Harrison37 Iraq deployment support thread

Denver made Saurbrun an offer and the Pats have matched. From Reiss:
The Patriots have matched the Broncos' free-agent offer to punter Todd Sauerbrun.

Last Tuesday, the Broncos and Sauerbrun agreed to a one-year contract that could be worth up to $1.4 million with incentives. The Patriots had seven days to match the offer, as part of a first right of refusal.

Pats are looking at Tory James of the Bengals.

Gay made a trip to visit Mangini...maybe the Pats will get a 2nd back?

Here's Reiss's overview on the CB situation:
With restricted free agent cornerback Randall Gay scheduled to visit with the Jets tonight and tomorrow, here is a look at the Patriots' depth at the position:

Players under contract:

Willie Andrews -- Seventh-round draft choice in 2006 plays both cornerback and safety. Was used primarily on special teams in 2006. Contract through 2009.
Ellis Hobbs -- A third-round draft choice in 2005, he has started 17 regular-season games over two seasons, while playing in 31 games. Projects as a starter in 2007. Contract through 2009.
Eddie Jackson -- Free-agent signee is recovering from an ACL injury and likely won't be ready for action until October at the earliest. Enters his fourth NFL season in 2007 and has been primarily a special teams player. Contract through 2008.
Chad Scott -- Enters his 11th season and is coming off a year in which he started nine games. At 6-foot-1, 205 pounds, he is the sturdiest corner on the team, and also is an emergency option at safety. Contract through 2007.
Players who have yet to sign their tender offers:

Randall Gay -- Restricted free agent was tendered a one-year, $1.3 million contract. Had his best season as a rookie in 2004 when he started 12 games (including playoffs).
Asante Samuel -- A fourth-round draft choice in 2003, he was assigned the franchise tag this offseason. If he signs the tender, it would pay him $7.79 million on a one-year deal.
Exclusive rights free agents who have yet to officially sign:

Antwain Spann -- Second-year player appeared in eight games in 2006, primarily on special teams.
Gemara Williams -- Joined the team as a rookie free agent in 2006 but didn't make the roster after sustaining an injury. The former University of Buffalo product is listed on the team's most recent roster. Like Spann, he projects mostly as a special teams contributor at this time.
EXTRA POINT: Although he has played primarily safety since joining the team in 2003, Eugene Wilson is also an option at cornerback. He worked at cornerback at the beginning of 2006 training camp and played the position extensively at the University of Illinois. His contract is through 2007.

Maroney reportedly had a rib subluxation:
Slipped Rib Syndrome

Slipped rib syndrome, sometimes known as rib subluxation, is a common cause of mid-back, chest, and/or abdominal pain. Its characteristic feature is sharp rib cage pain with deep or heavy breathing. Slipped rib syndrome is frequently confused with rib fracture or disorders of the esophagus, heart, or stomach.
-----
What Causes Slipped Rib Syndrome?

Slipped rib syndrome generally arises from a trauma to the rib cage or from heavy exertion involving the chest wall. Many patients recall a specific incident that initiated the condition, while others feel that it “just came out of nowhere” or after waking up from a nap.

Slipped rib syndrome results from ligamentous injury or trauma to the costal (rib) cartilage of (usually) the 8th, 9th, or 10th rib. When the ligaments are stretched or ruptured, they allow the cartilage tip of the rib to slip upward and impinge on the intercostal nerve. Children are particularly vulnerable to slipped rib syndrome, as their ligaments have not fully matured and are naturally “loose.”
-----
How Is Slipped Rib Syndrome Treated?

Many cases resolve on their own or after a short course of prescribed treatment. Most individuals with slipped rib syndrome may expect their symptoms to last about a week. Several additional treatment options are listed below.

Chiropractic manipulation is the treatment of choice in many cases, often providing complete resolution within one or two visits. Individuals with slipped rib syndrome may also benefit from massage (muscle work) that is given for spasm and muscle tightness.
Topical analgesic balms are sometimes helpful to reduce the pain often associated with slipped rib syndrome.
Ice or cold packs provide quick, soothing relief but should not be used for more than a few minutes, as the intense cold from these packs can damage the skin if left on too long.

Source: http://www.healthyroads.com/mylibrary/data/ash_ref/htm/art_slippedribsyndrome.asp

An article on OL experience moving from college to the NFL: http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...elin/stories/040807dnspogosselin.365760f.html

And an excerpt from Peter King to spice up your dreary days!
Quote of the Week III
"Wes Welker is a good football player ... but you're not going to win championships with that kind of player.''
-- Sirius NFL Radio host and former Dallas personnel czar Gil Brandt, on his satellite show last week, discussing the wide receiver/returner who was traded from Miami to New England last month.

