Gilmore Released

At first, I was shocked that BB was going to release/and ultimately trade Gilmore. But, after reading what Chevs posted on...about Gilmore's lackluster performance last year, it does make sense.

It's possible that Gilmore plays well again like he did a few years ago, but, it's also possible that Gilmore isn't very good anymore.

I forgot how bad that he was last year.
He was as checked out as Brady in 2019 and it showed up on the field. For what his ceiling should be, he underperformed the most of any veteran player last year, this side of John Simon.

So BB sweetening his money in 2020 still wasn’t enough to make Gilmore happy which is telling. Gilmore himself weakener his value for what his goal was.

What the media should be writing about his how these primadonnas get big egos and act unprofessionally in the process.

He did talk about that. That is why Bill should have traded him last October. He would have gotten more than a 6th then. The problem is we wanted the #1 and a player instead of just taking what we could get. Bill overplayed his hand and now is left with a #6 in 2023.

View: https://twitter.com/diannaESPN/status/1323607113512456192?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1323607113512456192%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=

BB should have traded Gilmore then, but, he didn't. It was a mistake.

If Babooshka ever tries to pull what he did with Parcells, he would be the biggest schmuck in NFL history behind the idiot Modell who fired BB in Cleveland.

He did talk about that. That is why Bill should have traded him last October. He would have gotten more than a 6th then. The problem is we wanted the #1 and a player instead of just taking what we could get. Bill overplayed his hand and now is left with a #6 in 2023.

View: https://twitter.com/diannaESPN/status/1323607113512456192?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1323607113512456192%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=

What if a 5th or 6th rd pick was what people were offering?

Fact: You are wrong.

Carolina was the only team willing to pay as high as a 6th. No other team drove the price up.

Do you have reading comprehension issues?

If Babooshka ever tries to pull what he did with Parcells, he would be the biggest schmuck in NFL history behind the idiot who fired BB in Cleveland.
We don’t know that unless he turned down a 4th or 5th.

The money Gilmore wants at his age, lessens his value.

This is not hard to understand.

We don’t know that unless he turned down a 4th or 5th.

The money Gilmore wants at his age, lessens his value.

This is not hard to understand.
It is not only the compensation but where would he be going to. BB sent him out of conference and Gilmore got to go home. Maybe the phins were offering more, would you trade him to them? Or would trading him to the phins bring calls for him to be fired? Actually BB cannot do anything without bringing calls to be fired so there you have it.

I'm talking about in 2020...not 2021. You need to read...
I am talking about either scenario. I read just fine. I also know the market and know what BB does.

Show me evidence BB rejected a higher pick and which teams made offers.

Gilmore put his house on the market to pull it off the market at the deadline. It was a full court press yet there are no reports of any team trading a pick during a pandemic losing money hand over fist to pay a 31 year old CB top market money like he has said he wants.

Show the evidence of it and you win.

It is not only the compensation but where would he be going to. BB sent him out of conference and Gilmore got to go home. Maybe the phins were offering more, would you trade him to them? Or would trading him to the phins bring calls for him to be fired? Actually BB cannot do anything without bringing calls to be fired so there you have it.
Exactly. Unlikely he would trade to an AFC team as it would be foolish to do so. So, it was at most 16 NFC teams competing and no one else but Carolina that we know of made an offer.

Sounds like Ziegler said “other teams” are interested but that’s classic negotiation speak. It’s clear no one else is willing to rent a guy off a torn quad who has’t played since forever and then needs to keep him
happy with an extension.

I thought Dallas would for sure bite because it’s a Jerrah move all the way, but even they didn’t better the 6th rder.

Nothing worse than the media treating the intelligent fan like an idiot.

One last fact:

BB had to announce he was releasing Gilmore to generate interest. That’s very telling.

As for 2020, there is no evidence anyone offered anything at all and Rapoport is saying teams who were concerned about his drop in play at his age.

How is this BB’s fault again? Could it be another self important player over-values himself and is more focused on another deal than playing well on the field?

