to prove.
that was my point, to even to accuse them

but the Patriots on the list PF64 posted is total BS, they fail to mention Mark Henderson, the only true Patriot mistake - the rest are BS.

I'm probably on an island with this opinion but I don't think the Astros thing is even that big of a scandal. Signal stealing has been a part of baseball since signals were invented. They took it to another level it sounds like and should be punished for it given the commish's warning(lose draft pick(s)), but I just don't think it's all that big a deal.

New England Patriots

In the current era of the NFL, the New England Patriots reign supreme as the league’s best winners and worst cheaters. You can’t deny five Super Bowl wins since 2001, and you can’t deny Spygate, Deflategate and the litany of other controversies surrounding the team trying to get a competitive advantage.

While most are aware of the two "gates," there are also other cases of cheating such as the team messing with the headsets of opponents during games at Gillette Stadium. Mike Tomlin of the Steelers said his team once got the Patriots’ radio broadcast in their headsets during an entire first half.

Additionally, many opponents are wary of what they say within the visitor locker room at Gillette Stadium. Peyton Manning reportedly avoided discussing strategy when playing in Foxborough because he feared the locker rooms were bugged.

----

There's so many things wrong about this...where do you start?

New England Patriots

In the current era of the NFL, the New England Patriots reign supreme as the league’s best winners and worst cheaters. You can’t deny five Super Bowl wins since 2001, and you can’t deny Spygate, Deflategate and the litany of other controversies surrounding the team trying to get a competitive advantage.

While most are aware of the two "gates," there are also other cases of cheating such as the team messing with the headsets of opponents during games at Gillette Stadium. Mike Tomlin of the Steelers said his team once got the Patriots’ radio broadcast in their headsets during an entire first half.

Additionally, many opponents are wary of what they say within the visitor locker room at Gillette Stadium. Peyton Manning reportedly avoided discussing strategy when playing in Foxborough because he feared the locker rooms were bugged.

----

There's so many things wrong about this...where do you start?
It is lazy media pushing their misconceptions until the end. Liy until you believe it yourself.

only the snow plow was a bigdeal, they rest were nothing but bullshit.

that was my point, to even to accuse them

but the Patriots on the list PF64 posted is total BS, they fail to mention Mark Henderson, the only true Patriot mistake - the rest are BS.

I'm of the opinion that BB said FU to the league for issuing a memo about taping signals. He claims to have misunderstood and it appears the commish believed him. Still lost draft picks and got fined.

Deflategate was bullshit. People still think that the Tuck Rule was the Pats cheating. Also, the Jessie James non-touchdown call a couple years ago was also considered cheating by the Pats.

It is lazy media pushing their misconceptions until the end. Liy until you believe it yourself.

only the snow plow was a bigdeal, they rest were nothing but bullshit.

It wasn't illegal at the time and the Dolphins were asked if they wanted the snow plow to clear a spot for a kick later in the game but Shula refused.

I'm also surprised the St Louis Cardinals hacking on the Houston Astros isn't on that list.

Roughly 20 months ago, news got out the FBI and Justice Department were investigating the St. Louis Cardinals for hacking into the internal database of the Houston Astros. Former Cardinals scouting director Chris Correa was sentenced to 46 months in prison last July for what amounted to 12 counts of corporate espionage.

Monday afternoon, Major League Baseball announced it had concluded its investigation into the hacking scandal. The Cardinals have been hit with the following penalties from commissioner Rob Manfred:

1. A $2 million payment to the Astros, which must be paid within 30 days.
  2. The Cardinals' two highest picks in the 2017 draft are being awarded to the Astros.
  3. Correa has been placed on the permanently ineligible list. He's banned from baseball.

The Cardinals surrendered their first-round pick to sign qualified free agent Dexter Fowler earlier this offseason, which means their second- and third-round picks will go to Houston. Those are the 56th and 75th overall selections.

Back