Now, of every quote that has been uttered by every person with some connection to the NFL this offseason, I can guarantee you this one will make the Patriots' bulletin board (either real or mental). There's no question that Bill Belichick will make sure that Welker knows Brandt uttered these words when training camp begins in Foxboro in July -- and likely beforehand.

I've always liked Brandt, but this kind of thinking strikes me as the reason why the classic NFL personnel man -- which Brandt is -- sometimes outthinks himself. Undrafted in 2004 because he was too small (5-foot-9, 180 pounds) and supposedly not fast enough, Welker signed with San Diego, got waived and hooked up with Miami. He has no business being a productive NFL player. But he is a good player for a simple reason: He will not be denied. Only two players in the last 15 years -- Derrick Mason with Tennessee in 2001 and Welker in Miami last year -- have led their teams in punt returns, kick returns and receptions in the same year. He works hard and reminds the Patriots of an offensive Tedy Bruschi ... or the second coming of Troy Brown. Speaking of versatile receiver/returners, Brown and Welker have a lot in common. Through seven rounds of the 1993 draft, no NFL team picked Brown, a receiver/returner from Marshall. Through seven rounds of the 2004 draft, no NFL team picked Welker, a receiver/returner from Texas Tech. And Brown has been a key component of three Super Bowl teams because of his winning versatility -- the same trait we've seen in Welker for the past three years.

It's foolish to guarantee the Patriots will ever win a Super Bowl with Welker on the roster. But I will disagree with Brandt. Welker is the kind of player you win championships with.

Quarterback Drew Bledsoe announced his retirement on Wednesday, in a press release issued by Athletes First.

"I feel so fortunate, so honored, to have played this game that I love for so long, with so many great players, and in front of so many wonderful fans," Bledsoe said. "I fulfilled a childhood dream the first time I stepped on an NFL field, and the league did not let me down one time. I retire with a smile on my face, in good health, and ready to spend autumns at my kids' games instead of my own. I'm excited to start the next chapter of my life."

2007 PATRIOTS SCHEDULE
Preseason
Date Opponent Time Network
PS Week 1 at Tampa Bay Buccaneers TBD WCVB
PS Week 2 Tennessee Titans TBD WCVB
Friday, Aug. 24 at Carolina Panthers 8:00 p.m. CBS
PS Week 4 New York Giants TBD WCVB

Regular Season
Date Opponent Time Network
Sunday, Sept. 9 at New York Jets 1:00 p.m. CBS
Sunday, Sept. 16 San Diego Chargers 8:15 p.m. NBC
Sunday, Sept. 23 Buffalo Bills 1:00 p.m. CBS
Monday, Oct. 1 at Cincinnati Bengals 8:30 p.m. ESPN
Sunday, Oct. 7 Cleveland Browns 1:00 p.m. CBS
Sunday, Oct. 14 at Dallas Cowboys 4:15 p.m. CBS
Sunday, Oct. 21 at Miami Dolphins 1:00 p.m. CBS
Sunday, Oct. 28 Washington Redskins 4:15 p.m. FOX
Sunday, Nov. 4 at Indianapolis Colts 4:15 p.m. CBS
Sunday, Nov. 11 BYE WEEK
Sunday, Nov. 18 at Buffalo Bills 1:00 p.m.* CBS*
Sunday, Nov. 25 Philadelphia Eagles 8:15 p.m.* NBC*
Monday, Dec. 3 at Baltimore Ravens 8:30 p.m. ESPN
Sunday, Dec. 9 Pittsburgh Steelers 1:00 p.m.* CBS*
Sunday, Dec. 16 New York Jets 1:00 p.m.* CBS*
Sunday, Dec. 23 Miami Dolphins 1:00 p.m.* CBS*
Saturday, Dec. 29 at New York Giants 8:30 p.m. NFL Network
*-Game time and network subject to possible flexible scheduling adjustment

Based on 2006 records, only Oakland and Buffalo have a tougher strength of schedule line-up. According to folks who looked at this much closer, the Pats at least don't play any teams coming off a bye this season.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2007/04/james_agrees.html
April 17, 2007
James agrees

The Patriots have reached an agreement in principle on a one-year contract with free-agent cornerback Tory James.

The agreement was initially reported by ESPN's John Clayton and the NFL Network's Adam Schefter.

