Draft LeRon Landry and we win the next 2 SB's

sonsofkraftybob

Mmmmmm, feet! Nom, Nom, Nom.
Reaction score
I want this cat BAD. Stallworth and Thomas were good solid additions. Welker is a "nice" story. Washington I could care less about. K. Brady is a wash with less rec. upside.

THIS IS WHO I WANT. We have 2 1st rounders and I say give em both to move up for this dude. He is gonna be as good as Ed Reed. Sean Taylor and Troy Polamalu.

He is Rodney with athletic skills.

Get this dude.....period.

This video gave me friggin goosebumps watching it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bip9KlMxd04

Man......give them all our picks in all the rounds for this kid......He is gonna be the Brady of the Defense.

here is a scouting report

http://football.about.com/od/nationalfootballleague/p/laronlandry.htm

I'd take Reggie Nelson before Landry. Reggie Nelson is SICK!

I can see the Pats moving up in the round since, as I said elsewhere, they just don't have room on the roster for all the draft picks. Wouldn't be surprised if they package the two 1s to move up, then maybe start trading down for picks in next year's draft as they usually do (e.g. a 3 from this year for someone's 2 from next year).

AFPATSFAN on 03-13-2007 at 02:18 PM said:
I'd take Reggie Nelson before Landry. Reggie Nelson is SICK!

He ain't smart enough.

First...he's a Gator.

Second...he's dumb Gator...he needed Junior College for a couple years.

Landry is well tested in the SEC.

Third....he's undersized

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/s/reggienelson.html

C'mon AFpatsfan...don't bring that weak ass rebuttle to THE BEST safety in the draft this way.....

;)

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if we pick a safety in the first 3 rounds, but I doubt it would be Landry.

Not trying to be a wet blanket here. The kid is a fantastic athlete and a very productive/durable college player. We absolutely need to plan for life after Rodney starting right now, but......the Pats MO says probably not even though the tendencies of most teams shying away from drafting safeties high are over, but I'm not sure if BB would do it. Landry is a top ten pick, at least. Maybe 6th. It's questionable if both our first rounders have enough value to get high enough to land him.

We could stand pat and probably get Reggie Nelson and another good player with the pick we didn't give up. My guess is that is a more likely scenario, although I'm just guessing. I would trade both in a second if we could get him.

Goddamn, we have to find some DBs that can stay on the field for a change.

Hawg73 on 03-13-2007 at 02:33 PM said:
. Landry is a top ten pick, at least. Maybe 6th. It's questionable if both our first rounders have enough value to get high enough to land him.

I read somewhere that our 2 1st rounders can get us as high as 8.

How's your heart bro?

Michael Griffin.

I don't care if he's undersized the guy is a beast. Has been for the past couple seasons.

Landry... Just curious SOKB... How many games did you actually see him play in? I mean, hell... Anyone can look good on a tape made of highlights. Even Chad Jackson.

I've seen plenty of Texas games and Griffin is the real deal. Hard hitter... Quick...

I'd take Griffin over Landry in a second.

sonsofkraftybob on 03-13-2007 at 02:28 PM said:
He ain't smart enough.

First...he's a Gator.

Third....he's undersized

C'mon AFpatsfan...don't bring that weak ass rebuttle to THE BEST safety in the draft this way.....

;)

Oh lawd jesus. I'll be you money the Pats would take Nelson before Landry. Because he went to junior college means he is stupid??? Man please. Thats the most ignorant thing any one has ever said.

Oh yeah , hey there was once an undersized guy named...um.... damn what was it.. oh yeah Ronnie Lott that turned out pretty ok in the NFL.

AFPATSFAN on 03-13-2007 at 01:54 PM said:
Oh lawd jesus. I'll be you money the Pats would take Nelson before Landry. Because he went to junior college means he is stupid??? Man please. Thats the most ignorant thing any one has ever said.

Just curious....does that include politicians that claimed at one time that they invented the Internet?

I have to agree with mgo on this one. I think the pats should keep their two picks, and manuever however they have to to pick up Griffin and another cb.

I like Houston, but he ran an amazing 4.3 something at the combine and is flying up the mocks right now, and will be gone early in the teens. So you take Ross, Revis, or if he drops Hall. One of those corners in combination with Griffin.

