Effect Of 18 Game Season On Coaching Changes

harrisonhits

NFL Can GFY
Reaction score
I've though a lot about the proposed change to 2 preseason games and 18 regular season ones. Most of what I've seen people discussing has been how it relates to player injuries and roster sizes. I haven't seen any discussion I can remember on how this will effect coaching changes.

It occurred to me that its going to be really bad for any team that changes head coaches or coordinators. New HCs are already at a disadvantage because the franchise they are taking over is usually in crappy shape and full of the old coach's draft picks and guys.

Anyone who wasn't hired by the time the post season is over would already be at a disadvantage with their draft boards and finding assistant coaches. Now they're only going to be given 2 games to evaluate the players and install their offenses and defenses before the regular season hits the fan.

I already hated the idea from the perspective of increased player injuries and increased fatigue by the time the playoffs roll around. I hate it all the more now that I see any new coaches are going to get fu*ked too. It will make it really hard for the bad franchises to quickly turn it around.

I heard that the players union wants less mandatory stuff in the off season, if they go to an 18 game schedule.

Back