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli has more on the story here.

Those reports have since been confirmed by a league source.

James, who turns 34 next month, has played for Denver (1996-99), Oakland (2000-2002) and Cincinnati (2003-2006). In his 11 seasons in the NFL, he has played all 16 games in a season in all but two years. He has 39 career interceptions, with 21 coming in the last four years.

At 6-foot-2, 192 pounds, James adds size and depth to the Patriots' cornerback corps.

The Patriots' cornerback breakdown looks like this:

Players under contract
Willie Andrews
Ellis Hobbs
Eddie Jackson
Chad Scott

Players who have agreed to terms on a contract
Tory James

Players who have yet to sign their tender offers
Randall Gay
Asante Samuel

Exclusive rights free agents who have yet to officially sign
Antwain Spann
Gemara Williams

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2007/04/free_agent_reca.html
April 14, 2007
Free agent recap

Free agency began in early March, and here is a recap of which Patriots players were scheduled for unrestricted free agency and their current status:

Tully Banta-Cain -- Outside linebacker landed in San Francisco with a three-year deal.

Troy Brown -- Receiver remains a free agent and is recovering from offseason knee surgery, which has affected the pace of any negotiations.

Don Davis -- Linebacker retired.

Heath Evans -- Fullback signed a two-year extension with the Patriots on the eve of free agency.

Barry Gardner -- Linebacker is still recovering from a broken leg, and remains a free agent.

Daniel Graham -- Tight end received a lucrative five-year deal with the Broncos.

Larry Izzo -- Linebacker and special teams captain signed a one-year extension with the Patriots.

Dan Koppen -- Center signed an extension with the Patriots through 2011 last October.

Ray Mickens -- Cornerback remains a free agent.

Patrick Pass -- Running back has hired a new agent, and remains a free agent.

Asante Samuel -- Cornerback was assigned the franchise tag by the Patriots but has not signed the tender offer.

Todd Sauerbrun -- Punter had a free-agent offer from Denver which the Patriots matched through the right of first refusal. NFL Players Association is fighting the right of first refusal, with a hearing scheduled for Tuesday. The results of that hearing will determine Sauerbrun's status.

Junior Seau -- Remains a free agent. An option to return once his broken arm recovers, with the decision likely hinging on how many linebackers the Patriots draft.

Vinny Testaverde -- Remains a free agent. Patriots have just two quarterbacks on the roster, and could add a veteran if a signal-caller is not acquired in the draft.

Ken Walter -- Punter remains a free agent.

You must be busy as all get out! Hope all is well, I've heard Shawn's unit took another casualty, that and the extension on the deployment has him down. His Papa deploys to Afghanistan next winter, we'll see if his big brother comes home from there before then.

The Pats will be shopping for second day OT for sure, Practice Squader Sean Bubin filed retirement papers. Hope you have time to check on the draft when it goes down.

Stay Safe!

Yes- we've been crazy busy, unfortunately. :( And you alluded as to why in your post.

But, we do have another 4th Brigade in action video to the Foo Fighters' "Times Like These" that will go up on You Tube today or tomorrow.

I'll post the link when I get it.

http://weekendamerica.publicradio.org/programs/2007/04/21/looking_at_the_virgi.html

Truth be told- I haven't heard the interview and don't know how they edited it to make me sound. It's only available on Real Player, and we don't have that here, so until I can download Real Player, I'm out of luck.

But, I could use an unbiased perspective.

There were a couple of left-field (dare I say left-wing?) questions thrown my way, but I think I did OK.

So, what's the verdict?

Harrison37 on 04-23-2007 at 12:20 PM said:
http://weekendamerica.publicradio.org/programs/2007/04/21/looking_at_the_virgi.html

Truth be told- I haven't heard the interview and don't know how they edited it to make me sound. It's only available on Real Player, and we don't have that here, so until I can download Real Player, I'm out of luck.

There were a couple of left-field (dare I say left-wing?) questions thrown my way, but I think I did OK.

So, what's the verdict?
I just listened to the interview and you did excellently Kirk :thumb: :thumb:

my lib-radar didn't detect any real curveballs from the Hostess and your responses were not edited in any truncated way that I could see to make you come off bad or anything

you are WAY, WAY too articulate to be hangin' out here with the likes of us-ens

stay safe -- we are thinking of you

Kirk, Ya done good, and surprisingly enough, so did NPR. Stay safe, my prayers for you and the rest of the guys, and for the famlies and friends of our fallen heroes. God Bless.

