Colts are resting....

FallingAlice

V'Ger
Reaction score
...Because Tony Dungy wants them to have "fresh legs." Thinks that, at this point, they can "have too much preparation."

Dungy gave his players three full days off.

For Belichick, it's "full speed ahead."

There are pros and cons to both approaches here, but it's concerned me that given the tremendously physical nature of the Bolts game, along with all the travel, that the Patriots may be more physically depleted than Indy.

This may have more to do with the fact that The Colts had a Saturday game. Probably won't have a huge effect, but if we (the Colts) lose on Sunday, fans, media, etc. will certainly point to this as a huge, huge reason why.

Yeah, its deffinately a double edged sword...

On one hand he may have his Colts rested and ready, but on the other hand, they may end up a bit unprepared.

Just have to wait and see I guess

Well history has shown that Bellichick's strategy has always been more successful than Dungy's, so I'm not worried. :p

I think this is a grave mistake on Dungy's part. I can see Belichick mentioning this on game day to the Pats about how "the Colts were so worried about the Pats they took an extra day off!"
And spare me with fresh legs. A little walk through and film work wouldn't kill anybody. Plus, any change in people's expected schedule is bound to wreak at least a little havoc in their mindset.

There are shades of gray here, I'm sure. While the Colts have "three days off", I'm sure they're studying; while the Pats may be "full steam ahead", I'm sure there are pads-and-shells practices and walk-throughs.

Bottom line, both of these teams are pretty healthy right now. Exceptions (Sanders, Addai, Harrison) probably won't practice much either way, but for the most part I don't think there were any injuries this past weekend. It's probably the healthiest Pats team I can remember for this point in time.

I don't think practicing or not practicing will have as much of an effect as will the gameplans and the execution.

And don't forget that besides the Colts playing on Saturday and the Pats on Sunday, the Pats had to fly home from the west coast after (for them) a night game.

Whoever wants it most works for it.

I think all this does is give them more time to stew and think too much about what's coming this weekend. If they were practicing they'd be busy trying to make sure they don't lose. Resting all they can do is psych themselves out instead of being occupied with something usefull.

"3 days off" just means that the players don't go through official practices. They are still studying film, they are still seeing the trainer, they are still lifting if they want to.

We played on Saturday, so the extra day off means almost nothing. Do you guys really think our players are sitting at home and doing nothing because Dungy said so? The time off is "official."

This is no big deal.

tmack on 01-17-2007 at 09:55 PM said:
"3 days off" just means that the players don't go through official practices. They are still studying film, they are still seeing the trainer, they are still lifting if they want to.

We played on Saturday, so the extra day off means almost nothing. Do you guys really think our players are sitting at home and doing nothing because Dungy said so? The time off is "official."

This is no big deal.
You're probably right, but I'm still going to use it as a reason to convince myself that this game is in the bag for the Pats.

I just want the Pats to be prepared and ready for the game. Whatever it takes.

May not make much of a difference, but you guys played the day after us, and then had to fly for at least 4 hours back to Boston.

Not much time off if any, and then you will have to go back on the road with at least a 2 hour flight to Indy.

Anyone would be somewhat tired after that grueling game vs. San Diego.

Although I am positive your team will still be playing with toughness and guts as always, the Pats might be a little less rested than the Colts.

Like I said before though, it may not make a difference though.

Back