Damon and Vinatieri

Splunge52

Reaction score
After hearing the reaction from fans at Fenway to the return of Damon as a Yankee, I was wondering how fans at Foxboro will treat Adam upon is return in a Colts uniform.

Is it apples and oranges?

Vinatieri didn't even leave for more money. At least Damon had a huge offer.

Vinatieri left because he was pissed that they let Flutie get one of his extra points, and because they franchised him in previous years.

I think Vinatieri will get an overwhelming round of applause when he first takes the field. And if he misses his first FG attempt, he'll get an even louder cheer, LOL.

thomas144 said:
Vinatieri didn't even leave for more money. At least Damon had a huge offer.

Vinatieri left because he was pissed that they let Flutie get one of his extra points, and because they franchised him in previous years.

Actually, AV left because Pioli & BB didn't make him an offer to stay.

THEY %$cked up and now it appears they know it.

Drafting a PK in the 4th round!!eeek

dashoe said:

7 million or a 4th round pick? Hmm tough one. :rolleyes:

I only heard the beginning of last night's game on the radio....now I have no idea what they said or showed on TV, but Joe & Jerry said the fans in center field were throwing $1 bills at Damon.

I'm sure Gillette folks would love to do the same but they can't get close enough. :)

Honestly, nothing comes close to the Sox/Stinkees rivalry so I expect less hostility at Gillette for Adam.

dashoe said:

Actually, dip $hit, he left because they respected AV's wishes by not franchising him. He had numerous opportunities to stay right here in NE: Ford, Papa Ginos, and Bernie & Phyl's, just to name a few endorsements. Endorsements that easily would have exceed the money in Indy. So on the contrary, he ***ked up, not the Patriots because that's additional money he would have received indirectly from the Patriots. He's not going to get the amount of endorsement money in "Cow town USA" as he did here in Boston. Also heard a report that he wanted to kick indoors to finish his career. Your Vanderdrunk idiot kicker choked, chip shot FG, at home in a big playoff game, HA! Therefore, they went out and got a real kicker in AV. Don't you have homework?

Just to educate you a little, AV was an UDFA. The Patriots are virutally in the same situation today as they were 10 years ago. Not saying this PK they drafted is going to turn out to be AV, but you never know how good he is going to be until he gets out there and kicks.

You continuously poke fun at this 4th round pick. This is at least the 2nd time I've seen you criticize this move. Were you laughing at the Jets last year for taking Mike Nugent in the 2nd round, or the Raiders for taking Janikowski IN THE 1st ROUND? Your act is getting real tired around here.

I urge you mods to assclown this geek once and for all. I've only read 1 good post from this clown.

Splunge52 said:
After hearing the reaction from fans at Fenway to the return of Damon as a Yankee, I was wondering how fans at Foxboro will treat Adam upon is return in a Colts uniform.

Is it apples and oranges?

Damon would have gotten applause from me in his 1st bat. After that, he is now an arch enemy, let the booing begin.

AV gets similar treatment. I wouldn't venture to say that the Colts are the Pats arch enemy, but it seems to be heading in that direction.

I would call it apples and oranges in the sense of the respective team changes, but for the reasons why they left --> money and security. Standard professional sports reasons. Also, the Sox and Pats were looking to move in a different direction with youth. Both have done just that.

Patriots4ever said:
Actually, dip $hit, he left because they respected AV's wishes by not franchising him. He had numerous opportunities to stay right here in NE: Ford, Papa Ginos, and Bernie & Phyl's, just to name a few endorsements. Endorsements that easily would have exceed the money in Indy. So on the contrary, he ***ked up, not the Patriots because that's additional money he would have received indirectly from the Patriots. He's not going to get the amount of endorsement money in "Cow town USA" as he did here in Boston. Also heard a report that he wanted to kick indoors to finish his career. Your Vanderdrunk idiot kicker choked, chip shot FG, at home in a big playoff game, HA! Therefore, they went out and got a real kicker in AV. Don't you have homework?

Just to educate you a little, AV was an UDFA. The Patriots are virutally in the same situation today as they were 10 years ago. Not saying this PK they drafted is going to turn out to be AV, but you never know how good he is going to be until he gets out there and kicks.

You continuously poke fun at this 4th round pick. This is at least the 2nd time I've seen you criticize this move. Were you laughing at the Jets last year for taking Mike Nugent in the 2nd round, or the Raiders for taking Janikowski IN THE 1st ROUND? Your act is getting real tired around here.