Harrison37 on 04-23-2007 at 12:20 PM said:

So, what's the verdict?

Here's another story. Not the greatest, but does get to the heart of the matter over why this environment is so complex.

Never mind that the "witness" claims to know why his brother was shooting into the air (where the Apaches were flying), yet didn't speak to him at any time after the incident.

This is the kind of crapola you deal with over here- they sound so sincere, but will tell bold-faced lies as smooth and sweet as honey. The reporter bought into it, but if you step back and listen to what the witness is claiming what really happened, it's a pretty big load of BS.

You be the judge.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20070424/wl_csm/ocollateral

I've not made an effort to study Islamic or Arabic culture to any extent, but some of my reading suggests they are encouraged to lie as a matter of religious expediency. However, I'm sure our media mavens make a special effort to get cultural background before they visit with the locals...:banghead:

Harrison37 on 04-27-2007 at 06:02 AM said:
Here's another story. Not the greatest, but does get to the heart of the matter over why this environment is so complex.

Never mind that the "witness" claims to know why his brother was shooting into the air (where the Apaches were flying), yet didn't speak to him at any time after the incident.

This is the kind of crapola you deal with over here- they sound so sincere, but will tell bold-faced lies as smooth and sweet as honey. The reporter bought into it, but if you step back and listen to what the witness is claiming what really happened, it's a pretty big load of BS.

You be the judge.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20070424/wl_csm/ocollateral

This guy is squarely in our corner...

Jeff Emanuel is a milblogger here on behalf of redstate.com, but he ran into a pair of Spanish journalists who had been with one of our units for a couple of weeks and immediately wanted to get on board after hearing them talk about us.

Here's an entry he did on us sight unseen, and Jeff's now on the ground, so expecting much bigger things in his blog over the next week or so.

http://jeffemanuel.blogspot.com/

While at the Combined Press Information Center (CPIC) here in Baghdad today, a pair of Spanish journalists – a newspaper reporter and a photojournalist – walked in, fresh from their embed with the 1-4 Cavalry of the 1st Infantry Division in Iraq. They had spent two weeks amongst the troops there, living and going on missions with them, including house-to-house searches and seizures, and their impressions of these soldiers were extremely clear.

“Absolutely amazing,” said David Beriain, the reporter (and the only one who spoke English), of the young Cavalry troops. “In Spain, it’s embarrassing – our soldiers are ashamed to be in the army. These young men – and they seem so young! – are so proud of what they do, and do it so well, even though it is dangerous and they could very easily be killed.” Beriain explained that the company he had been embedded with had lost three men in the span of six days while he was there – one to a sniper and two to an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) which had blown an armored Humvee into the air and flipped it onto its roof. Despite this, he said, and despite some of the things which they might have said in the heat of the moment after seeing another comrade die, the soldiers’ resolve and morale was unshaken in the long term, and they remained committed to carrying out their mission to the best of their ability for the duration of their tour here.

It was in the process of performing that mission, of coping with the loss of loved ones, and of just being themselves as American soldiers, that these young men were able to win over the admiration and affection of more than one journalist who had arrived in their midst harboring a less-than-positive opinion of the Iraq war, and of those who were tasked with prosecuting it.

“I love those guys,” Beriain said, looking wistfully out the window of our cloister here in the Green Zone. “From the first time you go kick a door with them, they accept you – you’re one of them. I’ve even got a “family photo” with them” to remember them by. “I really hated to leave.”

Such a radical transformation – and such a strong bond of affection – forged in so little time. “It’s those common experiences,” Beriain explained, “where you are all in danger, and you go through it together. It builds a relationship instantly.”

It doesn’t matter how skeptical of the war a journalist might be, according to an Army public affairs officer (PAO) who spoke with me about it on condition of anonymity. “So often, they come out of that experience and – even if their opinion of the war hasn’t changed – they’re completely won over by the troops.”

“I was one of those,” admitted Beriain, speaking broken English and blinking away tears. “No matter what you think of the war, or what has happened here, you cannot be around the soldiers and not be completely affected. They are amazing people, and they represent themselves and the Army better than anyone could ever imagine.” A retired Army officer concurred, telling me that “young troops are some of the best good will ambassadors we've ever produced. It would never occur to one to not tell you what he's really thinking, and they are so earnest” that it is almost impossible not to be won over by them if given enough time.

