Draft talk?

Pats looking for a 3rd TE:

http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl
Patriots | J. Lewis struggles during workout
Sun, 23 Apr 2006 19:13:51 -0700

Aaron Wilson, of the Carroll County Times, reports George Mason TE/OL/DL Jai Lewis struggled during his workout. He dropped several passes and struggled to perform in the agility drills. One of the teams in attendance was the New England Patriots.

Patriots | E. Nelson impresses during workout
Sun, 23 Apr 2006 19:30:19 -0700

Aaron Wilson, of the Carroll County Times, reports Connecticut TE Ed Nelson impressed scouts with his hands during his workout. One of the teams in attendance was the New England Patriots.

--------------------------------------------

For years you've heard that the best TEs are playing power forward in the NBA. Then Gates comes along and gives some merit to that opinion. Now everyone's goo goo gaa gaa over these guys. I'm not quite sold yet. Any other thoughts? :shrug:

BB made an interesting comment in his pre-draft press conference that there are a lot of guys in this yrs draft without a lot of tape on them or situational experience.

Does this mean that he is looking for the sleeper picks to bring in from the college mash units? There are some quality DB's who spent much time on the sidelines with injuries, but showed flashes of brilliance when they got their chances.

In the secondary, I expect the Pats to covet the likes of

DB Antonio Cromartie at 6'3" with great speed, and hands he could almost be a two way prospect.

DB Demario Minter very physical in run support, maybe a young Rodney in the making.

DB Michael Huff, with good game exp, solid tackler, and the ability to play both Safety and CB.

Then again as always, reading anything into BB's comments for a nugget of a clue is a crap shoot at best.

There's no way the Pats move up in the draft. They just don't need anyone that badly. If anything, they like to move down.

Not that we didn't already know that the primary spots of need are LB, DB, and WR, but on The Score this morning Gresh pointed out that the salary "holes" (i.e. spaces where they have money allotted but not spent) are at those positions. He pointed out that, with a $100M+ salary cap, the Pats currently have only slightly more than THREE MILLION spent on their current cornerbacks; not a single corner gets more than around 850k (that being Chad Scott). (Even Warfield signed for cheaper money this first year of the contract.) So not only could they use a young corner, they have money slotted to spend at the position.

Wandering Athol said:

Patriots | E. Nelson impresses during workout
Sun, 23 Apr 2006 19:30:19 -0700

Aaron Wilson, of the Carroll County Times, reports Connecticut TE Ed Nelson impressed scouts with his hands during his workout. One of the teams in attendance was the New England Patriots.[/i]

--------------------------------------------

For years you've heard that the best TEs are playing power forward in the NBA. Then Gates comes along and gives some merit to that opinion. Now everyone's goo goo gaa gaa over these guys. I'm not quite sold yet. Any other thoughts? :shrug:

I heard some talk about Nelson on the radio the other day and they were scratching their heads over how a guy like Nelson, who only averaged 10 minutes a game at UConn, is planning on jumping to the NFL. Despite the sitcom-dad name, Nelson is apparently a wild and crazy guy and is listed at 6-8 260.

It has to be the Gates factor, but these guys have to be nothing more than a longshot. I think.

I never watch college ball and have very little of anything but the few marquee players the talking heads go on and on about.

And of course attempting to predict who BB will take is a total waste of time. About the only guess I can make is whatever I think the team needs and he will take, the Pats will draft something else. :D

last season a Jets trainer/scout was working out in texas and spotted this large basket ball player from Texas A&M-Corpus Christi - Corey Lamkin and signed him to a futures contract here are his stats

Height: 6'6"
Weight: 240 lbs
Birthday: 15 Jan 1982
Years in NFL: 1
College: Texas A&M-Corpus Christi

Christi, averaged 13 points and 7.8 rebounds a game as a senior forward for the Islanders’ basketball team. In three seasons with Texas A&M-Corpus Christi basketball team, he averaged 11.9 points and 5.2 rebounds.

so yeah I would say that this is going to keep taking place for a while, some kid receives a second chance in a different sport

A little discouraging news on a highly-ranked CB in this draft (I've seen him going as high as #9 in some mocks): Jimmy William, CB, Virginia Tech.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm
Williams is regarded by some league insiders as a "very bad dude" -- and not in the good way. We've heard that some teams have removed him completely from their boards.

