Going to the Super Bowl

patfan64

Generally Aware
Reaction score
So there is a very slim chance of me scoring a ticket to this game. I would need to cover the cost of airfare and hotel room for the weekend for the guy with the tickets. He gets them free from CBS.

Question to anyone who has gone - is it worth the money, time and aggravation?

With the Gov't shutdown, I expect the TSA lines to be through the roof. I would have to take Monday and probably Tuesday off from work.

It's my birthday weekend and we always have a big Super Bowl party at the house (no matter who is playing). My wife is OK with me going to the game (outwardly) but I think would rather have me home for the celebration.

Would love to hear from those that have gone and seen the Pats play.

So there is a very slim chance of me scoring a ticket to this game. I would need to cover the cost of airfare and hotel room for the weekend for the guy with the tickets. He gets them free from CBS.

Question to anyone who has gone - is it worth the money, time and aggravation?

With the Gov't shutdown, I expect the TSA lines to be through the roof. I would have to take Monday and probably Tuesday off from work.

It's my birthday weekend and we always have a big Super Bowl party at the house (no matter who is playing). My wife is OK with me going to the game (outwardly) but I think would rather have me home for the celebration.

Would love to hear from those that have gone and seen the Pats play.

Have you ever been in the Atlanta airport when TSA is full staffed? It's a fucking nightmare. I imagine trying to get through security to come home with a skeleton TSA is going to be the threshold of hell.

Honestly, driving to Atlanta from here isn't that bad. Save you money and aggravation if you plan it well

The whole point is that the guy with the tickets wants to fly and stay in Atlanta. Hence the offer of a free ticket to the guy who covers the costs.

Hartsfield-Jackson expects a record-setting 110,000 passengers going through security on the Monday after the Super Bowl. That’s more than 18 percent higher than the previous record of 93,082 passengers at Atlanta airport checkpoints on the Friday before Memorial Day 2018.

The airport is recommending a 5-4-3-2-1 rule for travelers leaving Atlanta after the Super Bowl:

Check out of your hotel 5 hours before departure
Turn in your rental car or call Uber or Lyft 4 hours before departure
Check bags 3 hours before departure
Get in line for security 2 hours before departure
Be at your gate 1 hour before departure

The airport is also advising travelers not to pack their Super Bowl programs in checked luggage. That’s because it’s made of materials that will trigger machines that screen bags. Instead, when going through the TSA checkpoint, take the program out of your carry-on bag and put it in a separate bin.

Everything I've heard is that if you can, you should leave on Tuesday. Even with a fully staffed TSA, Monday will be a nightmare. Another alternative is to use Charlotte and drive a few hours in each direction.

Have you ever been in the Atlanta airport when TSA is full staffed? It's a fucking nightmare. I imagine trying to get through security to come home with a skeleton TSA is going to be the threshold of hell.

I used to do a lot of travel for work several years ago. I flew through Atlanta once. I would fly through Juneau if necessary to avoid Atlanta again.

Everything I've heard is that if you can, you should leave on Tuesday. Even with a fully staffed TSA, Monday will be a nightmare. Another alternative is to use Charlotte and drive a few hours in each direction.

Charlotte is a good idea. That airport is a cakewalk and it's only a 3.5 hour drive to Atlanta. You'll be standing in check-in and security for that long in Atlanta.

---------- Post added at 11:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 AM ----------

I used to do a lot of travel for work several years ago. I flew through Atlanta once. I would fly through Juneau if necessary to avoid Atlanta again.

Absolutely. I used to travel a ton as well. I still rank Atlanta as the worst airport in America.

Everything I've heard is that if you can, you should leave on Tuesday. Even with a fully staffed TSA, Monday will be a nightmare. Atlanta strip clubs will be fascinating after the big game. Another alternative is to use Charlotte and drive a few hours in each direction.

Fyp

Has he checked into hotels yet? They are going to be super duper expensive. Maybe try renting a camper, probably be cheaper.

Has he checked into hotels yet? They are going to be super duper expensive. Maybe try renting a camper, probably be cheaper.

Yesterday, I found a flight out of LaGuardia and hotel in Atlanta package on Expedia for $850 per person. Seemed reasonable.

But the longer I wait, the tougher it's going to be to get it done.

The flight to Charlotte sounds good but the cost of the rental car will have to be figured in.

Edit: So I looked at a flight/hotel/rental car package on Expedia. Found them under $450 per person. Hell, I might just go down myself and try and scalp a ticket to this game.

Back