Geno if he ever gets his mojo back, moves back to cb (probably 3 or 4). You have Hawkins as backup to griffin and Rodney. Hobbs, Samuel, lets say Ross, Wilson, and Gay for corners. Thats some good depth for those inevitable DB injuries we get every year.

Resign Seau or Hartwell to finish off our Lb depth, and draft for future with further picks.

That would be my plan. Of course you take Landry or Nelson first if they drop, but they won't drop that far. Griffin will probably be there.

Annihilus on 03-13-2007 at 03:07 PM said:
Just curious....does that include politicians that claimed at one time that they invented the Internet?

Yep...ever worse. LMAO:patriots:

Annihilus on 03-13-2007 at 03:07 PM said:

How stupid was Al Gore to say that.... We all know Thomas144 created the internet (and semiconductors, and fiber optics, etc etc) :D

Patriots44 on 03-13-2007 at 02:17 PM said:
How stupid was Al Gore to say that.... We all know Thomas144 created the internet (and semiconductors, and fiber optics, etc etc) :D

Maybe Thomas told Gore he could go ahead and take the credit. I mean... That is the kind of guy, or supreme being, Thomas is. We don't know the whole story so we shouldn't be ripping on poor Gore until we do. :Lecture:

didnt i say yesterday that we should trade up to get reggie nelson. nelson and landry are comparable to each other, but being an LSU alum and huge fan, landry is not worth trading two first round picks for. trade one of those picks to move in the middle of the first round for nelson......PERIOD

AFPATSFAN on 03-13-2007 at 02:54 PM said:

Well, yeah. If you ain't smart enough to get into Florida with a full scholarship riding on it....I mean, we aren't talking about Stanford or MIT or Harvard here. it's friggin Florida.

plus his scouting report says "intelligence issues".

Chad Jackson is dumb as a stump and couldn't learn the playbook and he didn't have to go to JC.

Which begs the questions.....then how dumb is Nelson? real Dumb? Quite dumb?

Answer: Too dumb to play in this system that's for sure.

sonsofkraftybob on 03-13-2007 at 02:28 PM said:
He ain't smart enough.

First...he's a Gator.

Third....he's undersized

;)

While I wouldn't know either Landry or Nelson if they kicked me in the ass, I do have a rebuttal:

{taken from a post of mine on patsfans}

In the BB/SP they have made the following post-20 first round draft selections with the corresponding top 10 from each draft. I marked any player that was even debatable (read: I don't agree that all of the red are better, just that it is debatable) with red font.

Laurence Maroney (21)

1 Houston Mario Williams DE North Carolina State
2 New Orleans Reggie Bush RB Southern California
3 Tennessee Vince Young QB Texas
4 N.Y. Jets D'Brickashaw Ferguson T Virginia

5 Green Bay A.J. Hawk OLB Ohio State
6 San Francisco Vernon Davis TE Maryland
7 Oakland Michael Huff SS Texas
8 Buffalo Donte Whitner SS Ohio State
9 Detroit Ernie Sims OLB Florida State
10 Arizona Matt Leinart QB Southern California

Logan Mankins (32)

1 San Francisco Alex Smith QB Utah
2 Miami Ronnie Brown RB Auburn 3 Cleveland Braylon Edwards WR Michigan
4 Chicago Cedric Benson RB Texas
5 Tampa Bay Carnell Williams RB Auburn
6 Tennessee Adam Jones CB West Virginia
7 Minnesota Troy Williamson WR South Carolina
8 Arizona Antrel Rolle CB Miami
9 Washington Carlos Rogers CB Auburn
10 Detroit Mike Williams WR Southern California

Vince Wilfork (21)
Ben Watson (32)

1 San Diego Eli Manning QB Mississippi
2 Oakland Robert Gallery T Iowa
3 Arizona Larry Fitzgerald WR Pittsburgh
4 N.Y. Giants Philip Rivers QB North Carolina State
5 Washington Sean Taylor FS Miami

6 Cleveland Kellen Winslow TE Miami
7 Detroit Roy Williams WR Texas
8 Atlanta DeAngelo Hall CB Virginia Tech
9 Jacksonville Reggie Williams WR Washington
10 Houston Dunta Robinson CB South Carolina

Dan Graham (21)

