Euro 2012!

Major A$$hole*

Get well soon Babalu!
Reaction score
Starts Friday. ESPN has the broadcasting rights.
Here is who I see going through in each group and beyond.
Group A: Poland, Czech.
I think a combination of home field and some talent will get Poland to the quarters. I hope its a team other than Germany (I haven’t looked at the brackets) that has to take them on at that stage as that will be an extremely hostile environment for the Germans to play in. And the psychological and emotional drain could cost them in the Semis.
Group B: Germany, Netherlands.
Portugal and Denmark are quality opponents that could threaten both favorite teams. This is by far the toughest group in the tournament. This is going to be knock out stage quality soccer in each game. But Netherlands and Germany are too good not to go through.
Group C: Spain, Croatia. Second toughest group. Italy seems in disarray. Same could have been said for them in 06 but I think they have less talent to fall back to this time around. In 06 the turmoil worked in their favor as it gave them the us against the world mentality and brought them closer as a team. This year from what I have been reading they might actually have some issues on defense. I’ll believe that when I see it. If they really do then start preparing for the impending Apocalypse.
Group D: France, England. Both teams have the capability to implode. But France already got that out of the way during the WC. Ukraine and Sweden just don't have the talent to challenge the 2 favorites.
Semi’s: Germany, Spain, Netherlands, France.
Final: Germany, Spain.
Winner: Germany (definitively a biased pick). Picked them not only because I want them to win but also they seem to have a lot of young talent and the nucleus already have very good international tournament experience. They have been knocking on the door for 6 years now. Hopefully they can put it all together and get over the hump.
Golden Boot: Not Gomez (definitively a biased pick). I hope to God, Jogi does not make him the starter. I'd rather see Klose and Schurrle ahead of him. He has a horrible first touch.

I'd be more surprised if England did anything in this tournament than if they didn't. Wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Ukraine made it through as 2 of that group at the cost of England.

England has a pretty decent squad on paper, but they usually suck as a team and Hodgson is an archaic minded manager.

Bummed that Portugal made it through :(
Germany plays some really great football outside the box, but defensively they look a little shaky.

Right now I am 5 for 8. Netherlands without a point and out of the tournament. Who would have thunk it? It looks like Germany will have to go through a couple of parked busses if they are to make the final. Greece will be content on putting 11 behind the ball and hope they catch the German defense napping or get one in on a set piece.
Italy is far more willing and able) to go forward. But they invented buss parking.
Germany needs to get more from Ozil and Podolski if they are to get to the final and win it. So far they have had a sub par tournament. I thought Shurrle looked much more dangerous going forward than Podolski. He seems to have better pace.
Muller has wasted some good chances too.

Germany needs to get more from Ozil and Podolski if they are to get to the final and win it. So far they have had a sub par tournament. I thought Shurrle looked much more dangerous going forward than Podolski. He seems to have better pace.
Muller has wasted some good chances too.

Seems that Jogi agrees with you. Podolski and Müller on the bench tonight, along with Gomez. Schürrle, Reus and Klose in. Obvious move, Müller and Podolski need space to be effective, they won't get a lot of that today.

4-2 and it wasn't even that close. Bastian had a game to forget about. I thought Klose looked good. He seems much more involved in the action that Gomez does. I thought both the young-ings looked good. They have far better pace than their counterparts. They lack in the experience and the defensive know how though. I think Jogi will play it safe in the Semis. I hope he keeps Podolski out of the linup for either Schurrle or Reuss. I'd be ok with Muller starting but his goal drought is concerning.
The defense played really high today, due to the Greeks keeping 10 players in their own half 99% of the time. And as per usual they got caught napping. Again! :banghead:
Despite what 4 goals would sugest they were again very wasteful today. They could have put the game out of reach in the first 30 minutes. Against the Greeks it didn't matter. It will matter from now on. Ozil can not afford to miss a chance like that against Italy.
By the way did Steve MacManaman really say that this was the most lopsided draw he had ever seen (during the 6 minutes that the game was tied at 1-1)? Did he spend the CL final in a drunken coma or was he abducted by aliens and had his memory erased by an anal probe? And are England based websites serious when they call Chelskys victory "heroic"?" If that was heroic what would they have called it if the Dutch had beaten Spain in the WC final?
Un-be-fracking-livable! :banghead:

Our defense worries me. They didn't look good on that counter-attack by the Greeks that let to their first goal. Both Hummels and Boatong looked like the didn't really care and Samaras could score with easy. They can't get caught napping like that against England or Italy and I don't expect them to because we won't face a team that will play so defensive like the Greeks. I just hope that the defense will step it up on free kicks and corners. They have been our achilles heel so far.

Our defense worries me. They didn't look good on that counter-attack by the Greeks that let to their first goal. Both Hummels and Boatong looked like the didn't really care and Samaras could score with easy. They can't get caught napping like that against England or Italy and I don't expect them to because we won't face a team that will play so defensive like the Greeks. I just hope that the defense will step it up on free kicks and corners. They have been our achilles heel so far.
Italy invented parking the buss. Catenacio! But usually they do it after they have taken a 1-0 lead. So the key will be to not fall behind or it's going to be extremely hard to get a good shot in. Spain plays keep away so well that they don't really need to park the buss. France gives more opportunities. But they can create them just as well. England, I don't even know what they are all about.

And Spain bores another opponent into submission. I'm surprised every one inside the stadium didn't fall asleep by halftime.
Who to root for CR7 or Team Snore?:choices:
:suicide:

Back