Ding, ding, ding!

Gilmore wanted to stay AND be paid 17 mil
per. Good on BB for saying no.

It’s going to be hard to keep JC Jackson, too, folks. BB doesn’t get into the bidding market on the higher priced positions.

If Babooshka ever tries to pull what he did with Parcells, he would be the biggest schmuck in NFL history behind the idiot Modell who fired BB in Cleveland.

"If I'm going to be asked to cook the meal, I'd like to be able to pick the groceries."

The Patriots were still trying to sign him to an extension. They didn't want to trade him. Back then or now. Gilmore rejected their offer.

They could have received more earlier probably. But they wanted to keep him. He refused.

The Patriots were still trying to sign him to an extension. They didn't want to trade him. Back then or now. Gilmore rejected their offer.

They could have received more earlier probably. But they wanted to keep him. He refused.
20/20 vision in the rear view...

The trade does look bad. But, nobody knew at the time that Gilmore was going to play bad last year and demand a pay raise.

This was my point. Nobody has a time machine and a 100% clear vision into the future. It would be awesome though.

Correct. His demands are out of control. He's using his 2019 season as his negotiating position, but Pats fans should know that BB doesn't pay for past laurels. I would imagine he tried to sell him on finishing here and Gilmore simply wants more than he's likely worth, hence the 6th rd pick.

I mean, every single guy who BB walked from (eventually) did this from Law, Samuel, Branch, Seymour, Vrabel, Welker (I want Andre Johnson money) Chandler Jones (Thuney, Mitchell and money saved for Flowers and Mr. February), Butler, Dion Lewis, Brady and now Gilmore. All of these are tied to the obvious and that's money, but at an older age (minus Chandler Jones).

BB pays on projected production, not on past glories. And, the thing is, he's been right about the decision almost every single time in the name of the team's benefit.

If Mac Jones is legit for a decade or more, it's the right move there, too.

So, Ben Volin saying BB hasn't given a second contract to a 1st rd pick since 2012 in Hightower is true, but it doesn't mean he hasn't been brilliant in building a 2nd dynasty. He was brilliant. The trades, the UDFAs (no GM has done it better), the sneaky good FA moves, and yes, the solid drafts minus 2017 where Goodell cheated, have all been a part of the brilliance from the greatest GM in sports history. A GM so great, Woody Johnson told owners they were hiring a guy willing to lie to the NFL customer to try to slow him down.

It's goal post-moving 101. For years and years it was "BB is cheap", yet now he spends in FA and he's doing it all wrong. Hilarious narratives all over the place.

Bill is never getting fired. He will resign at some point.

The trade does look bad. But, nobody knew at the time that Gilmore was going to play bad last year and demand a pay raise.

This was my point. Nobody has a time machine and a 100% clear vision into the future. It would be awesome though.
What did you expect in return for Gilmore last year?

20/20 vision in the rear view...
A lot of that revisionist arm chair GM stuff going on right now and it's easily refutable. Some of our fans act like BB's deviating from anything he's done in the past. He would have had to have traded Gilmore at his highest pre pandemic knowledge, which means there would have been 2 full seasons left on his deal. I can't think of one guy, not one, where he dealt the player for a high rd pick where he did it with more than 1 season remaining on the contract.

Not Seymour, not Chandler Jones, not Jamie Collins. All were in the last year's of the deal. Gilmore was not.

Anyone saying BB should have dealt him after 2019 is being disingenuous yet again and changing the timeline. I heard absolutely none of that talk as the pandemic unfolded in March of 2020.

So, if we're upset that we didn't get trade Gilmore at his highest market value, since BB could have predicted him having a bad year and getting injured, shouldn't we be just as upset that he didn't trade Brady before he hit free agency. Like say, maybe in 2019, around the time he sank the whole season crying about being the most miserable 8-0 QB in history? BB should have gone straight to Kraft and told him he was done with Brady, time to trade the malcontent.

Back