Dwayne Freaking Allen Destroyed 2 Jags on Dion's Game Sealing Run

Shmessy

Reaction score
Seriously, folks, #83 is a blocking beast - - and he executed 2 Jags (first, Malik Jackson and then Telvin Smith) in textbook fashion to clear out for Dion Lewis' game sealing run.

Also, huge credit to James Develin for eliminating Tashaun Gipson at the initial point of attack.

These two guys haven't been mentioned much after yesterday's thrilling win, but they deserve some neon lights for that!

Check it out starting at 3:45 of the video. It's a thing of beauty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ1lcQ2olDo

BTW, pregame Brady to Jalen Ramsey yelled "I'm gonna beat your sorry ass!" during his pregame ritual sideline run. Just rewatch th CBS pregame show when they covered live his pregame warmup. My son and I rewound it several times and that was definitely what he yelled at Ramsey.

Seriously, folks, #83 is a blocking beast - - and he executed 2 Jags (first, Malik Jackson and then Telvin Smith) in textbook fashion to clear out for Dion Lewis' game sealing run.

Also, huge credit to James Develin for eliminating Tashaun Gipson at the initial point of attack.

These two guys haven't been mentioned much after yesterday's thrilling win, but they deserve some neon lights for that!

Also Hogan blocking downfield to keep the DB from coming back. Thanks for sharing this.

Develin crushed Gipson.

It was nice blocking assignments. When Allen crossed to the left, the entire front 7 (8, actually) of JAX shifted that way. It was reallySOlder who blocked Jackson, not Allen. Allen ran past Jackson (might have chipped) and let Gipson run free knowing Gipson was Develin's responsibility, and hit Smith but whiffed on the seal block which would have caught up Posluszny who then made the tackle. Allen drove Smith down the field instead of sealing him like he should have, but Lewis made it behind Smith anyway.

Nice blocking on the game clinching play.

I watched this about 20 times. Allen might have got a slight combo block on the D-lineman before he went to the 2nd level. He then took 50 and 51 out of the play, I don't care to look up their names. A well-executed play all around.

I watched this about 20 times. Allen might have got a slight combo block on the D-lineman before he went to the 2nd level. He then took 50 and 51 out of the play, I don't care to look up their names. A well-executed play all around.

Exactly. I'm not sure what play Spacecrime was watching.

50 is Telvin Smith and #51 is Paul Posluzny. Allen made Telvin Smith look like a practice field blocking sled and Posluzny couldn't get around the two of them.

This is a different blocking scheme that BB specifically called Allen out for praise earlier this season in Week 12 against Miami on his mic'd up NFL Films piece and with Zo later that week on the Belestrator. In that one, he did not slide over before the snap and he went wide to get the CB. He really does a great job on the runs toward the sidelines.

Both plays show Allen has great vision and anticipation on whom to block.

I put it on 25% speed because I love blocking schemes. You really can't tell if Allen chipped Jackson but since he was a bit slow to get to Smith you have to assume he did.

Posluszny made the tackle so technically wasn't out of the play. He would have been taken out of the play had Allen made a seal block.

Exactly. I'm not sure what play Spacecrime was watching.

50 is Telvin Smith and #51 is Paul Posluzny. Allen made Telvin Smith look like a practice field blocking sled and Posluzny couldn't get around the two of them.

Both plays show Allen has great vision and anticipation on whom to block.
Well, no way to tell who he was supposed to block, but it seems obvious to me that he did deliberately let Gipson go by (not a missed assignment-Gipson was Develin's man to block) but the play would have gone much better had Allen sealed Smith rather than pushing Smith TOWARD Lewis. Not saying Allen isn't a great blocker, he is. And he did start to push Smith downfield. It's just so obvious to me that he should have pushed Smith back into Posluszny, not toward Lewis's running lane.

Put the video on 25% speed and watch. It all happens so fast, but you can see Lewis barely squeaking by Smith as Allen was pushing Smith toward the sidelines and into Lewis's running lane.

