Draft possibilities?

Hawg73 said:
You guys like Stovall.....at 21?

No way. He will go way after that.

Hawg, he is not my 1st choice but i am being a homer this year and hoping for BC's Mathias Kiwanuka. The Patriots need depth up front especially with the possibility of losing McGinest. BB would love to mold Kiwi into another Willie.

Patriots | Team might consider Carpenter in draft
Mon, 6 Mar 2006 17:49:36 -0800

According to Tom Casale of Patriots Football Weekly, the New England Patriots could consider Ohio State LB Bobby Carpenter with the No. 21 overall draft choice. The possible selection of Carpenter would be dependent on what the team decides to do in free agency and with LB Willie McGinest.

Carpenter is the one guy i want from the list most.

PatsChamps3X said:
Patriots | Team might consider Carpenter in draft
Mon, 6 Mar 2006 17:49:36 -0800

According to Tom Casale of Patriots Football Weekly, the New England Patriots could consider Ohio State LB Bobby Carpenter with the No. 21 overall draft choice. The possible selection of Carpenter would be dependent on what the team decides to do in free agency and with LB Willie McGinest.

Carpenter is the one guy i want from the list most.

Carpenter is one of those potential picks that all the "BB will never pick a LB first" guys will come out of the woodpile to show how much they know about the topic--which is not much. BB will do whatever makes sense to him at the time, not what his track record might suggest.

Those same guys said that BB would never pick another TE after drafting Graham (Watson) and never pick a guard in the 1st. He also would never take a small WR when he took Branch and so forth. Lot of nevers end up happening in Foxboro.

Carpenter and Chad Greenway are two guys that would seem to be Patriot-style LBs in terms of size and versatility at a key position where we are going to need help soon even if Willie stays.

I'd be fired up over either one even though Greenway didn't exactly nail his combine workouts from what I saw and could drop a bit.

Another guy that fits our mold at LB would be tweener Chris Gocong from Cal poly. He really turned some heads at the combine although he is more likely a 2nd/3rd rounder. He reminded me of a larger Tedy Bruschi.

PatsChamps3X said:
Hawg, he is not my 1st choice but i am being a homer this year and hoping for BC's Mathias Kiwanuka. The Patriots need depth up front especially with the possibility of losing McGinest. BB would love to mold Kiwi into another Willie.

My thoughts exactly. If we lose "The Ancient One" I would love to see Kiwanuka take his place.

cadmonkey said:
My thoughts exactly. If we lose "The Ancient One" I would love to see Kiwanuka take his place.

The reports from Senior Bowl practices was that Kiwanuka was dominated by D'Brick Ferguson. The man against boy analogy was used.

bideau said:
The reports from Senior Bowl practices was that Kiwanuka was dominated by D'Brick Ferguson. The man against boy analogy was used.
I don't think he is a Mamula but I also don't think he will ever be a Willie Mac.

while he has the size to add weight to his 6-7 260+lbs frame, it is strength that he needs and he will continue to get eaten up by tackles in the NFL because he tries to bull rush too much, he needs to use speed more to set up the bull rush like freeney does.

bideau said:

I heard the same thing.

While Kiwi is a hell of an athlete, he is going to have to add some muscle and learn the nuances of pass rushing to be effective at DE in the pros, IMO.

Many of his 37.5 sacks at BC came from beating guys that couldn't match his athleticism, but he is far from a polished product from what I could see.

Some guys come into the league with a variety of well-honed spin moves and rips to go with their speed. I've seen Kiwi do two things: an outside speed rush and a bull rush that he won't be able to use on any pro tackles at 265.

There are zero 6'7" linebackers in the NFL, either, so I would say that any such conversion might take the kind of time that many teams don't want to give. He would probably be a liability in coverage unless he can swat every pass down.

My guess is that Kiwi drops a bit, goes late in the first and won't do much for a year or two, but he is a good kid and I'd like to see him do well in the NFL.

:patriots: I would not be surprised if the Pats take an OL with their first pick, considering their injuries last year and the possibility of them losing Neal to Free Agency. Personally I would like to see them draft a LB (Greenway or Carpenter) who could step right in and start. One WR I definitely want them to take in the 2nd or 3rd round is Mike Hass from Oregon State. Good size, over the middle toughness, great hands, to take Givens place!! Watched him at the combine on the NFL Network and he would fit right in with the Pats. I can't wait for the draft and the Planet draft party. Ordered my Draft Magazines yesterday!! Next to football season, draft weekend is my favorite sports time of the year!!

RichieM said:
:patriots: I would not be surprised if the Pats take an OL with their first pick, considering their injuries last year and the possibility of them losing Neal to Free Agency. Personally I would like to see them draft a LB (Greenway or Carpenter) who could step right in and start. One WR I definitely want them to take in the 2nd or 3rd round is Mike Hass from Oregon State. Good size, over the middle toughness, great hands, to take Givens place!! Watched him at the combine on the NFL Network and he would fit right in with the Pats. I can't wait for the draft and the Planet draft party. Ordered my Draft Magazines yesterday!! Next to football season, draft weekend is my favorite sports time of the year!!

