Come on Fort Wayne, support your Baals!

WisColtFan7

Oh, you didn't know?
Reaction score
FORT WAYNE, Ind. – A former Indiana mayor who won four terms in the 1930s and 1950s is proving less popular with modern-day city leaders, who say they probably won't name a new government center for him because of the jokes his moniker could inspire.
Harry Baals is the runaway favorite in online voting to name the new building in Fort Wayne, about 120 miles northeast of Indianapolis. But Deputy Mayor Beth Malloy said that probably won't be enough to put the name of the city's longest-tenured mayor on the center.
The issue is pronunciation. The former mayor pronounced his last name "balls." His descendants have since changed it to "bales."
Supporters said it's unfair that the former mayor can't be recognized simply because his name makes some people snicker. But opponents fear that naming the center after Baals would make Fort Wayne the target of late-night television jokes.
"We realize that while Harry Baals was a respected mayor, not everyone outside of Fort Wayne will know that," Malloy said Tuesday in a statement to The Associated Press. "We wanted to pick something that would reflect our pride in our community beyond the boundaries of Fort Wayne."
An online site taking suggestions for names showed more than 1,000 votes Tuesday for the Harry Baals Government Center. That's more than three times the votes received by the closest contender.
Jim Baals, 51, who has lived in the city his entire life, said it's unfortunate that his great-uncle's name won't be considered for the building.
"Harry served four terms and was a wonderful mayor. I don't know what the problem is," he said. "I understand people are going to poke fun at it. That's OK. I've lived with that name for 51 years now and I've gotten through it. I think everybody else can, too."
City spokesman Frank Suarez said the city has no regrets about opening the name selection up to people online.
"It is a new way of reaching out to the community," he said. "The fact that 17,000 votes have come in tell us the buzz created by this is really good. When was the last time somebody could say they had fun with their government? We've had fun with this."
Suarez told The Journal Gazette that Mayor Tom Henry will meet with local groups and choose from up to 10 finalists from the suggestions submitted. Online voting ends Friday.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110208...0ZV9zdW1tYXJ5X2xpc3QEc2xrA25vam9rZWV4LW1heQ--

Why not go with "Harold" or "Harrison", or whatever this "Harry" is the short form of?

This is where my mind went immediately as well. You're an RPG nerd. Further, since I haven't ever seen Baal mentioned in a CRPG, you might even be an old school pen and paper RPG nerd like me.

Unless you're a Bible nerd, which I doubt. Neat thing about that is that in the Bible they use the plural - "the Baals and the Asteroth". You'd think that in the early 20th century that would have made it tougher toi win.

On a side note, being ruled by the Baals in its formative modern years helps to explain wha( is creepy and weird about Ft. Wayne.

I wonder if he or a relative was the mayor of Gary during the period when the whole idea of that town went awry?
Posted via Mobile Device

This is where my mind went immediately as well. You're an RPG nerd. Further, since I haven't ever seen Baal mentioned in a CRPG, you might even be an old school pen and paper RPG nerd like me.

Unless you're a Bible nerd, which I doubt. Neat thing about that is that in the Bible they use the plural - "the Baals and the Asteroth". You'd think that in the early 20th century that would have made it tougher toi win.

On a side note, being ruled by the Baals in its formative modern years helps to explain wha( is creepy and weird about Ft. Wayne.

I wonder if he or a relative was the mayor of Gary during the period when the whole idea of that town went awry?
Posted via Mobile Device
Diablo 2. Baal is the Lord of Terror.

not to be the douche who uins the "fun with funny names" game but its actually pronounced like "Bales"

does anyone remember when Dick Sweat was running for office in New Hampshire? That sh!t was classic. You know his adviser told him to go with Dick instead of Richard simply for the buffoons sitting in a bar or where ever and hearing his name and saying "I'm voting for DICK SWEAT!!!!!"

not to be the douche who uins the "fun with funny names" game but its actually pronounced like "Bales"
does anyone remember when Dick Sweat was running for office in New Hampshire? That sh!t was classic. You know his adviser told him to go with Dick instead of Richard simply for the buffoons sitting in a bar or where ever and hearing his name and saying "I'm voting for DICK SWEAT!!!!!"

Sorry according to a video clip I saw Harr BAALS(prounounced BALLS) once called a local reporter and corrected him telling him it was "balls".:shrug:

Back