That's how I saw it anyway. There are people here much better than I at analyzing blocking. Would like to hear their thoughts.

Hawg? Chev?

Thanks for posting it. This is the 1st time I've seen the play since the game. With all the talk of a few other plays, this one is getting overlooked and I'm surprised. A game clinching run on 3rd and 9 when everyone is expecting the run requires perfect execution and effort. My view in the stands was from behind. All I recall is seeing the sea split wide open and before DLew was finally tackled, the place was erupting.

Well, no way to tell who he was supposed to block, but it seems obvious to me that he did deliberately let Gipson go by (not a missed assignment-Gipson was Develin's man to block) but the play would have gone much better had Allen sealed Smith rather than pushing Smith TOWARD Lewis. Not saying Allen isn't a great blocker, he is. And he did start to push Smith downfield. It's just so obvious to me that he should have pushed Smith back into Posluszny, not toward Lewis's running lane.

Put the video on 25% speed and watch. It all happens so fast, but you can see Lewis barely squeaking by Smith as Allen was pushing Smith toward the sidelines and into Lewis's running lane.

That's how I saw it anyway. There are people here much better than I at analyzing blocking. Would like to hear their thoughts.

Hawg? Chev?

I'll defer to Hawg every time when it comes to trench warfare. My interests are elsewhere on the field.

PFF's game grades are up...Cam Fleming and Nate Solder shine so putting their grades in an OL thread is fitting even though Trey Flowers is lapping the field.

Top 5 Grades:

Edge Trey Flowers, 91.4 overall grade

WR Danny Amendola, 86.8 overall grade

T Cameron Fleming, 85.4 overall grade

T Nate Solder, 81.8 overall grade

QB Tom Brady, 79.6 overall grade
Performances of Note:

QB Tom Brady, 79.6 overall grade

Brady wasn’t terribly sharp on Sunday, but he made the plays when it counted. He had a handful of forced throws down the field and misses that I’m sure he’d like back. He was 3-of-8 for 83 yards on passes targeted 20-plus yards downfield. Brady was much more efficient in the intermediate range, as he was in sync with Danny Amendola all day. On those passes, Brady was 9-of-14 for 133 yards and a touchdown.
T Cameron Fleming, 85.4 overall grade

One of the biggest stories of this game was the Jaguars’ inability to get pressure on Tom Brady. Fleming was a big reason why. Brady was under pressure on only nine of his 42 dropbacks, and Fleming was responsible for only one of those.
Edge Trey Flowers, 91.4 overall grade

One of the better, more underrated draft picks in Patriots recent memory, Flowers emerged as a force in 2016 but has taken his game to a new level this year. He has now amassed 12 combined sacks, hits and hurries and six run stops in the postseason.
CB Stephon Gilmore, 79.1 overall grade

That’s why you give him the big bucks. Gilmore did give up one big play to Dede Westbrook, but just four plays later, he was making the play of the game to turn the ball over on downs. He allowed three receptions on his five targets for 48 yards and recorded one crucial pass break-up.

Top 5 Grades:

LB Myles Jack, 85.8 overall grade

G A.J. Cann, 83.1 overall grade

WR Allen Hurns, 82.1 overall grade

WR Keelan Cole, 80.6 overall grade

DI Marcell Dareus, 79.4 overall grade
Performances of Note:

QB Blake Bortles, 64.8 overall grade

History beckoned, but perhaps this is a fitting end for the Blake Bortles era in Jacksonville. There was the tease of what was to come but ultimately Bortles was unable to make a play when most needed. It was a solid performance from Bortles with just the one turnover-worthy throw, but as the Patriots put him under more pressure in the second half, he just couldn’t respond. Will he get another chance? That will be one of the offseasons biggest questions.
G A.J. Cann, 83.1 overall grade

The Jaguars are a young team on offense, and it’s good to see young players coming of age. Cann had a shaky 2017 season, but his play over the last four weeks — since he was worked over by San Francisco — suggests the Jags have got their right guard for the long term.
LB Myles Jack, 85.8 overall grade

