ESPN Laying of 7,000 Employees

3 Point Stan

POW! Right in the kissah.
Reaction score

Big day over at the self-proclaimed "World-Wide Leader" as they're laying off 7,000 employees, including some big-name, on-air talent that includes:
Jeff Van Gundy
Keyshawn Johnson
Jalen Rose
Max Kellerman
Ashley Brewer
Suzy Kolber
Steve Young
Todd McShay
Matt Hasselbeck
Rob Ninkovich
Neil Everett
Chris Chelios

There are definitely some names you like from the list above, and unquestionably, some names you loathe.

I think it is Disney (who owns ESPN) laying off 7,000 across their businesses, not 7,000 ESPN employees (that was how it reads, not trying to say that is what you meant)
Curious how many ESPN actually employees, probably a lot but will look for a link to confirm. I saw one one story on my phone that had that same headline, but in the story they clarify it is Disney in total.

I also saw another story on the on-air talent they laid off and couldn't believe what they were paying them. I have to look that one up too, but Max Kellerman was like 5 mil a year? for that guy?? yikes.

I think it is Disney (who owns ESPN) laying off 7,000 across their businesses, not 7,000 ESPN employees (that was how it reads, not trying to say that is what you meant)
Curious how many ESPN actually employees, probably a lot but will look for a link to confirm. I saw one one story on my phone that had that same headline, but in the story they clarify it is Disney in total.

I also saw another story on the on-air talent they laid off and couldn't believe what they were paying them. I have to look that one up too, but Max Kellerman was like 5 mil a year? for that guy?? yikes.
I don't pay much attention to Disney, but all of their companies/divisions seem to be hemorrhaging: Disney Plus, Theme Parks, ABC, ESPN, and all of their various movie production companies are all not doing well and seemingly have bleak futures. I'm glad that I don't own Disney stock.

Big day over at the self-proclaimed "World-Wide Leader" as they're laying off 7,000 employees, including some big-name, on-air talent that includes:
Jeff Van Gundy
Keyshawn Johnson
Jalen Rose
Max Kellerman
Ashley Brewer
Suzy Kolber
Steve Young
Todd McShay
Matt Hasselbeck
Rob Ninkovich
Neil Everett
Chris Chelios

There are definitely some names you like from the list above, and unquestionably, some names you loathe.

I heard Kellerman is so upset he's thinking of jumping off the Kellerman cliff. :coffee:

The brought Bob Iger back as CEO and he's chopping heads. Disney+ is losing $$$
Couldn't have helped the mood that the latest Pixar movie is doing poorly.

As for Suzy, I liked her but I though I heard she was getting something crazy like 18mil a year (I have to check on that, but if Kellerman was getting 5mil when who the hell knows that they are paying some of them)

I would think that they would dump Kiper rather than McShay. The draft is big ratings for them. Kiper is getting old and relying on McShay to carry some of the work load.
McShay will probably land at NFLN.

The brought Bob Iger back as CEO and he's chopping heads. Disney+ is losing $$$
Couldn't have helped the mood that the latest Pixar movie is doing poorly.

As for Suzy, I liked her but I though I heard she was getting something crazy like 18mil a year (I have to check on that, but if Kellerman was getting 5mil when who the hell knows that they are paying some of them)
I believe that is her net worth. Reports have her at earning around $3 million per year. I really like her but that's a lot of money for a role I can think of at least 5-10 people who could slide right in also be just fine. By comparison, McShay was reportedly earning $400-$500K and I feel as though he probably worked harder than virtually anyone on the cut list.

McShay and Van Gundy are probably the two biggest surprises to me.

For some reason, the train wreck pairing of Mark Jackson and Van Gundy just worked really well for me. I loved their bickering.

I don't pay much attention to Disney, but all of their companies/divisions seem to be hemorrhaging: Disney Plus, Theme Parks, ABC, ESPN, and all of their various movie production companies are all not doing well and seemingly have bleak futures. I'm glad that I don't own Disney stock.
I do own Disney stock (through a manager). I stay out of their way 100% of the time.

That said, I am 100% GLAD Disney is getting smooshed.

Smooshed is a financial term. :shake:

Back