I saw Hass at the combine as well. Awesome hands and technique. You see these guys that are supposed to be first rounders and they cant even do a catching drill right, but Hass nailed it.

I wouldn't mind seeing him in Foxboro at all. Good call.

:thumb: Let's hope the Pats War Room people and West Coast scouts have the same high opinion of Mike Hass as we do!! He can do everything Givens could with better hands. People mention his speed times, but he plays faster and can get open. Bethel Johnson has 4.4 speed but a 6.2 brain. Hass wants to prove people wrong and I would love to see it in Foxboro. Keep your fingers crossed.

Hawg73 said:
My guess is that Kiwi drops a bit, goes late in the first and won't do much for a year or two, but he is a good kid and I'd like to see him do well in the NFL.

Profootballtalk.com chimes in on the kid:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm
Viewed by some as a top-five pick prior to the 2005 season, Kiawanuka will now be lucky to be selected on day one of the draft. The perception is that Kiawanuka had his "ass whupped" at the Senior Bowl, and that he showed no leg strength or intensity. Three teams that we know of have him rated as a fourth-rounder.

--------------------------------------------

Leg strength can be developed, but at what cost to speed? Intensity cannot. I see him possibly being available to the Pats in the 2nd.

Wandering Athol said:
Profootballtalk.com chimes in on the kid:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm
Viewed by some as a top-five pick prior to the 2005 season, Kiawanuka will now be lucky to be selected on day one of the draft. The perception is that Kiawanuka had his "ass whupped" at the Senior Bowl, and that he showed no leg strength or intensity. Three teams that we know of have him rated as a fourth-rounder.

--------------------------------------------

Leg strength can be developed, but at what cost to speed? Intensity cannot. I see him possibly being available to the Pats in the 2nd.

I had heard that D'Brick House whipped his ass pretty good in one on ones. From the clips I have been watching on On Demand, Kiwi was not the only guy to get killed by that guy-- not that he is going to dominate at the next level. Supposedly, Darryl Tapp (another Pat's tweener possiblity) did well against Ferguson, but I saw a play where he got swatted down much like a mosquito.

I doubt he slips to the second day because of his size/speed and solid production at BC, but the first round stuff was ridiculous. You can count the 6'5" and better DEs on one hand this year with many of them not even close to average NFL size. That should help him.

I don't buy the intensity bit that much. He wasn't exactly a loafer for BC and I saw him make his fair share of tackles he had no business being involved in. He just has no clue how to harness his abiliy, which works against UConn, but not against Miami -- if you get my drift.

I see him as very raw-- a guy that needs a good DL coach to teach him some new moves and he might be something in a few years, which is more than i can say for Marquise Hill who is a stiff.

Somebody will grab him in the 3rd.

The Pats almost always go with the BPA phylosophy. This yr more than any since '00, they have glaring needs at LB and RB. I wonder if this is the yr that the Pats break from their usually style and pick position, over overall player rating.

It will be interesting to see, and if they stay with their player rating system and pick a DL or TE with their first round pick, we can rest assured that they will never pick any other way.

That said, what are the chances of DeAngelo Williams falling to 21?:thumb:

runnerone said:
That said, what are the chances of DeAngelo Williams falling to 21?:thumb:

The Pats are selective about when they use BPA. They grade everyone meticulously and will not reach very far to fill a need, but they aren't completely stubborn about it.

If two guys are rated very close in the 1st round and one is, say, a RB and the other a linebacker, then I would expect they would pick the LB because we already have several serviceable RBs and as Wandering pointed out-- Dillon and Faulk are both on the cap for 2.5M this year and they aren't likely to overload the cap number at one position. That is an underrated consideration for our guys.

Williams looks outstanding in the clips I've seen of him. He looks like he will be a really good pro and I think he could still be around at 21. I doubt we get him, but that would be fine with me and he could turn out to be worth the temporary cap overload.

Hawg73 said:
If two guys are rated very close in the 1st round and one is, say, a RB and the other a linebacker, then I would expect they would pick the LB because we already have several serviceable RBs and as Wandering pointed out-- Dillon and Faulk are both on the cap for 2.5M this year and they aren't likely to overload the cap number at one position. That is an underrated consideration for our guys.
Did Dillon re-do his contract and if so is he still a big cap hit.

mikiemo83 said:
Did Dillon re-do his contract and if so is he still a big cap hit.

According to http://www.patscap.com, Dillon's on the books for $2.6MM this year. Miguel also assumes Dillon did indeed restructure his contract this year to free up some space.

March 23, 2006 - Noticed that Dillon's 2006 salary changed on the NFLPA.org website.It used to be listed as $3,000,000. It is now listed as $710,000. If we presume that the difference (2,290,000) was converted into a signing bonus, then the Pats saved $1,717,500 this year while adding $572,500 to his cap hits in 2007,2008, and 2009.

Back