Damon and Manny sign with the Rays

Jennings is Crawford's replacement. Maybe they DH Manning and slowly work Jennings in by splitting time with Damon, I don't know.

Jennings is Crawford's replacement. Maybe they DH Manning and slowly work Jennings in by splitting time with Damon, I don't know.

The ESPN article has Damon playing LF. Of course, I guess he could play RF with Jennings playing LF, but Damon has nowhere near the arm for RF. That'd be an unmitigated disaster. They could also try to move Jennings to RF, but he'd be the man with the most range in the position where the least amount of range is traditionally needed.

Long story short, I have no idea what the hell the Rays are thinking in doing this. Actually, I do. They're trying to stick it to the Red Sox. I honestly believe that.

Maybe it's just me, but I thought these were decent moves by the Rays.

Maybe it's just me, but I thought these were decent moves by the Rays.
I don't disagree, if anything, it gives them depth over the course of the season - Damon, while maybe not a starter in the OF, can spell guys, still steal bases, and hit the ball. Manny can play DH until his vagina hurts, get spelled by Damon, take a few days off for some therapeutic old man beating, and come back reinvigorated.

I don't disagree, if anything, it gives them depth over the course of the season - Damon, while maybe not a starter in the OF, can spell guys, still steal bases, and hit the ball. Manny can play DH until his vagina hurts, get spelled by Damon, take a few days off for some therapeutic old man beating, and come back reinvigorated.

While this isn't a bad post, do note that Damon only has 12 and 11 steals in the last two years respectively. He's 37 now, age is likely catching up with him.

While this isn't a bad post, do note that Damon only has 12 and 11 steals in the last two years respectively. He's 37 now, age is likely catching up with him.
Which is why I think he could be effective as a utility OF who spells people, keeps his legs fresher, and gives them a little edge off the bench.

Back