How far ahead do I have to plan?

Giant Octopodes

Reaction score
So I was looking at tickets for the Broncos- Patriots game, which is over 2 months away, only to find that not only is it sold out, but instead of being a "half price game" with tickets ranging from $40 - $140, secondary market ticket prices bottom out at $190, which is to say that it is 5x face value MINIMUM for tickets already.

So how far ahead do I need to plan in order to actually catch a Patriots game? Denver was my preference because flights are cheap, they are in a state where let's just say it would be an overall enjoyable day before / of the game experience, and the Broncos don't totally suck, so it would be a good game. However now that they're sold out, as is every other game this year except what should be a terrible and meaningless game in Miami, it appears this is not the year for me. The idea of paying $200+ for cheap seats tickets doesn't jive with me, I'd pay for a great seat and a memorable experience but I'm not paying $200 to not really see what's going on and I'm CERTAINLY not paying $3000 for great seats.

In order to actually get tickets at face value, what's the timeline? Start of preseason? As soon as they go on sale in July? I'm frustrated that this is not the year for me, but if I'm going to catch an actual game I moreso just need to know what's required for next year. Sorry so much of this post is me venting, any and all help you can provide is greatly appreciated!

I think any good team that you would really want to see probably sells out, so the only realistic way of getting the tix at face value is the day they go on sale.

But I have never gone to an away market game, so I am just guessing.

So I was looking at tickets for the Broncos- Patriots game, which is over 2 months away, only to find that not only is it sold out, but instead of being a "half price game" with tickets ranging from $40 - $140, secondary market ticket prices bottom out at $190, which is to say that it is 5x face value MINIMUM for tickets already.

So how far ahead do I need to plan in order to actually catch a Patriots game? Denver was my preference because flights are cheap, they are in a state where let's just say it would be an overall enjoyable day before / of the game experience, and the Broncos don't totally suck, so it would be a good game. However now that they're sold out, as is every other game this year except what should be a terrible and meaningless game in Miami, it appears this is not the year for me. The idea of paying $200+ for cheap seats tickets doesn't jive with me, I'd pay for a great seat and a memorable experience but I'm not paying $200 to not really see what's going on and I'm CERTAINLY not paying $3000 for great seats.

In order to actually get tickets at face value, what's the timeline? Start of preseason? As soon as they go on sale in July? I'm frustrated that this is not the year for me, but if I'm going to catch an actual game I moreso just need to know what's required for next year. Sorry so much of this post is me venting, any and all help you can provide is greatly appreciated!

I have looked at several different choices for games and quite frankly, the next time they visit Ford Field might be the next time I go. The Pats played the Lions at Gillette in 2014. They play the NFC North again in 2018. I guess that means the Pats will be at Ford Field.

If this is correct, I WilL (I hope) be at Ford myself. I'll buy you a beer.

I have looked at several different choices for games and quite frankly, the next time they visit Ford Field might be the next time I go. The Pats played the Lions at Gillette in 2014. They play the NFC North again in 2018. I guess that means the Pats will be at Ford Field.

If this is correct, I WilL (I hope) be at Ford myself. I'll buy you a beer.

This is correct. They will be @Det and @Chi, they will host GB and Min.

This is correct. They will be @Det and @Chi, they will host GB and Min.

Hmmmm.... at Soldier Field would be VERY COOL. Hideously expensive, but very cool.

I know that if I offer to buy 2-3 games worth of tickets from a Lion's season tix holder that I can get the Pats game as part of the package. While the Lions aren't my team, I have enjoyed a game or two at Ford Field in the past while wearing the hat and drinking the beverage in the picture to the left.

The only way to do it without getting gouged is to buy them the day that they go on sale and I don't mean just whenever on that day. You have to be on the website ready to go before the actual release time arrives. Even then you're not guaranteed. I'm 50/50 in that department. I was able to get tickets to the Titans game back in 09 but this year I tried to get tickets to the Seahawks game and struck out. That was the only game that we could do with our kid's school and athletic schedules so I had to bend over and take it from Stubhub.

The only way to do it without getting gouged is to buy them the day that they go on sale and I don't mean just whenever on that day. You have to be on the website ready to go before the actual release time arrives. Even then you're not guaranteed. I'm 50/50 in that department. I was able to get tickets to the Titans game back in 09 but this year I tried to get tickets to the Seahawks game and struck out. That was the only game that we could do with our kid's school and athletic schedules so I had to bend over and take it from Stubhub.

The ticket resellers have a monopoly on those purchases simply due to the volume of people they have hitting ticketmaster. There are very few available to begin with. Even with the ticket exchange, the general speculation is that the resellers are constantly scouring the exchange ready to scoop up the higher profile games when a few tickets do become available.

I've had good luck on eBay in the past

Paid a little bit more than face, but have gotten good seats (I don't sit in nosebleeds on the road) and no issues. Purchases are protected by paypal, only do business with 100% feedback people and always read the positive reps too

Back