Jack made the play of the day for the Jaguars’ defense when he chased down Dion Lewis on a trick play and simply took the ball away. He added a hit and a stop on the day for the Jaguars’ highest-graded performance.
CB A.J. Bouye, 44.6 overall grade

The Jaguars’ corners weren’t close to their normal lockdown selves on Sunday. Bouye allowed four his five targets for 58 yards, while Ramsey yielded four of his five targets as well for 72 yards. Both were also flagged for deep pass interference penalties as well.
PFF Game Ball: Danny Amendola, WR

AMMIEBall-NE-1024x576.jpg

Hawg? Chev?

I'm just curious what more you expected out of the play :huh:

I'll defer to Hawg every time when it comes to trench warfare. My interests are elsewhere on the field.

PFF's game grades are up...Cam Fleming and Nate Solder shine so putting their grades in an OL thread is fitting even though Trey Flowers is lapping the field.

You are too kind. I don't claim to be any kind of expert in OL play, but that is where I tend to focus and after seeing the game live and watching it once after, I was quite impressed with the entire OL.

As far as Duane Allen on that play and overall, I'm really reluctant to pronounce him as a great blocker, but that was an outstanding play that showed patience, technique and want-to on his part-- which is something that he showed a decided lack of earlier this season, imo. I'm going to stop short of saying he blocked two guys, though, as Pozlusny just sort of fell off the play at the end lunging for Lewis. Allen has improved quite a bit and taken coaching, so let's give him props and also recognize what a tremendous play that was for everybody on that left side.

In addition to he and Develin -- who was a beast all night, you see a tremendous drive block by Solder on 97 Jackson who rolled him 5 yards back and a really nice reach block by Thuney (who also hit two guys) on Marcel Dareus who was able to outquick him to the play side and seal off Dareus. I think Solder's block was just as good as Develin and Allen's. It was perfect. All 4 of those blocks were.

Calling a wide running play from the I on 3rd and 9 with the season maybe hanging in the balance took some major stones, but the execution was tremendous and you'd be hard pressed to think of another time when Bill got that animated and excited during a football game. He went bazooka down there. His mask fell to the ground and he was like a little kid again for a few minutes. That was remarkable.

I mean.....think about it. The previous drive ended with an unreal, clutch defensive play from Gilmore flying through the air on another really well-thrown ball from Bortles and if you felt good about giving them the ball back with a minute and a half left on the clock then you enjoy living dangerously.

There were a few iconic plays from that game that we'll always remember, but that running play on 3rd and 9 should be one that we can all see in our mind's eye 10 years from now without straining.

I'm just curious what more you expected out of the play :huh:
Oh, I didn't. I LOVED it. I was screaming at the time.

It was just a look at individual blocking. I played tackle in high school (well, I practiced tackle. New Bedford had too good a team for me to see the field even once) and I just love to replay blocking slo-mo.

The play was a huge success but I was looking at individual blocking. I saw a failure to seal. The failure didn't affect the outcome of the game or the effectiveness of the play but it wasn't Allen's best effort by any means.

You are too kind. I don't claim to be any kind of expert in OL play....
You are, though. I read all your blocking posts and reports and go back to look at my DVR. I've gotten quite good at seeing what you see. Thanks!

This time, though, I disagree. I cannot imagine Allen's assignment was to push Smith into Lewis's running lane.

I do agree that Allen has improved tremendously (both receiving and blocking) since his awful start. Also that the OLine did very well, especially in the second half, and doubly especially giving Brady that deep oval pocket where he can step up. I've seen that (second half blocking vs first half blocking) a few times.

Can't believe there's only one more game left to the season....

You are, though. I read all your blocking posts and reports and go back to look at my DVR. I've gotten quite good at seeing what you see. Thanks!

This time, though, I disagree. I cannot imagine Allen's assignment was to push Smith into Lewis's running lane.

