ESPN: Pats guilty as charged in video-gate

Dan Pires

Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3014677

Sources: Goodell determines Pats broke league rules by spying on Jets
By Chris Mortensen
ESPN.com

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has determined that the New England Patriots violated league rules Sunday when they videotaped defensive signals by the New York Jets' coaches, league sources have told ESPN's Chris Mortensen.
NFL security officials confiscated a camera and videotape from Patriots video assistant Matt Estrella on the New England sidelines when it was suspected he was recording the Jets' defensive signals. Sources say the visual evidence confirmed the suspicion.
Goodell is considering severe sanctions, including the possibility of docking the Patriots "multiple draft picks" because it is the competitive violation in the wake of a stern warning to all teams since he became commissioner, the sources said. The Patriots have been suspected in previous incidents.
The Patriots will be allowed an opportunity to present their case by Friday, sources said, most likely via the telephone.
The league also was reviewing a possible violation into the number of radio frequencies the Patriots were using during Sunday's game, sources said. The team did not have a satisfactory explanation when asked about possible irregularities in its communication setup during the game.
Goodell is expected to have a decision no later than Friday but that is not set in stone.
The league refused comment but did confirm Monday that they were reviewing a possible violation by the Patriots.

Chris Mortensen covers the NFL for ESPN.

OK my only question now, who is going to sanction the league for letting the cat out of the bag to ESPN's Chris Mortensen?

Dan Pires on 09-11-2007 at 05:53 PM said:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3014677

Sources: Goodell determines Pats broke league rules by spying on Jets
By Chris Mortensen
ESPN.com

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has determined that the New England Patriots violated league rules Sunday when they videotaped defensive signals by the New York Jets' coaches, league sources have told ESPN's Chris Mortensen.
NFL security officials confiscated a camera and videotape from Patriots video assistant Matt Estrella on the New England sidelines when it was suspected he was recording the Jets' defensive signals. Sources say the visual evidence confirmed the suspicion.
Goodell is considering severe sanctions, including the possibility of docking the Patriots "multiple draft picks" because it is the competitive violation in the wake of a stern warning to all teams since he became commissioner, the sources said. The Patriots have been suspected in previous incidents.
The Patriots will be allowed an opportunity to present their case by Friday, sources said, most likely via the telephone.
The league also was reviewing a possible violation into the number of radio frequencies the Patriots were using during Sunday's game, sources said. The team did not have a satisfactory explanation when asked about possible irregularities in its communication setup during the game.
Goodell is expected to have a decision no later than Friday but that is not set in stone.
The league refused comment but did confirm Monday that they were reviewing a possible violation by the Patriots.

Chris Mortensen covers the NFL for ESPN.

Okay weak stick, poorly managed franchises. Apparently, Patriot hunting is now in season.

i'm really glad this happened because now idiot fans of other teams will always be able to say 'but the patriots cheated to win those superbowls!!!'

thanks belichick

WTF Rodney with HGH, the Pats have been cheating to win their games... I don't know what to believe anymore :(

i think this is dumber than the rodney harrison thing

fnordcircle on 09-11-2007 at 06:05 PM said:
i'm really glad this happened because now idiot fans of other teams will always be able to say 'but the patriots cheated to win those superbowls!!!'

thanks belichick

'Cause they don't do that now?

Who cares what fans of other teams say? My larger problem is that "[t]he Patriots will be allowed an opportunity to present their case by Friday," and yet Commissioner Goodell has already determined their guilt apparently.

If they did this and were stupid enough to get caught, then the Pats deserve the punishment meted out by the NFL. But I don't understand how the Commissioner could have already made a fair conclusion on the matter without having heard from Foxboro yet.

It certainly decreases my opinion of Bill's intelligence, it would have been so easy to have done this incognito, did they really need a credentialed patriots employee on the sidelines with a video camera? Don't you think someone with a camera in the 10th row could have done the same thing with a zoom lens and a cell phone? And to continue to do this after the warning, with the exact same employee? Sheesh. I mean, my time with the CIA was doing asphalt construction, but even I feel I know more....

Do you guys have any idea what this is going to do for D22...I shudder to think (and I know his stupid ass is out here reading this right now, phuck you D, doesn't change the fact that the 'fins still blow)

I waiting to see the final ink on the paper before rendering my judgement.

Well can't say the rest of the season won't be on the up and up........

And now just added to the article:

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello: "No decision has been rendered, we haven't announced anything and the club hasn't been notified."

ESPN didn't think to confirm with the NFL before posting the orginal story??
Sheesh

Sucks. :( Why the heck would they do this? And what if we lose a first round pick?

Well if they are truly guilty of this, they deserve whatever the Commish lays down.

The only things the patriots are guilty of in this is arrogance and stupidity. Real incognito, guys.

That just puts a big fat asterisk by those pretty superbowl wins.

Barry Bonds style.

So what.

:thumb:

September 11th, 2007
A former cameraman speaks
Posted by John Tomase at 3:16 pm

A former Patriots video coordinator e-mailed to say what happened during the Jets game was incredibly common and not a big deal. To wit:

“I read your article with amusement about the Patriots camerman being nabbed at NY. Having worked in the NFL as a video coordinator with both the Pats and the Carolina Panthers, I can tell you this happens all the time. I was often asked by coaches to film opponents, usually during pregame warmups. I find it hard to believe that the Pats would be so brazen with it. We often had cameras hooked up to monitors that the coaches would watch in the booth. I never actually recorded anything, so as not to leave evidence! And I can guarantee you the Jets and everybody else are doing it too.”

waa waa waa and boo hoo

Manweenie going to any lengths here . . .

dhughes721 on 09-11-2007 at 06:09 PM said:
WTF Rodney with HGH, the Pats have been cheating to win their games... I don't know what to believe anymore :(

Maybe you can hook on with the Saint Sister Theresa High School team.

Back