I urge you mods to assclown this geek once and for all. I've only read 1 good post from this clown.

Respect his wishes? HAHAHA!! They were trying to sign him on the cheap with nothing but DISrespect for a guy who won 3 SB's with his leg.

Continually poke fun at your 4th rd pick? This was the first time I have ever mentioned it. Merely pointing out that they must be desperate to find a replacement to AV.

And yes, I did laugh at the Raiders for taking Janikowski in the first round and i'm still laughing.

dashoe said:
Respect his wishes? HAHAHA!! They were trying to sign him on the cheap with nothing but DISrespect for a guy who won 3 SB's with his leg.
You may be on to something about the lack of respect. Maybe if Belichick had given AV a few more hugs, he would have felt more loved and respected. Do you think Belichick should consider being a little more like Dick Vermeil.
________
PowerTech engine

dashoe said:

Continually poke fun at your 4th rd pick? This was the first time I have ever mentioned it. Merely pointing out that they must be desperate to find a replacement to AV.

And yes, I did laugh at the Raiders for taking Janikowski in the first round and i'm still laughing.

Yup those kickers are worth millions of dollars. :rolleyes:

Good luck with the cap disaster once you sign Freeney next year. :D

Meh...

Don't worry about anything Dashoe says, he is just scared because the Colts window of opportunity has closed and he knows it.

dashoe said:

Dashoe-head, i see you still have 'DAHORSE_SHOE' embedded in your skull. AV was immature in handling the situation. NE paid AV ~2.5 mill /year for the last 3 years. You calling that cheap?

Every time you post its apparent that you just flat out hate the mighty :patriots: and let it drive your silly comments on this board.

How's the Patriots Envy treating all you Colt Fans lately? I see some of your breathren are all bent because we selected a RB w/our 21 pick, and did not go defense. Our defense looked pretty good last 1/2 of season, don't you think? Oops, what would you know about defense?

BB is thinking who needs AV when your up by 3 TDs w/2 minutes to go?

dashoe said:

That's right, they respected his wishes to not be franchised. How many players in the NFL want to be franchished? Answer: none. They want long term contracts with large signing bonuses and security. You're really starting to show your ignorance. The Pats just weren't willing to pay him that kind of money. They are not going to pay big money to a player for what they've already done in the past. Call it a respect issue, whatever you want. I guess that's the main difference between your team and mine.

But the fact remains is that he will be missed here, and when he retires, he will be remembered as a Patriot, and will go into the HOF as a Patriot. That is where AV felt disrespected, so yes, your claim is somewhat accurate, and I stress somewhat. The Colts gave him more years and a bigger signing bonus. Good luck.

Pretty good pickup considering a few months ago most Colt fans were arguing how much better Vanderdrunk was than Vinatieri.

Desperate isn't the word you are looking for. Teams lose players on a yearly basis. This is no different. I guarantee you that the Patriots will have a kicker come August.

Benign Despot said:
I thought we all agreed that you all would refrain from quoting douch-ue so I don't have to be subjected to his verbal diarreah

Sorry, but there are times where he needs to be set straight. Today was one of those days.

AV didn't want to be franchised: this is true. However, IIRC, on his way out of town AV also said he would've accepted and played with the franchise tag in 2006. Also, IIRC, the Pats front office has said that paying AV at the franchise tag level ($3MM+) was not the financially prudent thing to do. So I tend to believe the Pats did fudge the Vinatieri signing to tell you the truth.

Patriots4ever, you say, "Just to educate you a little, AV was an UDFA. The Patriots are virutally in the same situation today as they were 10 years ago. Not saying this PK they drafted is going to turn out to be AV, but you never know how good he is going to be until he gets out there and kicks." I agree with you on all counts, but one: the Pats are a perennial SB contender now, unlike 10 years ago. If Gostkowski (who still needs to beat out Gramatica for a spot, lest we forget) blows a couple field goals that cost this team HFA or eliminates them in the playoffs b/c he chokes, everyone will probably re-evaluate the need to sign a proven, veteran kicker. I guess only time can be the judge of that one....I personally don't feel it was worth the risk to let him hit the market unless the Pats knew something health-wise that we still don't.

Lastly, the Janikowski pick was a joke and still is. Heck, their 2nd round pick that year, Jerry Porter, has been more valuable to the team. Shaun Alexander was picked two spots after Janikowski eeek .

Back