----------------------------------------------

Virginia Tech...surprise, surprise. :shake:

Could Hawg be onto something?

Patriots | Team interested in Gocong
Wed, 26 Apr 2006 22:06:27 -0700

Albert Breer, of the MetroWest Daily News, reports the New England Patriots are showing some interest in Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo DE Chris Gocong.

Wandering Athol said:
Could Hawg be onto something?

Patriots | Team interested in Gocong
Wed, 26 Apr 2006 22:06:27 -0700

Albert Breer, of the MetroWest Daily News, reports the New England Patriots are showing some interest in Cal Poly-San Luis Obispo DE Chris Gocong.

I'm telling you, man. He is perfect for us.

I spent several hours watching the combine live and watched the drills that featured him a couple of times. He can really move and shows good pop and explosion. I realize that they are only drills, but he did just about everything right the first time while a lot of big name guys struggled. You can just see that he is one hell of an athlete and really gets after it.

His only downside is level of competition and he DOMINATED at 1-AA. As one unnamed NFC scout said: "you can't hold that against him."

For all the Maurice Drew fans out there:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm
A reader with access to Pro Football Weekly's pay-based "Inner Circle" tells us that the folks at PFW are reporting that league scouts continue to investigate whether UCLA running back Maurice Drew had any role in the recent incident at a Westwood Denny's that left Ricky Manning facing charges of assault with a deadly weapon after a guy who was using a laptop in the restaurant got the sausage beaten out of him by a group of men.

Per PFW, Drew's agent confirmed that the former Bruin was "eating dinner" at the time but says that Drew had no role in the matter.

Although Manning and Drew were recently together on the set of NFL Network's Total Access, Drew's agent said that Manning and Drew are not acquaintances. The agent claims that Drew had no involvement or knowledge of the incident, and simply happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

-------------------------------------------

Now tell me, who the hell's eating dinner at 3am (about the time the incident occured IIRC)? My built-in, shock proof, shit detector is beeping.

Considering there are criminal charges involved, Drew will almost certainly fall in the draft if this news starts circulating throughout the league UNLESS he and his agent actively do something to clear his name.

Aside: It has not yet been confirmed if Drew and Manning were members of UCLA's notorious, geek-hating Alpha-Beta fraternity. ;)

Wandering Athol said:

Now tell me, who the hell's eating dinner at 3am (about the time the incident occured IIRC)? My built-in, shock proof, shit detector is beeping.

Dinner is probably a eupheism for a drunken breakfast.

I used to regularly finish off a late night with a bellyfull of eggs and sausages- the breakfast of drunken champions. Go into any Dennys-type place after midnight and every single person in the place is likely legally drunk and/or a truck driver. Combine that with the geek harassment and I'd bet that Manning and crew were all bleepfaced.

Far as Drew goes, I know we talked to him, but the only way I could see us getting him would be if the Pats wanted to replace Faulk. He might very well be able to handle that kind of role.

One thing I noticed about Drew is that while he is very short and he has tiny feet, his thighs are absolutely enormous. He looks like a cartoon character, but while he has a ton of speed and quickness, he supposedly goes down pretty easy.

He wouldn't likely be coming here, but if the allegations are true then no way.

Hawg, you talking about the Bickfords/HoJo's late night greese fill?

any good true red blooded american has to have made that trek totally blabbering to the wait staff

also the little stevie's pizza near Berkley College/Boston Conservatory or the pizza joint across from the wang center

great places to get a slice and watch a fight- the true american past time

Hawg73 said:
Dinner is probably a eupheism for a drunken breakfast.

