Do the Pats need a Defensive Coordinator?

Nice find BOR!
I agree with what Tedy said. Interesting about how BP did the same to BB...had him be DC w/o the title. Didn't know that.
What Reiss said (he trusts MP more so he's giving him Meriweather and Chung to coach) struck me as a little off.

What Reiss said (he trusts MP more so he's giving him Meriweather and Chung to coach) struck me as a little off.
Actually I think it's spot on. Meriweather hasn't been playing as consistently as he should. Chung is still developing. Page is new. Brown is new. Ventrone is new. Barrett is new. With the exception of Sanders this is a young and talented group which has not been playing as well as could be expected. I think Patricia is being given the assignment to bring them up to speed and turn them into a cohesive weapon which fits into the overall scheme ... which oddly enough will be heavily choreographed by their position coach who is the DC-in-training.

I look for improved Safety play if the NFL/NFLPA/8th Circuit/and a barge load of annoying lawyer-types ever get things to work again.

Actually I think it's spot on. Meriweather hasn't been playing as consistently as he should. Chung is still developing. Page is new. Brown is new. Ventrone is new. Barrett is new. With the exception of Sanders this is a young and talented group which has not been playing as well as could be expected. I think Patricia is being given the assignment to bring them up to speed and turn them into a cohesive weapon which fits into the overall scheme ... which oddly enough will be heavily choreographed by their position coach who is the DC-in-training.

I look for improved Safety play if the NFL/NFLPA/8th Circuit/and a barge load of annoying lawyer-types ever get things to work again.

I think this is spot on, and I'm very excited to see what Mike Patricia can do with all the talent in the Pats' secondary. If he can get them to play up to their talent level the Pats' D should be very, very good, especially with the additions of Ty Warren and Marcus Stroud and hopefully some DL/OLB studs from the draft.

Yes. They also need an offensive coordinator.

I get that Belichick prefers the "lean and mean" approach, and really only wants "his guys" (the Dom Capers Experience is a good example as to why), but I'd like to see a few more coaches just so everyone's burden is a little lighter.

I get that Belichick prefers the "lean and mean" approach, and really only wants "his guys" (the Dom Capers Experience is a good example as to why), but I'd like to see a few more coaches just so everyone's burden is a little lighter.

They have an OC. Bill O'Brien received the official title. As for DC, I think it's highly probable that Mike Patricia will receive the official title after next year.

One benefit to delaying giving these guys the official designation - the Pats get to keep them for one more year before some other team comes in and hires them away, as was the case with Charlie, Romeo, Mangina and Josh McD.

Good point about the 'burden'. We always hear how 'complicated' the Pats defense and offense is, but the last few playoff games, it seems if the other team figures out what to do about it, we have no answer. It would be nice to see more 'in the game' planning and not look like we can't react during a game to the other team's scheming. Less burden (more people involved) may help that. JMO.

Back