1 Houston David Carr QB Fresno State
2 Carolina Julius Peppers DE North Carolina
3 Detroit Joey Harrington QB Oregon
4 Buffalo Mike Williams T Texas
5 San Diego Quentin Jammer CB Texas
6 Kansas City Ryan Sims DT North Carolina
7 Minnesota Bryant McKinnie T Miami
8 Dallas Roy Williams SS Oklahoma
9 Jacksonville John Henderson DT Tennessee
10 Cincinnati Levi Jones T Arizona State

NE has made 5 selections. All but one are bonafide starters at their position, and NE apparently has faith that the 5th will prove to be a starter next year. In those same drafts, there were 17 players drafted in the top ten that a case could be made that they have proven to be better guys than who NE ended up with. Said another way, the 5 players taken after the top 20 had already passed are clearly better than 23 of 40 guys who were taken in the top 10.

With that track record, why would anyone be in favor of moving up?

****Pacman has proven to be a very good player, but I considered him out of the running for red considering that it is likely that he is unemployed soon.

mgoblue101415 on 03-13-2007 at 02:38 PM said:

Landry... Just curious SOKB... How many games did you actually see him play in? I mean, hell... Anyone can look good on a tape made of highlights. Even Chad Jackson.

I just saw that tape today...but have harping about Landry for a couple months now.

I have seen enough of him....for some reason....and other local posters can back me up on this...we get ALOT of SEC feeds for games here. Not sure if it's because it's the best conference of geographical or whatever but the SEC is on each and every saturday here.

I have had enough overrated retards from Florida for the rest of my life. Give those bozos to some other team that doesn't require them to be able to read.

Here are some replies to my post and my rebuttal, just in case anyone disagrees with me:

You forgot to put Winslow in red (better than Watson), and DeAngelo Hall and Dunta Robinson are both stud cornerbacks. Still, I'd rather have Wilfork and Watson than, say, Winslow, but again Wilfork was selected with an earlier pick than we had in a very, very deep draft. I'm not so certain this draft class is very deep, which makes a top 5 pick more valuable than two late-1sts.

I will give you Winslow as being better than Watson, but he is not better than Wilfork. I don't know enough about Robinson to make the best judgement, but Hall is an average CB at best. He has tremendous measuables, but I would take Hobbs over him every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Even if I add all three of these, the point still stands. In all likelihood, NE's picks at 24 and 28 will both better than 1/2 of the big names picked in the top 10.

I guess you'd move up because BB/SP can not only identify the best post 20 talent, but can also identify the best top ten talent. Said another way, if BB/SP were drafting in the top ten in those four years, they would have selected four of the seventeen players who did pan out. I guess we shouldn't assume that BB/SP will always select good talent at the end of the first round, but would be subject to drafting busts in the top ten.

Just playing devil's advocate.

The issue is more complicated than that. When you add money into the mix things change dramatically. The investment in a #8 would probably be twice that of 24 and 28 combined. So, the player would have to be much, much better than anyone taken to be worth the money. For instance, I am more than willing to say that Bush is better than Maroney. But would you rather have Bush at 5+mm cap per year or Maroney at 2mm?

IMHO, once we exclude QBs (no need) only a handful of the guys are clearly worth big money:

Larry Fitzgerald, Julius Peppers, John Henderson, Levi Jones and Roy Williams (Det.)

So, only 5 guys were really worth the investment of a top 10 pick (excluding QBs) while every single player taken by NE exceeded their contract value.

I am not against moving up a handful of spots, but I vehemently disagree with going any higher than the high teen area.

Oswlek on 03-13-2007 at 03:48 PM said:

I am not against moving up a handful of spots, but I vehemently disagree with going any higher than the high teen area.

Why? We have needed a safety for the last 2 years.

We made a cornerback into a safety (Gino) with no success.

We have used LB's at safety (Davis) with no success.

We have picked up trash on the side of the road (last year) with no success.

We need a safety. A legit safety that can blitz AND cover. That can learn the most complicated defense in the NFL. A safety that can change trhe game in one play.

We need a safety and they are hard to find. They are even harder to pan out when you find one.

Why draft "A" safety when we can draft "THE" safety.

Belicheck won't make the same mistake again...he let Sanders slip away and drafted Watson instead.

Watson has been good....but Sanders is GREAT.

Back