I used to regularly finish off a late night with a bellyfull of eggs and sausages- the breakfast of drunken champions. Go into any Dennys-type place after midnight and every single person in the place is likely legally drunk and/or a truck driver. Combine that with the geek harassment and I'd bet that Manning and crew were all bleepfaced.

Yeah, I agree with you.

I guess my point was: what are the chances "Manning and Drew are not acquaintances," given they are both high-profile players from UCLA and were both just on the same show together? My guess: almost zero.

Given that they probably knew each other, what are the chances that it was a coinkydink they were both in the same Denny's at 3AM? My guess: very, very low.

Given that they were probably at Denny's together, and knowing that Drew was in fact there, what are the chances, "that Drew had no involvement or knowledge of the incident?" My guess: zero.

I smell a rat.

Wandering Athol said:
I smell a rat.

Exactly. With the draft less than 48 hours away his agent would lie, cheat and sell his own mother to prevent his cash cow from dropping a round or two and hurting his percentage.

mikiemo83 said:
Hawg, you talking about the Bickfords/HoJo's late night greese fill?

Bickfords. Exactly. A tradition I recently revived after my birthday party when I informed my wife that I was hungry at 1:30AM. The cop on duty was friendly to us because we were the only people there that were his age and didn't appear to be high on crack.

Quick story. I ran into one of my brothers at Bickfords in Braintree at 2:30am a few years ago and we joined our crews and got a big table.

Anyway, one of his friends was a totally insane individual that we call Landro. There was a table of attractive girls close by and Landro kept waving at them to get their attention while I cringed because I knew his M.O.

He finally gets them all to look and then buries his FACE in his plate and starts scarfing up his food like a German Shepard making loud slurping noises all the while.

Of course they watched this bizarre late-night spectacle and he finally comes up for air with his face covered with egg bits and grease. Big smile on his face. I don't believe they were suitably impressed.

Only at Bickfords.

Anybody given any thought to the Pats moving up to take Ngata, and switching the scheme to a 4-3?

Warren and Seymour as the DEs and Wilfork the other DT; Colvin and Vrabel on the outside, and Bruschi in the middle.

Wandering Athol said:
Anybody given any thought to the Pats moving up to take Ngata, and switching the scheme to a 4-3?

Warren and Seymour as the DEs and Wilfork the other DT; Colvin and Vrabel on the outside, and Bruschi in the middle.

Nope. Not me.

Not the worst idea in the world, though, but I think BB is commited to a base 3-4 for the near forseeable.

If we can't find a viable 4th starting linebacker, then maybe we'll consider something like that-- but I can't see us moving up to take a guy that would only fit in a change of base scheme.

I've never been blown away by Ngata, but haven't seen much of him at all.

Wandering Athol said:
An unfavorable review of a player some have said might be in the Pats' sights at #21:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...draft/2006/04/21/pauline.overrated/index.html
Johnathan Joseph, CB, South Carolina: Considered by some as the top true cornerback in this draft, Joseph possesses outstanding size and speed. But while many are enamored with his athletic skills, they dismiss his marginal instincts and the coverage assignments he has a penchant for blowing, never mind the fact that he played major college football for only one full season.

Are you going to the Draft Chat with that guy? The one who wrote that article?

I think it's tonight... they have something on it over at scout. Apparently the guys works for sports illustrated and scout maybe even some others also.

I liked his risers and fallers piece a week or so ago.

don't click in the following link if you don't want to go there.

chat info

The Onion has posted a satirical look at the sleepers available in this year's draft and it's worth a chuckle.

UW LaCrosse reciever Demetirus Horner who at 5'8" and 195 pounds has neither size nor speed, but has such huge, soft hands that several scouts curled up inside them for "the best night's sleep they've had in years."

check it out here.

Back