The biggest recent case of a journalist with an anti-war mindset being completely overwhelmed into a change of heart by American soldiers, according to the PAO, was a Greek reporter who had been embedded with a cavalry unit that became entrenched in a 45-minute firefight with insurgents. Taking cover and fearing for his life for the almost hour-long duration of the battle, the journalist had the best view possible of American soldiers in action against an armed and murderous enemy, and credits his having lived to tell the tale directly to those young troops.

“He had tears in his eyes as he talked about it,” said the PAO. “He just kept saying, “they saved my life, they saved my life...these are great men; they are heroes.” He couldn’t get through the story without choking up – and this was a man who had arrived here with all of the disdain for the Iraq mission and for the American soldiers who he saw as the bad guys in this fight.”

While it may be decried by some for causing journalists, who claim the utopian titles of “objective” and “neutral” for their reportage, to lose their cold detachment and actually begin to see the soldiers they live alongside as humans, it is that very fact that makes the practice of embedding reporters with military units so beneficial to both parties. Rather than observing events from a safely detached distance – and thus being able to remove the human element from the equation – embedded reporters are forced to face up to the humanity of their subjects, and to share common experiences – often of the life-and-death variety – with those who they are covering. Human nature being what it is, such close working conditions, and such common experiences, will have an effect on both parties involved – and it is a testament both to the soldiers themselves, and to the journalists who volunteer to live and work alongside them, that that effect has, in so many cases, been so positive.

Re: This guy is squarely in our corner...

Excellent read, those are the kids I knew, you have to love them! Thanks for the link Kirk!

Harrison37 on 04-28-2007 at 05:50 AM said:
Jeff Emanuel is a milblogger here on behalf of redstate.com, but he ran into a pair of Spanish journalists who had been with one of our units for a couple of weeks and immediately wanted to get on board after hearing them talk about us.

Here's an entry he did on us sight unseen, and Jeff's now on the ground, so expecting much bigger things in his blog over the next week or so.

http://jeffemanuel.blogspot.com/

While at the Combined Press Information Center (CPIC) here in Baghdad today, a pair of Spanish journalists – a newspaper reporter and a photojournalist – walked in, fresh from their embed with the 1-4 Cavalry of the 1st Infantry Division in Iraq. They had spent two weeks amongst the troops there, living and going on missions with them, including house-to-house searches and seizures, and their impressions of these soldiers were extremely clear.

“Absolutely amazing,” said David Beriain, the reporter (and the only one who spoke English), of the young Cavalry troops. “In Spain, it’s embarrassing – our soldiers are ashamed to be in the army. These young men – and they seem so young! – are so proud of what they do, and do it so well, even though it is dangerous and they could very easily be killed.” Beriain explained that the company he had been embedded with had lost three men in the span of six days while he was there – one to a sniper and two to an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) which had blown an armored Humvee into the air and flipped it onto its roof. Despite this, he said, and despite some of the things which they might have said in the heat of the moment after seeing another comrade die, the soldiers’ resolve and morale was unshaken in the long term, and they remained committed to carrying out their mission to the best of their ability for the duration of their tour here.

It was in the process of performing that mission, of coping with the loss of loved ones, and of just being themselves as American soldiers, that these young men were able to win over the admiration and affection of more than one journalist who had arrived in their midst harboring a less-than-positive opinion of the Iraq war, and of those who were tasked with prosecuting it.

“I love those guys,” Beriain said, looking wistfully out the window of our cloister here in the Green Zone. “From the first time you go kick a door with them, they accept you – you’re one of them. I’ve even got a “family photo” with them” to remember them by. “I really hated to leave.”

Such a radical transformation – and such a strong bond of affection – forged in so little time. “It’s those common experiences,” Beriain explained, “where you are all in danger, and you go through it together. It builds a relationship instantly.”

It doesn’t matter how skeptical of the war a journalist might be, according to an Army public affairs officer (PAO) who spoke with me about it on condition of anonymity. “So often, they come out of that experience and – even if their opinion of the war hasn’t changed – they’re completely won over by the troops.”

“I was one of those,” admitted Beriain, speaking broken English and blinking away tears. “No matter what you think of the war, or what has happened here, you cannot be around the soldiers and not be completely affected. They are amazing people, and they represent themselves and the Army better than anyone could ever imagine.” A retired Army officer concurred, telling me that “young troops are some of the best good will ambassadors we've ever produced. It would never occur to one to not tell you what he's really thinking, and they are so earnest” that it is almost impossible not to be won over by them if given enough time.

