First jobs

Then at 16 I spent the summer surveying on a state crew in southbridge MA.
I used to live in Charlton and play softball in Southbridge.

I also agree with your assessment of it. It's like Holyoke Junior.

Last edited:
I started with a paper route when I was 13 and the highlight of the route was Mrs. Mack who lived in Gaslight Village, a big apartment complex in South Weymouth.

Mrs. Mack was sort of a boozier version of Stiffler's Mom from American Pie. All bleached blonde, busty and heavy eye makeup. On collection day, I would knock at her door
because she never left an envelope and she would invariably yell "I can't come to the do-ah because I ain't go no clothes on" and I'd mumble something low and knock
again because she owed like 2 months worth and I'd about had it with her act. Then she'd open the do-ah and I might see a bare shoulder, but it was better than
nothing. At least I got something out of the deal.
I wish my newspaper delivery highlight was that. Mine was a former Red Sox pitcher named Bill Spanswick. He only pitched a couple of times for the Sox but, he's kind of famous for being on Tony Conigliaro's rookie card.

1703377504637.png

I was scared shitless to collect from him. I was a huge Red Sox fan (still am) and I had a hard time asking him for money. He was a great guy, it was me being starstruck.

I wish my newspaper delivery highlight was that. Mine was a former Red Sox pitcher named Bill Spanswick. He only pitched a couple of times for the Sox but, he's kind of famous for being on Tony Conigliaro's rookie card.

View attachment 23305

I was scared shitless to collect from him. I was a huge Red Sox fan (still am) and I had a hard time asking him for money. He was a great guy, it was me being starstruck.

Mine was an apparently bisexual middle school teacher who once answered the door wearing nothing but a robe that only went halfway down his ass. He pointed to a stack of Penthouse magazines and told me to feel free to check them out while he went to get my money. I was 13 and really didn’t know what to do (I waited for the money and got the hell out of there. My sister was at his school and said everyone knew to keep a distance from the bastard.

He was not a customer for very long.

After a couple of summers bailing hay in up state New York my first "real" job was bagging groceries and collecting carriages at the Market Basket on Wood Street in Lowell back in 1983. The MB job was easy. The bailing job was NOT. To this day when I smell hay I am instantly taken back to those summers. The heat. The shit food. The flies on the farm. The "sugar water" and the Beatles playing from the 8-track on the lead tractor come screaming back to my brain.

I don't look back on it fondly.

Delivered papers like many others. If I wanted any dough for movies or a treat of any kind I was going to have to work for it. Was doing 3 routes at one point. That lasted until I got attacked and torn up bad by a dog on my route. Long story there.
First "employment" was pumping gas at the station up the street, and actually enjoyed that, I worked my way into the repair shop and became a pretty fair wrench, experience that has served me well to this day.

Back