Does anyone else use Google News as their homepage?

Mark_Henderson

very stable genius
Reaction score
And are you frustrated with the new version that they rolled out last night? I used to be able to see like 40 stories on one computer screen, from a wide variety of sources. Now they've reformatted it for mobile devices and it's a PITA on a PC to scroll and scroll and still not see all of what was densely packed in on a single screenshot.

There's a ton of complaints about it in Google forums, but odds are the change is here to stay and I'm looking for a replacement.

For what it's worth, old version vs. new version. It's not the end of the world, I just really preferred the way it was before.

Try this link and see if it is any different:

https://news.google.ca/?edchanged=1&ned=us

Thanks, but that's still the same for me. They have a whole section at the top of the page on the new look they've implemented and there's thousands of complaints about it in the forums. I think maybe the new version hasn't been implemented yet where you accessed it. It seems clear from the forum comments that there's no way to retain the "classic" format.

Yeah that was the only thing I found it quick searching. Later comments implied it only worked if you were not logged in and/or did not use Chrome.

I have not used it in years, but Yahoo used to have a VERY customizable page for news and other things that I used to use every day at https://my.yahoo.com/

Might be worth seeing if you can customize that to suit your needs.

LOL.

My Yahoo still remembers me, and still works for a lot of things I set up, but yeah, you can customize content, change themes, choose your sources, etc...

And are you frustrated with the new version that they rolled out last night? I used to be able to see like 40 stories on one computer screen, from a wide variety of sources. Now they've reformatted it for mobile devices and it's a PITA on a PC to scroll and scroll and still not see all of what was densely packed in on a single screenshot.

There's a ton of complaints about it in Google forums, but odds are the change is here to stay and I'm looking for a replacement.

I've moved to Drudge. It's kinda like google was.

And I'm sure you'd love it. :coffee:

Cheers

Always figured you for a HuffPo man.

Always figured you for a HuffPo man.

Nah, I like seeing articles from across the spectrum to see what's being said. The layout that they killed was good because you could see the first few sentences of a lot of the articles in one screenshot. I am more likely to read the Washington Post/NY Times articles, but not always.

I use yahoo specifically because I also have a yahoo email account that I use. The news is far too left leaning for me but I suffer through it.

Drudge is good.

The new layout is garbage. Strictly setup for phones and tablets. The only good part is that I can block news sources like Fox News and CNN again.

Back