The biggest recent case of a journalist with an anti-war mindset being completely overwhelmed into a change of heart by American soldiers, according to the PAO, was a Greek reporter who had been embedded with a cavalry unit that became entrenched in a 45-minute firefight with insurgents. Taking cover and fearing for his life for the almost hour-long duration of the battle, the journalist had the best view possible of American soldiers in action against an armed and murderous enemy, and credits his having lived to tell the tale directly to those young troops.

“He had tears in his eyes as he talked about it,” said the PAO. “He just kept saying, “they saved my life, they saved my life...these are great men; they are heroes.” He couldn’t get through the story without choking up – and this was a man who had arrived here with all of the disdain for the Iraq mission and for the American soldiers who he saw as the bad guys in this fight.”

While it may be decried by some for causing journalists, who claim the utopian titles of “objective” and “neutral” for their reportage, to lose their cold detachment and actually begin to see the soldiers they live alongside as humans, it is that very fact that makes the practice of embedding reporters with military units so beneficial to both parties. Rather than observing events from a safely detached distance – and thus being able to remove the human element from the equation – embedded reporters are forced to face up to the humanity of their subjects, and to share common experiences – often of the life-and-death variety – with those who they are covering. Human nature being what it is, such close working conditions, and such common experiences, will have an effect on both parties involved – and it is a testament both to the soldiers themselves, and to the journalists who volunteer to live and work alongside them, that that effect has, in so many cases, been so positive.

Kirk,

I figured you would be following the draft, though I probably should have updated here with UDFA news. Here's the thread with several story links on rookie camp http://www.patriotsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23248. Seau is expected to re-sign next week after a physical, as reported by the SD Union-Tribune.

Mangini invited 51 people to rookie camp for the Jests, including the #1 & #2 nationally ranked NCAA wrestlers and a guard from the Virginia Commonwealth basketball team that upset Duke in round one of the NCAA tourney. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/13/sports/football/13jets.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

From the Herald's blog:
May 10th, 2007
“The Tribe”
Posted by Albert Breer at 6:49 pm

In light of all that’s gone on in the last year between Bill Belichick and Eric Mangini, and the since-reconciled Belichick-Bill Parcells relationship, we’re gonna pass something along that goes completely in the other direction.

The guy who looks like he might be the next one in line, new Notre Dame defensive coordinator Corwin Brown, got on the horn with us earlier this week and, in discussing his pedigree, emphasized the tight-knit culture surrounding the Parcells tree. It stemmed from Brown commenting on working for his new boss, Irish coach Charlie Weis.

“When you’re part of ‘The Tribe’, you know the guys are gonna be competitive. Coach (Weis) is gonna compete now, he wants to win,” said Brown, a former Patriot, Jet and Lion safety. “Like with any family, you get mad at each other. Coach Mangini and I didn’t always see eye-to-eye, but we knew what was inside one another. At the end of the day, I want to see him win and he wants to see me win. I want to see Belichick win, I want to see (Virginia coach) Al (Groh) win, I want to see Parcells win, I want to see all of them win.”

Brown played for Parcells for the first six years of his career, first with the Pats (1993-96) and then the Jets (1997-98.) Even then, he knew he was headed for coaching, and Belichick helped him to that end in ‘97 and ‘98, by inviting him along to scout at the NFL combine and help out with player evaluations.

And when Brown embarked on his new career, it was Groh that gave him his start, as Virginia’s special teams coach from 2001-03. Also, last year, when Mangini was assembling his new staff with the Jets, Brown was one of the few that he kept from Herm Edwards‘ crew.

Being part of the group means the world to Brown. The proof, too, is obvious. Despite having worked in Donnie Edwards‘ Baltimore system for a couple years with the Jets, Brown is installing the gap-control 3-4 that Belichick and Parcells have always favored with the Irish.

He’s doing it because he believes in those coaches’ way.

“I take a tremendous amount of pride in that those guys have allowed me to be a part of that,” said Brown. “More than anything else, we all have a good relationship. And it’s not always football we’re talking about, everyone cares about the next guy and that’s a great thing to be a part of.”

On Belichick’s strengths, in particular, Brown had this: “He’s unbelievable at finding out what the opponent’s strengths are, what their weaknesses are, and finding the guys who will beat you. And then he carries it out by having sound game-planning with an emphasis on fundamentals and execution.”

Kirk,

You've been quiet for awhile...hope your just overworked. How's your fan/DVD/gedunk situation, any needs? I've been shopping for PFC Shawn-stud muffin of A Co. 1/18 Inf and wondered how you're doing as the weather warms up.

R/Marc

Back