Donte Stallworth up for trade???

Bacdoc

Reaction score
From Profootballtalk.com Sometimes the rumors on this site are a little out there, but if this were true, I'd love to see the Pats jump at it. I think he'd do pretty well on the other side of Branch with Brady throwing to him.

SAINTS SHOPPING STALLWORTH

A league source tells us that the New Orleans Saints currently are shopping former first-round receiver Donte' Stallworth.

Stallworth was the thirteenth overall selection in the 2002 draft. He is under contract through 2007, with base salaries of $1.92 million and $545,000 in the final seasons of his rookie deal. We're told, however, that he has met the trigger for voiding the final year of the deal, making him a free agent after the 2006 season.

The former Tennessee star quietly had his best season in 2005, with 70 catches for 945 yards and seven touchdowns. But he has still fallen far short of the pre-draft hype that surrounded him four years ago.

With Stallworth signed through 2006 only, anyone who trades for him will also need to sign him to an extension. Otherwise, the draft pick or player who is sacrificed will result in a one-year rental of Stallworth.

If the Saints move Stallworth, they'll have a significant hole to fill in the starting lineup. Chris Horn has been signed in the offseason, but the team surely would have to go back to the free-agent pool (possibly in search of some post-June 1 cuts) or draft a guy who can make the kind of impact right out of the gates that most folks expected of Stallworth's NFL career.

The fact that the Saints are shopping a starter without really much in reserve should tell you something. I know he was arrested in Miami last month and charged with "resisting" for refusing to shut his car off or get off his cellphone, so that doesn't bode well for us picking him up.

However, I'm pretty sure that BB was looking at him closely in the draft a few years back. There were persistent rumors about our staff being high on him, but apparently he has a bit of dog in him.

Pure, unabashed conjecture: Lelie to N.O.; Stallworth to New England; Graham to Denver.

http://www.kffl.com/player/622/NFL
Broncos | Team close to trading Lelie
Tue, 6 Jun 2006 18:31:03 -0700

Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports the Denver Broncos could be getting closer to trading disgruntled WR Ashley Lelie. A trade could be wrapped up within the next week that would be a three-team deal and land Denver a tight end. A number of teams have shown renewed interest this week, according to one person close to the talks, and Lelie is desperate to get out of Denver, where he feels he cannot be the No. 1 wide receiver. The team that trades for Lelie is going to want to try to sign him to an extension, as his contract is scheduled to expire after this season.

---------------------------------------------

And if it happens (probably about a .0001% chance), you heard it here first. ;)

On a more serious note: I get the feeling the Pats are not done horse trading this offseason, especially if Branch even hints at holding out.

I don't see the Pats trading Graham--who, despite his lack of production catching, is a solid blocker--for a disgruntled problem-child WR.

Now, since it IS the Saints, after all... if the Pats can fleece them out of Stallworth for, say, a box of jockstraps and some cleats, then I'm all for it.

Does Belichick have pictures of the Saints owner in a thong being whipped by Tagliabue or something, LOL?

<<
The fact that the Saints are shopping a starter without really much in reserve should tell you something
>>

Conspiracy theories on.....

What it tells me is that even though their jerk owner caved to the pressure to keep the team in NO, he intends to field a lousy product to help his cause.

theories off.

<<
The fact that the Saints are shopping a starter without really much in reserve should tell you something
>>

Not so sure about that. Why did we draft another TE high in the draft for the 3rd year running ? Graham is definitely an underachiever, while Stallworth had a very good year and could easily come into his own here.

Graham is not an "underachiever." He is a great blocker and made some big plays last year, especially on TE screens. Watch the '03 and '04 DVD again. His blocking for Dillon and keeping Brady clean were huge.

This is the last year of his contract though, and that is a concern to me.

<<
Graham is not an "underachiever."
>>

The numerous passes he has dropped are a definite underachievement. Especially since he tends to make the really tough catches and the ones he drops are usually easy ones with no defenders in his immediate area. He tends not to look the pass in.

Yes he's a great blocker and that's part of TEs job, but a receiver MUST be able to catch the easy ones. When you drop 2 or 3 passes for every tough one you catch, its not enough.

Conspiracy theories on.....

What it tells me is that even though their jerk owner caved to the pressure to keep the team in NO, he intends to field a lousy product to help his cause.

theories off......

They've fielded a lousy team for 30+ years. Don't see his cause improving over that. Plus they did sign Brees.

I'd trade a third round pick next year for Stallworth.

harrisonhits said:
The numerous passes he has dropped are a definite underachievement. Especially since he tends to make the really tough catches and the ones he drops are usually easy ones with no defenders in his immediate area. He tends not to look the pass in.

Yes he's a great blocker and that's part of TEs job, but a receiver MUST be able to catch the easy ones. When you drop 2 or 3 passes for every tough one you catch, its not enough.

I will agree to disagree then. I think he is a solid asset to the Patriots. I hope they resign him. He is a warrior. He can play on my team any time.

I'd be interested to know how many of those "dropped" passes occurred on 3rd down. I'll take a dropped pass over a missed block that gets Brady killed, even if he takes a holding penalty to do so, which rarely happens (See Ben Coates). :thumb:

I have an easy way to improve Graham's stature: just call him a FB instead of a TE, LOL. In that case, he's a good player. (Hell, he's big enough, might as well try handing it off to him if he can't seem to catch them...)

<<
I'd be interested to know how many of those "dropped" passes occurred on 3rd down.
>>

Certainly not all of the drops were drive killers on 3rd downs. But even if the drops were on 1st or 2nd down, if they didn't convert to a new set of downs the drop was still a factor.

I'm not saying Graham is a bad player, I just don't think he's a great player. He has to be aware of his dropping problem and obviously has a decent work ethic so he will hopefully improve his basics and techniques.

I was saying I could see him being traded since we just drafted yet another TE on the first day of the draft and right now I think we need a quality wideout than all the TEs we have.

<<
just call him a FB instead of a TE, L
>>

All right I admit, that one made me laugh and there is a certain amount of truth to it.

And if you call Watson a WR, we're not that bad off as we stand.

Slightly OT, but it is Saints news...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/9482981

LB Watson traded again, this time to Saints

NFL.com wire reports

NEW ORLEANS (June 6, 2006) -- The New Orleans Saints traded linebacker Courtney Watson to the Buffalo Bills in exchange for tight end Tim Euhus.

It's the second time this year that Watson has been traded. He was sent to Miami earlier this offseason but the deal was voided when Eddie Moore, the player the Saints had obtained, failed a physical.

Euhus, entering his third season, has started nine of 23 games in his career. He has 14 receptions for 115 yards and a pair of touchdowns over the past two seasons with the Bills.

The trade is pending league approval.

Watson, who was drafted in the second round in 2004, played in nine games for the Saints last season and had 37 tackles and one sack. He was arrested in late October on a drunken driving charge in San Antonio and a knee sprain kept him out for the last seven games of the season.

Stallworth would be a nice addition to the team. He'd definitely thrive under Brady and has speed.

Back