I do agree that Allen has improved tremendously (both receiving and blocking) since his awful start. Also that the OLine did very well, especially in the second half, and doubly especially giving Brady that deep oval pocket where he can step up. I've seen that (second half blocking vs first half blocking) a few times.

Can't believe there's only one more game left to the season....

Thanks, but it wasn't me who said that about Allen's block, so....

Blocking a really good space player like Telvin Smith on the hoof is a very difficult thing to do and Allen squared him up cleanly and drove him backwards effectively and that's really all you can ask him to do in that situation unless you're the Ghost of Vince Lombardi screaming about getting a SEAL HERE!!!!

I give Duane Allen an A+ for what he did accomplish, even though, yes, you'd like to see him turn Smith to the inside and wall him off in an ideal world. Just a super difficult thing to actually pull off. Sometimes you just have to get a guy going backwards and leave it up to Dion Lewis and Allen did that beautifully.

Smith and Myles Jack were outstanding in that game. Those guys are lightning fast, big hitters and cover well in the passing game. I can't believe Jack is only 22. If he works hard then there is no reason he isn't all-pro soon.

I don't think we destroyed those guys mentally like we did Atlanta. Give them a young TE that can play and decent play from Bortles and they could be really good for years.

Thanks, but it wasn't me who said that about Allen's block, so....

Blocking a really good space player like Telvin Smith on the hoof is a very difficult thing to do and Allen squared him up cleanly and drove him backwards effectively and that's really all you can ask him to do in that situation unless you're the Ghost of Vince Lombardi screaming about getting a SEAL HERE!!!!

I give Duane Allen an A+ for what he did accomplish, even though, yes, you'd like to see him turn Smith to the inside and wall him off in an ideal world. Just a super difficult thing to actually pull off. Sometimes you just have to get a guy going backwards and leave it up to Dion Lewis and Allen did that beautifully.

Smith and Myles Jack were outstanding in that game. Those guys are lightning fast, big hitters and cover well in the passing game. I can't believe Jack is only 22. If he works hard then there is no reason he isn't all-pro soon.

I don't think we destroyed those guys mentally like we did Atlanta. Give them a young TE that can play and decent play from Bortles and they could be really good for years.

Thanks for weighing in on that, Hawg. That's basically what I saw there. The fact that Posluzny made the tackle after 18 yards isn't a knock on Allen. It was not a home-run designed play. He chipped Jackson and left him to Solder to finish off, then took on Smith who is fast and slippery. Very effective blocking and the fact that Posluzny couldn't get a shot at Lewis until well after the first down was achieved is an accomplishment, not a failure at all. I absolutely loved that play on many levels - - 1) obviously for what it meant in the game 2) Allen/Develin/Solder beautifully in sync on a great defense that was stacked against that play 3) the fact that, to that moment with less than 2 minutes left in the game, the total rushing yards from the Pats was 28 and they simply hit a switch in the clutch that had been completely absent all day long 4) the crowd's cascading reaction for the next 5 minutes - - it was like a dam had burst and the joy was just unstoppable at that point 5) Belichick's euphoric (yes, euphoric) reaction.

Truly one of my favorite moments of the past 17 years.

BB highlighted this play with Zo on the Bellistrator. Allen got the combo block with Solder. He then did tale out the 2 LBs on the 2nd level. BB called it a 2 for 1. The end zone view was excellent for this play. Great job by Allen.

BB highlighted this play with Zo on the Bellistrator. Allen got the combo block with Solder. He then did tale out the 2 LBs on the 2nd level. BB called it a 2 for 1. The end zone view was excellent for this play. Great job by Allen.
Wow, so totally the opposite of what I saw. I guess that's why I'm a writer and not a head coach, huh?

ps I still hope that Allen and Branch aren't on the team next year, though. Or Fleming. :coffee:

Wow, so totally the opposite of what I saw. I guess that's why I'm a writer and not a head coach, huh?

ps I still hope that Allen and Branch aren't on the team next year, though. Or Fleming. :coffee:
Hoping for Branch next sunday, could play large,

Cheer, BostonTim

Back